Legendary clubs

• Thread starter Swede
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
We have First Ave....

year ago my old band played the 7th street entry portion of that place.

Detroit was famous for The Grande Ballroom in the old days. MC5, Stooges, Seger, Nuge all played there. In my time the big club was (and still is) St. Andrews Hall...known mostly for showcasing punk, alternative, etc but it also has had small shows with people like Dylan and Paul Simon.

eh-St.AndrewsHall-47069.jpg

terrible electric system though. very noisy.
downstairs there's a club called The Shelter; made famouser in the movie 8 Mile...it's where Eminem wins the rap battle (the scene's not filmed at the club though)

here's the link (since rap is popular here on the forum. ;) )

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gatNLacOjC8[/ame]

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
A handful of what I consider to be legendary NJ clubs that I played at as a kid. It's a shame, quite a few of these places don't exist anymore, and some would say the same about the local music scene in NJ.

The Brighton Bar
View attachment 21018

The Court Tavern
View attachment 21019

The Fast Lane
View attachment 21020

The Melody Bar
View attachment 21021

The Stone Pony
View attachment 21022

A few more in NY and NJ.

CBGB's
View attachment 21023

Coney Island High
View attachment 21024

The Lion's Den
View attachment 21025

The Saint
View attachment 21026

Yup, I played at some of these places when I was growing up back in the day. Remember Jacko? He booked most of our shows at these clubs.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
it burned down but a lot of talent went through this place w/ famous signatures all over the walls-
Austin_-_Black_Cat_sign.jpg

dsn716

Reaction score
Yup, I played at some of these places when I was growing up back in the day. Remember Jacko? He booked most of our shows at these clubs.

Yes sir, he booked local bands for Club Bene and the Birch Hill at one time as well.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my time the big club was (and still is) St. Andrews Hall...known mostly for showcasing punk, alternative, etc but it also has had small shows with people like Dylan and Paul Simon.

eh-St.AndrewsHall-47069.jpg

Firebirdin' w/ Sonics Rendezvous Band shirt , Saint Andrews De-riot about 7 years ago