Lighter Gibson Les Paul?

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
Just go to the Sweetwater web site and check out some Pauls. They give the weight for each guitar that they have in stock, so you can check out a few models and get an idea of what each weighs.

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
They are not weight relieved since around 2011-2012. Trads before that do have the swiss cheese weight relief method.

There are three main types of Gibson weight relieving:
1) 9 hole swiss cheese. This is the standard method Gibson has used since the late 50s. All those heavy solid Les Pauls from yesteryear that everyone raves about? Swiss cheesed.
2) Chambering. This is the one everyone seems to hate. Chambers are scooped out of the body and it affects the tone, but the weight savings is not that significant over the swiss cheese method.
3) Modern pie slices. This one is an improvement on the chambering. You still get pretty significant weight relief but without all the honky resonance of chambering.

The reason Les Pauls sustain the way they do is because the huge massive heavy body resists vibration. All that vibrating string energy stays in the string between the nut and bridge. The heavy body says "nope, I will not accept you". The body does not play along with the string's vibrations. This is also partly why jamming the tailpiece all the way down to the body can sort of help with sustain. It's not the guitar "becoming one" or the body resonating or anything stupid like that. It's just the opposite. It's a more solid contact point for the string energy to basically be reflected back into the string. Actually, it's more like a steel door refusing entry into the guitar's body. Take your fist and punch a solid steel door, and then punch a hollow core door. Actually, punch the hollow door first, then the steel door. You'll break your hand, but you'll get the point. One will absorb some impact, and one will totally refuse transferring any of your energy. It's the same with neck-through guitars. Everyone loves the sustain of a neck through. Sure, why wouldn't you? It's one huge solid piece of timber the length of the string that refuses to resonate. All of that sound energy stays in the string and finds it's way through the pickups. Pickups don't pickup from the body. They pickup from the string vibrating above it. When you go removing wood and making the guitar itself more resonant, the body can't resist that string energy so easily and it vibrates with the string. You lose string energy and that natural sustain...unless of course you're in front of a loud amp. Then none of this matters. None of it.

The moral of the story: Eat your Wheaties, hit the gym, strengthen your core, and play the heaviest Les Paul you can handle. :shred::slash::cheers:
I don't remember where I read it, but I came across an article that says everything you said is wrong (no offense, el b). According to the article (which was backed up with research) neck-throughs sustain the least, glued-ins sustain in-between and bolt-ons sustain the most. I know that this goes against conventional wisdom, and I doubted it myself, but I must agree that my humble Squier Strat, unplugged, out-sustains my glued-in and neck-through guitars. Plugged in with high gain may be another thing, but that not quite tight neck to body connection of the bolt-on has a way of vibrating for a longer time. It is a resonance that you feel in the body of the guitar.

That being said, I generally perfer the sound of my neck-through and glued-in guitars through the amp.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
I don't remember where I read it, but I came across an article that says everything you said is wrong (no offense, el b). According to the article (which was backed up with research) neck-throughs sustain the least, glued-ins sustain in-between and bolt-ons sustain the most. I know that this goes against conventional wisdom, and I doubted it myself, but I must agree that my humble Squier Strat, unplugged, out-sustains my glued-in and neck-through guitars. Plugged in with high gain may be another thing, but that not quite tight neck to body connection of the bolt-on has a way of vibrating for a longer time. It is a resonance that you feel in the body of the guitar.

That being said, I generally perfer the sound of my neck-through and glued-in guitars through the amp.
Just from a basic physics standpoint none of that makes sense. But whatever. I got my info from luthiers I know and Gibson reps themselves. I admit that I'm not a luthier and I am just repeating what I've been told, and my own experiences line up with it. But no big deal. I'm just sharing some ideas.

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
The fact that in 2017 there are still two opposing (and apparently completely unprovable) viewpoints about this shows that, truly, none of us really knows anything.

Good idea about checking weights on Sweetwater though.

Conghaille

Reaction score
The fact that in 2017 there are still two opposing (and apparently completely unprovable) viewpoints about this shows that, truly, none of us really knows anything.

This is a great point. I'm not saying we're all dumb. Rather, if it was such a dramatic difference, it'd be universally accepted as common sense, like "that summer when I ate McDonalds all the time I gained 20 lbs." And everyone else says either "me too" or "duh".

I think there are traits of our instruments that are very subtle, and make it hard for the community to accept a conclusion universally.

Reaction score
There is also a LOT of psychology/self-deception. If you THINK x is supposed to make the guitar sound like y, youre going to be listening for that and probably hear it when its not there. I cant tell you how many times Ive been mixing a song and adjusted something, heard an improvement, only to realize moments later I had that effect completely disabled and was not, in fact, having any impact on the sound at all. What's that have to do with guitars? Nothing. Just pointing out the mind is a powerful thing that will fuck with you.

Dmann

Reaction score
Hey boys. So I currently have a 96 Gibson LP Standard. I like this thing a lot but I feel the weight is getting to me. Bathroom scale says it's 9ish pounds (hard to tell exactly where that needle is pointing). I realize compared to the 12 pounders that's nothing, but, it doesn't FEEL like nothing.

I understand there are some lighter models out there. 2007 (I think?) and newer LP Standards are chambered which is supposed to make them noticeably lighter, and there are other models besides the standard. I mean, I know tone/sound is generally what we're after, so I suppose if a studio sounds/feels the same then what the hell but I'd like to get a standard if I could just 'cause I know it's the bee's knees. Though I confess all the various models (classic, traditional, etc. etc.) can be confusing. Don't really know what all the differences are. Might well end up buying new pickups anyway (have a JB/Jazz combo in my current LP).

I'm also not looking to spend crazy money. . .around $1500 I know things can be found used. So no $3500 suggestions, please.

Any thoughts?

I just weighed my 2002 Desert Burst LP standard, it apparently has the swiss cheese hole weight relief. It also has Custom Seymour Duncan pickups and replica 1959 tuners. Also has Dunlop strap lock's installed. The reason I mention is I believe these change the weight slightly.

it weighs; without the strap, 7.6 lbs

Reaction score
7.6? Damn, son. That is light. Is that something unique to that year? Or you think your pickups/tuners/etc. are so light they took a pound or half a pound off?

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
Just from a basic physics standpoint none of that makes sense. But whatever. I got my info from luthiers I know and Gibson reps themselves. I admit that I'm not a luthier and I am just repeating what I've been told, and my own experiences line up with it. But no big deal. I'm just sharing some ideas.
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here nor to derail the thread, but I thought you and others might find this an interesting read.

http://www.cycfi.com/2013/11/sustain-myth-science/

I don't think that this definitively proves that bolt-ons always sustain longer than glue-ins, but it is intriguing.

Last edited:

el_bastardo

Reaction score
I don't mean to beat a dead horse here nor to derail the thread, but I thought you and others might find this an interesting read.

http://www.cycfi.com/2013/11/sustain-myth-science/

I don't think that this definitively proves that bolt-ons always sustain longer than glue-ins, but it is intriguing.
It is, but it's flawed immediately and I stopped reading. He used wav samples from some unknown source. Did he verify string condition, string gauge, pickup height, etc? For example, if the Strat has brand new .11s on it and the LP has old cruddy 9s, then of course the Strat will sustain more.

johnfv

Reaction score
As for the original topic, the double cut standards are light and comfortable. It's got a lot of hollow area inside, in some ways similar to the center block construction of a 335. You can find used ones for pretty cheap too. Not exactly a traditional Les Paul but a nice (light) option.
LP Std DC top closeup.jpg
LP Std DC 1.jpg

The Ozzk

Reaction score
As for the original topic, the double cut standards are light and comfortable. It's got a lot of hollow area inside, in some ways similar to the center block construction of a 335. You can find used ones for pretty cheap too. Not exactly a traditional Les Paul but a nice (light) option.
View attachment 41936
View attachment 41937
:cool: well hello there...

johnfv

Reaction score
The double cut tone is very similar to "traditional" Les Paul. I'm not saying it's "the same" but definitely close. An SG for example is a different thing...

johnfv

Reaction score
Not trying to compare to a specific model, what I meant was a "typical" Les Paul. If weight is important to you, the double cut models are worth checking out.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
I hear you, pal.

First, the purist side of me might have said something like: not mahogany or channeling the body: kinda defeats the purpose of a Les Paul. Sometimes a thing aint what it is.

Then I might have said: maybe you really need an ES or 339?

Then I hurt my back. I've been fighting between playing till I over-tire my back and try to recover. I go without playing much for a couple days, then I get fed up or just play too long, and now it's a set-back.

And I simply will not play a guitar sitting on a chair. Don't know why; just the way it is.

So...sigh...there's a Squier Bullet in the mail now, because the thing's under 7 pounds and actually has at least marginal build quality (if the QC dude wasn't napping as it rolled through.)

And I'm not getting younger, so this is probably something I'll be more aware of as time moves on.

Thanks for the wake-up call. Sorry you're in a spot. Wish you the best.

-I was gonna mention the 335's , 339's I don't remember which is the smaller bodied one-(lsnt the Chris Cornell Sig, a small bodied 335 variant?)- (I'm too young for those, but too old for a FLYING V, EXPLORER or pretty much anything that's not standard shaped & colored)-I thought Gibson made a semi hollow, small bodied LES PAUL, if not, there are quality manufacturers that do.

-I'm also a stand up only player, I never new it was abnormal, well until I took a couple courses on musical science-(was about how different cultures made song structure, its influence blah, blah FUCKIN blah)-

-definitely check, and be aware of your body posture when playing, its like the mechanic's we use with our fretting hand, ironically, not only is it wrong, but more than likely the absolute worst position imaginable-(your wrist angle dictates everything, from finger tips to neck, probably the back as well, and the more angle in the wrist, the result is magnified, and the stress, pressure and damage happens fast, ask RIVER RAT)-

-Hope its a simple fix, like your favorite Velcro strapped sneakers, you bought in 1986, are so worn out, unevenly to the left because you live on the side of a mountain that your compensating, like the leaning tower of PISA

SG~GUY

Reaction score
This is a great point. I'm not saying we're all dumb. Rather, if it was such a dramatic difference, it'd be universally accepted as common sense, like "that summer when I ate McDonalds all the time I gained 20 lbs." And everyone else says either "me too" or "duh".

I think there are traits of our instruments that are very subtle, and make it hard for the community to accept a conclusion universally.

-ahhh yes!!-

Then the lawsuits-(well its obviously McDonalds fault I'm fat!!)-(thou they've always been fat)-

-then the demise, the death of "SUPER SIZED" there's always one ass clown, that ruins everything good for the rest of us-

SG~GUY

Reaction score
-OK, show of hands, who here among us, the inner circle MFer's!!-(MFah's!! Boston pronunciation)-thinks its not the guitar, more likely posture, mechanic's or something similar.

-or maybe!!.. A brilliant ploy!! justifying a new LES PAUL to the ole lady, for serious, health problems, its killed thousands already, with a horrible death, zero chance at survival if left on treated, but the best doctors & scientist's just found a way to stop the progress, its a new, CUSTOM SHOP LES PAUL, the most accurate 3-D imaging literaly makes it to fit your body, and nobody elses.