Les Paul Suggestions

• Thread starter Marshall Stack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Have to disagree with a couple of points above; the 60's neck isn't skinny as such. Thinnest neck to be found on an LP, but thicker than many strat necks, and definitely not in Ibanez Jem territory.

The Classic Les Paul isn't a budget LP! It's a plain top, that's what makes it slightly cheaper. Studio is a plain top with no binding, which makes it slightly cheaper again.

I agree :agreed:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
It is time for me to get another Les Paul. I used to have a 78 Standard, an early 90s standard. It has been 15 years since having one.

I hear of R8 and R9 but not sure what that means and hear of 50s and 60s necks. I don't know what kind of necks or what "R" serious they were. I also see traditional and classic series. I'm willing to go up to $3500 if it will retain value. Is there a certain style, a certain time period?

Check this out, its super cool!

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPCT19?siid=243280

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

God of Thunder

Reaction score
The late 2019+ Standards are a lot better than many of the other Standards. Gibson finally returned to its roots. The new Standard has a solid body (no weight relief), 50s/60s necks - slimmer binding on the neck more period correct, etc. I briefly tried a 2011 Standard that was chambered - and that was a light son of a gun. As far as Traditionals go - many think they are the "true" Standard of the past few years (going back to 2013). You can find out all about them at www.gibsontraditional.com

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
Someone on the forum had a link to a video comparing an Epiphone LP, a custom Epiphone, and a Gibson LP. The burstbuckers seemed bright on the USA LP. If that the general consensus?

Also, how do you spot a fake LP?

giblesp

Reaction score
The late 2019+ Standards are a lot better than many of the other Standards. Gibson finally returned to its roots. The new Standard has a solid body (no weight relief), 50s/60s necks - slimmer binding on the neck more period correct, etc. I briefly tried a 2011 Standard that was chambered - and that was a light son of a gun. As far as Traditionals go - many think they are the "true" Standard of the past few years (going back to 2013). You can find out all about them at www.gibsontraditional.com

Interesting. Would love to try out the new Standards. Looks like the Classic gets the same pick ups as the 60's Standard this year. Shame they didn't include Wine Red, Black, Honeyburst in the finishes though.

I'm just fantasizing here, I can't afford shit right now :)

Marshall Stack

Reaction score

giblesp

Reaction score
Someone on the forum had a link to a video comparing an Epiphone LP, a custom Epiphone, and a Gibson LP. The burstbuckers seemed bright on the USA LP. If that the general consensus?

Also, how do you spot a fake LP?

Everything including the Burstbuckers, is going to sound and feel better than an Epiphone or a fake. When buying used, I ask for a picture of the serial number and check it here. https://www.gibson.com/Support/Serial-Number-Search

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Have you played? It does look like something I would want..
I watched lots of videos and was sold, then found out its not available in lefty :(

Honeyburst and ebony both are sweet, it would be tough to decide between the two although I'm leaning towards the honeyburst. 57 and 57+ pickups are awesome and the price I cant get over how affordable they are for such a nice looking LP! Nice light weight easy to handle, huge sound! :yesway:

Last edited:

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Would that be in the timeframe of the Richlite?

That's not a "Custom" Custom as you typically know. It's a Classic, but a Custom version of one. It has a rosewood board. I think they are fairly sought after and the prices in some cases hit the roof. I think I saw my gold one around $3300 now.

Sapient

 
Reaction score

Wow! Very nice. I didn't know they were doing real standards again. Good days for sure. This almost seems like a give-away:

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product...lection-les-paul-standard-50s-102/?cat_id=284

Consider that gone. Lol

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score

MarshallDog

Reaction score

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

RCM 800

Reaction score
My chambered studio was one of my favorite guitars of all time but sadly I had to let it go because of a period of financial hardship. I think it was an 08 model. Always on the lookout for another one. I had 5 or 6 swiss cheese standards from like 03 to 06 and I thought they were nice guitars but let them all go. I now only have my 98 R7 Custom and it was perfect flawless until I got it and played the hell out of it. Light for a custom and plays like butter even with the beefy fat neck. Anyways good luck in your search OP. Id love to get my mits on a R7 or R8 standard to add to the fold but Gibson prices have just gotten ridiculous.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
In the past weeks I've played a handful of the new Standards (50/60's) and Classics at a couple places, all were excellent guitars. I like the looks of binding, so a Studio is out for me. The Tributes are 1/2 the price and not half the guitar, but don't hold up well against the Classic & Standard IMO. I'd rather spend the money and be completely happy than spend less and suffer from 'ya, but'.

At new prices, it would be hard to pay $500 more for a Standard over Classic based on tone, and playability. OTOH a used 19 or 20 Standard with a great top at the same price as the Classic new seems like a great option.

Last edited:

Marshall Stack

Reaction score