Les Paul Suggestions

• Thread starter Marshall Stack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what kind of neck I want. I borrowed one of these epiphone guitars (link below) from my friend and the neck is really nice. I can play clean arpeggios like on Long Distance Runaround whereas my George Benson and Strat Plus is a little harder.

There is a guitar shop that someone here mentioned (Eddie's Guitars) that has several LPs but they aren't opening the store at all. Looks like it is just delivery.

https://reverb.com/item/2665913-epi...l-double-cut-korean-made-rare-1995-cherry-red

Last edited:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what kind of neck I want. I borrowed one of these epiphone guitars (link below) from my friend and the neck is really nice. I can play clean arpeggios like on Long Distance Runaround whereas my George Benson and Strat Plus is a little harder.

There is a guitar shop that someone here mentioned (Eddie's Guitars) that has several LPs but they aren't opening the store at all. Looks like it is just delivery.

https://reverb.com/item/2665913-epi...l-double-cut-korean-made-rare-1995-cherry-red

Les Paul Specials and Juniors are my actual favorites. I don't really like what Epiphone does with the aesthetics ,but I love p-90 guitars

Gibson has lots of variations of the Special which aint too bad
This almost looks worthy of a drive to middle TN ........

Gibson Les Paul Special P90 - musical instruments - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
Les Paul Specials and Juniors are my actual favorites. I don't really like what Epiphone does with the aesthetics ,but I love p-90 guitars

Gibson has lots of variations of the Special which aint too bad
This almost looks worthy of a drive to middle TN ........

Gibson Les Paul Special P90 - musical instruments - by owner - sale (craigslist.org)
What do you call that type of neck?

I'm not looking for a junior. My buddy offered it to me pretty cheap but the tuners and electronics are bad. Not sure if the P90s. It is also the ugly TV yellow. Wish it was like the one on Reverb.

Last edited:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you call that type of neck?

I'm not looking for a junior. My buddy offered it to me pretty cheap but the tuners and electronics are bad. Not sure if the P90s. It is also the ugly TV yellow. Wish it was like the one on Reverb.

Well, looks like that Special is gone ....just like that

Gibson USA production guitars usually have a not so thick neck ..........because they're cheapin' out ,
slim taper I guess they call it

About every 3 years or so they give you a choice on the USA standards , 50s vs 60s
Custom shop guitars have that as well , but there's big difference between 54 vs 59 vs 60
Although like I said before ,to me , a Custom Shop '60 seems to be still fairly girthy

Im now 58 yrs old and 6'5", I want a big neck !

giblesp

Reaction score
Well, looks like that Special is gone ....just like that

Gibson USA production guitars usually have a not so thick neck ..........because they're cheapin' out ,
slim taper I guess they call it

About every 3 years or so they give you a choice on the USA standards , 50s vs 60s
Custom shop guitars have that as well , but there's big difference between 54 vs 59 vs 60
Although like I said before ,to me , a Custom Shop '60 seems to be still fairly girthy

Im now 58 yrs old and 6'5", I want a big neck !

There's usually 50's necks in the Gibson catalogue every year, as far as I know, with the Trads being a bit thicker again.

The Standards had asymmetrical necks for a while, doubt they were cheaper to make.

The Studio's were 59 rounded until about 2012, then they were 60's slim taper.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's usually 50's necks in the Gibson catalogue every year, as far as I know, with the Trads being a bit thicker again.

I wouldn't know exactly ,as I don't buy new sh*t. I just kinda noticed the nomenclature , "50s /60s neck" maybe in the MF catalogs I used to get in the mail ....in the 21st Century

I got a 2001 Deluxe that has what I guess is a "59" neck . It's pretty comfortable . I really like it , for an over-the-counter Gibson. Good to know they've had that option for a couple decades . Pencil necks make my hand hurt

I got a 90s Studio DC, while it is a great guitar ,the neck girth is lacking , I think Im gonna let it go

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a junior.

I don't even know what to say .......:lol:
My BEST Les Pauls

full

full

full

Last edited:

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
I don't even know what to say .......:lol:
My BEST Les Pauls

full

full

full

If I did buy the guitar (I think he wants $200 or less) what P-90 pickups would you suggest? I don't think it would be worth it to buy really good Lollars or something like that.. It is an Epiphone.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some Epiphone p-90s are basically their version of the real thing .Maybe some ,on the cheaper guitars are some throwaway ceramic BS . I have a couple Epiphone p-90 guitars with totally legit pickups

Otherwise , I mostly use Duncan sp-90-1b in the bridge. It's wound like a 60's p-90 , and usually a stock Gibson p-90 in the neck . A couple guitars I have a slug pole Gibson p-90 in the neck ...a little cleaner than bar magnet steel pole pickups

southbound suarez

Reaction score
While Im not a big fan of the burst Standard cult , I kinda like the sunburst Customs ,like James Williamson & Steve Miller used to play

A few years ago I told a longtime buddy about this R7 that survived Katrina. It wasn't damaged beyond lookin like a slight relic job .But he whined about it not being a new guitar and al this n that and passed it up. Meanwhile the guy let me have the R7 for 1400.

A few months later my buddy bought this showboat , Custom Shop '68 Custom reissue,although I don't believe a real '68 had that flame.

full

About 4 years ago guy was having a moving sale and had an '89 Gibson USA production Sunburst Custom for 1500. I was pretty tempted ,but it was just bad timing for me . The early post Norlin regular production guitars were pretty damn good .I kinda hated that I missed that one

I was cruisin around ebay just seeing what prices are these days ,and whaddya know.....a sunburst custom w/ Chainsaw case.....the kind with metal latches.

1988 Gibson Les Paul Custom Sunburst with Gibson Hard Case Pre-owned Nice! | eBay

Also spotted a Custom Shop '68

2006 Gibson Custom Shop '68 Reissue Les Paul Custom Tri Burst | eBay
Those are some sweet looking Gibson Customs and right at about the 3k ballpark. The first eBay listing had a total of like 17 bids and came in just under 3k .... Boy I would have sold blood plasma to snatch up that one Custom at 1500! But I remember back in the the day my '78 custom cost $1250 with the case.
I am sorry but these Lester's that I see when I walk into the big box stores such as Sam Ash or Guitar Center just don't do it for me.... The extra premium placed on them over mid priced guitars is hard to justify. Yeah, I can understand the premium on a real Les Paul , but none of these new production guitars feel like the real deal,,, not until I start looking at some of the signature models and Custom Shop Standard Guitars and even the "R" series of Gits at their price point makes for agonizing time finding "the one"!
Then for that kind of money invested, why would I want to even play the guitar and worry about every ding and scratch.... Nope, I think a older used guitar with genuine play wear and rash has more character. I think that I prefer the fixer upper Player guitar market more so than these investment 3k and up instruments.... But who knows, maybe I will come across a ratty "R" guitar for a deal or a garage sale Custom at $1500 just at the same time the money is burning a hole and my ballsack and thigh need to cool off!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

southbound suarez

Reaction score
If I did buy the guitar (I think he wants $200 or less) what P-90 pickups would you suggest? I don't think it would be worth it to buy really good Lollars or something like that.. It is an Epiphone.
Get the lollars and never look back. The money saved on a slab of wood branded as epiphone vs gibson is made up for with the pup and you will have nice tone regardless. They are a very nice P90.
It's a shame that P90s aren't as esthetically pleasing a look on a LesPaul, because they certainly make a great tone.
At least they look right on the JR!
Ya realize that to have great tone it has to have the look too:agreed:

Marshall Stack

Reaction score
Get the lollars and never look back. The money saved on a slab of wood branded as epiphone vs gibson is made up for with the pup and you will have nice tone regardless. They are a very nice P90.
It's a shame that P90s aren't as esthetically pleasing a look on a LesPaul, because they certainly make a great tone.
At least they look right on the JR!
Ya realize that to have great tone it has to have the look too:agreed:
I wish it was red / natural color. TV yellow is ugly.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Have owned many LP's over the years (Standards, Traditional, Classic, Studio, etc). - The new 2019/2020 Les Paul Standards are the best guitars (and best value) Gibson has produced in 60 years IMO. My 2020 LP Standard 50's (fatter neck/lower output pups) is an amazing guitar for the price - like getting a production R8. For $2499 New and less used, the new LP Standard's are an amazing deal.
That all being said, my PRS McCarty 594 is a much better guitar than any LP I've ever played (and I'm a huge Gibson fanboy).
A LP and a PRS McCarty are not even close to the same instrument. Apples and oranges. Besides the obvious tonal differences the PRS doesn't have anywhere close to the neck girth of the Historic Gibsons.

"Better" is subjective is my point ;)

zachman

Reaction score
It is time for me to get another Les Paul. I used to have a 78 Standard, an early 90s standard. It has been 15 years since having one.

I hear of R8 and R9 but not sure what that means and hear of 50s and 60s necks. I don't know what kind of necks or what "R" serious they were. I also see traditional and classic series. I'm willing to go up to $3500 if it will retain value. Is there a certain style, a certain time period?

Your '78 was a maple neck, 60's slim taper profile

zachman

Reaction score
Thanks. That helps a lot. I know that I liked it. I also like my friend's 2000 LP and it seems thin. He didn't know what it is considered.

:cheers:

The 50's necks are like baseball bats. The 60's necks are slim (My preference). Most of the necks on LP's are mahogany, but I think '78, '79, '80, and '81 they used maple, which I prefer as they're less susceptible to warping. I may be mistaken re: '80 & '81.

I have a '79 Standard and a '78 Custom, both maple necks.

I know that most LP's post 2012 are weight relieved and the customs don't use real Ebony on the fretboards like in the old days. That may be starting to turn around a bit now. For me, I tend to not look too much at LP's post 1980, though some are fantastic-- just not the same kind of fantastic. My $.02

:cheers:

Last edited:

southbound suarez

Reaction score
I dunno about all that custom light stuff.
A Les Paul Custom just needs to be heavy and thick. Custom should be ebony board .... And remember they were called fretless wonders for a reason !