Looking for one more OD pedal for my SV20h

• Thread starter Shane Stevenson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jmp45

Reaction score
Yes, +1 for the Bad Monkey.
Got that on my O20H board also.

You keep mentioning the Tube Driver...
There's one local (CL) to me that just has 3 knobs (one tone).
View attachment 147443
You've got the 4-knob (Hi-Lo EQ) IIRC.

I have the 4 knob + bias knob. I run the bias around 70%. I can't help you with the 3 knob, no experience with them.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
I’m very happy with the pedals I’m using with my SV20h and LP loaded with bare knuckle black dogs. I’m ditching the spark mini and putting it with another amp. I’m in search of one more OD pedal that’s not a TS type. I’ve got the Tube Screamer thing covered with my TS808hw and BD-2.

I have seriously considered the Timmy and almost pulled the trigger on the V2 last night. I’ve never used a Timmy but it seems like every time there’s a subject dealing with OD pedals the Timmy is praised.

I also considered the OCD and a RAT. Is there a pedal that some of you guys can’t live without and that work well with the SV20h?
I have 10 marshall amps...not yours...but they all love the Fulltone full-drive. Same DNA as the OCD, but with more flex. The black v3, the blue mosfet, or the red v2. All work beautifully. As well as the EP compressor for boosting cleans.

V-man

Reaction score
Per the OP

A Tim/my is NOT an OD, nor is a Klone. Those are clean boosts.

They get a lot of praise because ODs, while glorious on MV Marshalls, are not very good with NMVs. I am not saying your favorite 1-2 ODs don’t sound great (to you) on your 4-holer. I am saying out of 3 dozen ODs at random, you’d be hard-pressed to find 6 you like and likely 2 dozen of the 3 would somehow not be pleasant to you.

Dicking around on another OD is the colossal waste of time we are all guilty of doing, but if you don’t have your ducks in a row with the essentials, you are really doing yourself a disservice.

Do you have an “OD” (an actual OD) you like on a NMV Marshall? STOP RIGHT THERE and ask this…

Do you have a quality Treble Booster? NO- WTF are you dicking around with another OD then?! Yes? continue on.

Do you have a proper Clean Boost? NO - again, WTF?! Go educate yourself and get that. Yes? Continue on.

Do you have an EQ pedal that you have used on its own, stacked with your other drives (that also stacked into each other)? No? You are just lazy and hoping the ”bump“ in the OD’s drive section will magically EQ for you. Go play with what you have… for a while, then go piss your money away on another drive.

This is exactly what I would have beat over my own head back when.

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
Per the OP

A Tim/my is NOT an OD, nor is a Klone. Those are clean boosts.

They get a lot of praise because ODs, while glorious on MV Marshalls, are not very good with NMVs. I am not saying your favorite 1-2 ODs don’t sound great (to you) on your 4-holer. I am saying out of 3 dozen ODs at random, you’d be hard-pressed to find 6 you like and likely 2 dozen of the 3 would somehow not be pleasant to you.

Dicking around on another OD is the colossal waste of time we are all guilty of doing, but if you don’t have your ducks in a row with the essentials, you are really doing yourself a disservice.

Do you have an “OD” (an actual OD) you like on a NMV Marshall? STOP RIGHT THERE and ask this…

Do you have a quality Treble Booster? NO- WTF are you dicking around with another OD then?! Yes? continue on.

Do you have a proper Clean Boost? NO - again, WTF?! Go educate yourself and get that. Yes? Continue on.

Do you have an EQ pedal that you have used on its own, stacked with your other drives (that also stacked into each other)? No? You are just lazy and hoping the ”bump“ in the OD’s drive section will magically EQ for you. Go play with what you have… for a while, then go piss your money away on another drive.

This is exactly what I would have beat over my own head back when.
😳 you’re a scary musician but I honestly appreciate your directness! To the point is all I understand.

Here is what I’m rolling with. I’m gonna move the spark mini to another board. The wah doesn’t interfere with my tuner being true bypass so I like it on the end.
IMG_6080.jpeg
I’m beginning to think a great clean boost is what I should put in place of the spark. Not for volume but more of my existing tone. The EQ pedal is my “always on pedal”. It now stays set to a slight frowny face mid hump. No treble booster…I just never believed I needed one.

The BD-2 is kicked on for some rhythm and solos, same with the 808. Just different songs and different sounds. The Ironman II Mini is kicked on with solos to equal the vocal level. It works much better than any pedal I’ve tried for specifically getting heard. The SV is almost out of headroom the way I run it so that’s where the Ironman comes in. It’s my solution so don’t judge 😁.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
😳 you’re a scary musician but I honestly appreciate your directness! To the point is all I understand.

Here is what I’m rolling with. I’m gonna move the spark mini to another board. The wah doesn’t interfere with my tuner being true bypass so I like it on the end.
View attachment 147473
I’m beginning to think a great clean boost is what I should put in place of the spark. Not for volume but more of my existing tone. The EQ pedal is my “always on pedal”. It now stays set to a slight frowny face mid hump. No treble booster…I just never believed I needed one.

The BD-2 is kicked on for some rhythm and solos, same with the 808. Just different songs and different sounds. The Ironman II Mini is kicked on with solos to equal the vocal level. It works much better than any pedal I’ve tried for specifically getting heard. The SV is almost out of headroom the way I run it so that’s where the Ironman comes in. It’s my solution so don’t judge 😁.
Have you tried reversing the order of the dirt pedals?
Spark > TS > BD-2
Juice the signal, then add color.

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
Have you tried reversing the order of the dirt pedals?
Spark > TS > BD-2
Juice the signal, then add color.
Can’t remember if I did that or not but I’ll try it this evening. Good call. Either way, I need the spark mini on another board.

Reaction score
I’m very happy with the pedals I’m using with my SV20h and LP loaded with bare knuckle black dogs. I’m ditching the spark mini and putting it with another amp. I’m in search of one more OD pedal that’s not a TS type. I’ve got the Tube Screamer thing covered with my TS808hw and BD-2.

I have seriously considered the Timmy and almost pulled the trigger on the V2 last night. I’ve never used a Timmy but it seems like every time there’s a subject dealing with OD pedals the Timmy is praised.

I also considered the OCD and a RAT. Is there a pedal that some of you guys can’t live without and that work well with the SV20h?
I like the Soldano SLO, with my sv20h, I didn't like it through the efx loop. It had treble middle bass, and volume gain presence allowing you more shaping options

WillyW

Reaction score
I bet I've been through more than 50 OD pedals. Actually, I don't use an OD pedal often. I prefer Preamp, Treble Booster and Fuzz pedals in front of an amp.

The only two OD pedals I have kept on my main big board are v1.4 OCD, which most people know all about, and a Wilson Effects Sparkling Blue. The Wilson is awesome. 3-band eq, great clipping. (Based on a Gov'nor circuit.)

It used to be in a large format, but now it's in a standard pedal size format.

I have the large format Sparkling Blue and it's my bestest most favorite OD pedal. I think I'm afraid to try the smaller version....

rounding out my top 3 are the Boss BD-2, and EHX Soul Food

BD-2w lives on my board as well...

I had an OCD before I had my SV20C and didn't like it.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t remember if I did that or not but I’ll try it this evening. Good call. Either way, I need the spark mini on another board.
Try the TS as a drive down, level up clean boost before the BD-2.
You might not need the Spark.

WillyW

Reaction score
ohh forgot to mention I had the spark mini as a clean channel always on boost and the Xotic EP boost as the dirty channel.... The EP is another pedal that will always have a home.

spark was just a whole lotta meh.... did the job, just not exciting...

(using a Boss LS-2 to boost both channels now....)

Silverdome

Reaction score
I have one, it’s my second had a V1 that shit the bed and they replaced with this V2. It is def noisy compared to other ODs/boosts
That's a bummer. I was pretty excited to check one out.

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
I can remember years ago when I was researching the SV20, so many people were all about the Tim / Timmy. I’m surprised this pedal hasn’t been talked about more.

There are some great suggestions here.

KirkD777

Reaction score
Get the Friedman Small Box pedal. 110% the best pedal I've ever used. I had a clone made by Chris at https://www.facebook.com/nocpedals. He uses only the best parts, hand-wired, guaranteed for life, and will save you a few bucks. But the regular pedal isn't terribly expensive. I just prefer this guy's work. Plus you can choose your own graphics. I chose the cover of a Thin Lizzy record but he will do anything you want. Plus he's a hell of a nice guy and is in a band. I have 8 of his pedals and they are all great. Tell him Kirk sent you. Maybe he'll give me a deal on my next one. Lol. If you want a tube screamer-type pedal with a ton of options then look at the EQD Dunes. I don't like tube screamers but this version I love and you have tons of great sound options out of it. They stopped making them but they are on Reverb or again I'd have Chris make you a clone. He's made me a bunch of rare old pedal clones too. All superior products. But the Small Box pedal is a must.

Oh and I also had him make me a clone of this. One of those magic dust pedals. It's great as well. Most people that buy one have it on all the time. Highly, highly recommended.

KirkD777

Reaction score
A
I will say what I - these days - always say: try a boost pedal instead.

Instead of any and all OD/distortion pedals, even.

Slamming the front of a tube amp with (typically) somewhere between +20dB and +30dB sure as heck changes things. But it still “sounds like amp drive” - if you’re into that, which I am. Mileage, etc.
Agreed! I use a clone of the Solo Dallas The Storm pedal. An always-on, magic dust pedal. 31db of boost! It recreates the boost that the '70s wireless units had in them. Angus used his wireless unit in the studio on BIB. Sounds great.

KirkD777

Reaction score
I bet I've been through more than 50 OD pedals. Actually, I don't use an OD pedal often. I prefer Preamp, Treble Booster and Fuzz pedals in front of an amp.

The only two OD pedals I have kept on my main big board are v1.4 OCD, which most people know all about, and a Wilson Effects Sparkling Blue. The Wilson is awesome. 3-band eq, great clipping. (Based on a Gov'nor circuit.)

It used to be in a large format, but now it's in a standard pedal size format.

Have you heard the Black Country Customs Tony Iommi Boost? I need to get one. The videos sound great!

V-man

Reaction score
I’m beginning to think a great clean boost is what I should put in place of the spark.
IMG_9748.jpegArguably the greatest clean boost (certainly for Marshall) is the Tim. Paul C releases a batch periodically then goes dormant for long years, making them expensive as hell. They have a wide array of controls for post-boost EQ control, as well as a built-in FX loop, so you can have your Tim set to an always on lo setting, then stomp the boost, which opens the loop (on the latest ver.) where your stacked blues driver and/or delay resides for a solo, colored or gainer channel.

The Timmy dispenses with the boost and the FX loop for a smaller footprint, although the MXR is a love/hate version being a mini. It is also modeled after the V2 circuit (a rabbit hole Tim/my fans can go down like everything else guitar-related)