• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Love vintage Marshalls, not into the newer amps

• Thread starter andylaughs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheMagicEight

Reaction score
Well I tried a VintageModern today, model 2466. Used a Les Paul Standard with a Recto 4x12 Slant. It was awesome! The creamy distortion with the neck pickup was fantastic, and although it's NOT the kind of amp I would want to use for most of my material / playing, it was a killer amp in its own right. Not what I expected, but a pleasant surprise.

Bunnest

Reaction score
How can you say a DSL is more dependable than a vintage handwired Marshall? DO you really think that DSL will be playing as is in 40 years?? I have 10 hand wired Marshall heads, they are always dead on quiet and ballsy as hell...if you want that modern sound, simply throw a pedal in front...reliable? unbelievably so!! come on, 40 years and still going strong? some STILL USING THE SAME FILTER CAPS AND DEAD QUIET??? fully in spec??? well see in another 40 years!! honestly, if the PCB doesnt bend and the leads fall apart...

Ken

Reaction score
How can you say a DSL is more dependable than a vintage handwired Marshall? DO you really think that DSL will be playing as is in 40 years?? I have 10 hand wired Marshall heads, they are always dead on quiet and ballsy as hell...if you want that modern sound, simply throw a pedal in front...reliable? unbelievably so!! come on, 40 years and still going strong? some STILL USING THE SAME FILTER CAPS AND DEAD QUIET??? fully in spec??? well see in another 40 years!! honestly, if the PCB doesnt bend and the leads fall apart...

My late 70's Music Man has the original caps too and is played 2-3 times a week. I agree the old stuff is bullet proof.

But I see no reason why my DSL won't be alive and kicking in 2039...what exactly are you anticipating will fail on it? It's pretty solidly built and with proper care I expect it to last longer than I will.

Ken

6StringMoFo

Reaction score
What's your problem? Why can't u accept that a DSL is a good amp? Do you REALLY believe that modern manufacturing technology has gone backwards in terms of reliability?

Why the hell would my PCB bend? I never have to go in there!! Do you play spring board with your hand wired PCB? BTW Wires get old and break, Pots get old and scratch, Caps get old an leak. I don't WANT TOO throw a pedal in front of my amp!! I like the idea of a NON digitized signal path.

Get over yourself man, My DSL is a wicket amp. Their all Marshalls. Don't diss me cause mine isn't 40 years old and I turn it up past 3.

TheMagicEight

Reaction score
Do you REALLY believe that modern manufacturing technology has gone backwards in terms of reliability?
I'll chime in here. First off, tubes are made nowhere near as well as they used to be. Marshall nowadays cuts corners on their newer designs. There's no debating that, as the price of a DSL is just too low for the transformers and filter caps (and manufacturing process) to be the same quality as vintage Marshalls. Open your Beloved DSL up for proof; take a look at the brands and see 1) where they're made and 2) what price they sell for. You WILL be disappointed.

Why the hell would my PCB bend? I never have to go in there!! Do you play spring board with your hand wired PCB? BTW Wires get old and break, Pots get old and scratch, Caps get old an leak.
Correct, but cheap parts weaken and break before better made ones will. Don't argue that. Your PCB will likely be just fine. I really doubt anyone could even tell the difference between two amps made with identical parts, where one has PTP and one has PCB. However, nobody is going to put lousy parts if they're wiring it PTP, hence PCB can get a bad name.

I don't WANT TOO throw a pedal in front of my amp!! I like the idea of a NON digitized signal path.
There's nothing digital about a TS9, OD808, OCD, etc. I'd bet money that given the same speaker cab and mic setup, I can make an old Marshall with a pedal sound and play far better than a DSL.

Get over yourself man, My DSL is a wicket amp. Their all Marshalls. Don't diss me cause mine isn't 40 years old and I turn it up past 3.
The MG is a Marshall too; does that sound good? The only thing that matters is tone, and the fact is that the biggest similarity between a 1959 SLP and DSL100 is the appearance. Parts, manufacturing, design, and purpose are all different, and if you spent 6 months with something like a 2203 and a pedal, you'd probably have a hard time going back to your DSL.

For the record, I'm young. I say that because I have nothing against the newer Marshalls except the sound. Didn't grow up with older ones and that's why I'm attached, and I listen to music that fits with the DSL far better than a Plexi. They just don't sound as good.

Ken

Reaction score
This is really turning in to a stupid thread. There's nothing about any correctly working modern Marshall that wouldn't allow it to last a lifetime with routine care. I seem to remember an awful lot of 1959 model amps blowing up back in the day from heavy use. Obviously the ones still around today were the ones that were taken care of or didn't have any marginal components. All amps from all eras might have had a dodgy component that failed sooner rather than later. I have no evidence that modern quality control is any worse than back in the 1970's.

And for the record, a pedal with a 2203 might be a great sound but it's NOT a DSL sound.

Ken

6StringMoFo

Reaction score
This is really turning in to a stupid thread. There's nothing about any correctly working modern Marshall that wouldn't allow it to last a lifetime with routine care. I seem to remember an awful lot of 1959 model amps blowing up back in the day from heavy use. Obviously the ones still around today were the ones that were taken care of or didn't have any marginal components. All amps from all eras might have had a dodgy component that failed sooner rather than later. I have no evidence that modern quality control is any worse than back in the 1970's.

And for the record, a pedal with a 2203 might be a great sound but it's NOT a DSL sound.

Ken

Agree +1000

I was looking into a JCM 800 and while I still GAS for one, I would not trade my DSL for one. The DSL has killer tone all to it's own. Is it perfect? No. I've already changed my TXs for MM and I will do a few mods over time. But what amp model as never been modded at some point??

I put my money where my mouth is and I've posted several video on this forum showcasing my DSL and it's killer tone.

I Love my DSL. I love it so much I have 2!! Also, nowhere in this thread have I cut down someone else's amp to make myself feel better about being a DSL user.

If I could afford it I'd have ALL UK built Marshalls models in my arsenal.

janarn

Reaction score
A stupid thread indeed.
How can DSL lovers love vintage Marshalls they never had?

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
First off, tubes are made nowhere near as well as they used to be
which has absolutely nothing to do with Marshall.....you need the same Valves us DSL users need
so that one is out the window

. Marshall nowadays cuts corners on their newer designs. There's no debating that

you think Marshall did not cut corners and compromise in the early days?
if you truly believe that you really know nothing about Marshall's....they made compromises in every production amp they ever made

as the price of a DSL is just too low for the transformers and filter caps

the newer trannies do suck.....but the caps are ten times better built today than they have ever been in the past......and my MM tranny is way better than what you have in your amp

(and manufacturing process) to be the same quality as vintage Marshalls. Open your Beloved DSL up for proof; take a look at the brands and see 1) where they're made and 2) what price they sell for. You WILL be disappointed.
i have been all over my amp modding it to my personal needs.....yes some parts were better then.....some are better today

Bottom line is i can get closer to your amp than you can get to mine.....you need some form of boost to catch up with me....and i dont use my red channel.....me thinks you would be shocked as hell if you heard my DSHell
not just you but all the nay sayers.....bye the way how much do the parts you need to fix your amp cost now?......exactly......Ding fries are done!

TheMagicEight

Reaction score
which has absolutely nothing to do with Marshall.....you need the same Valves us DSL users need
so that one is out the window
Was just an example. I was thinking of acknowledging that it has nothing to do with Marshall but didn't bother. You're right though.
you think Marshall did not cut corners and compromise in the early days?
if you truly believe that you really know nothing about Marshall's....they made compromises in every production amp they ever made

the newer trannies do suck.....but the caps are ten times better built today than they have ever been in the past......and my MM tranny is way better than what you have in your amp
I'm sure you're right about them cutting corners back then too. It is my belief that they're cutting more corners now - for more important parts (transformers) - than they were in the past. Caps? Depends which ones I guess. Filter caps, sure; not positive about signal caps.

No, your MM is no better than what's in my amps. I own an Ecstasy 101b and Uberschall Twin Jet. You might be more experienced than I am and thus a better player, but my rig is awesome for what I want.
Bottom line is i can get closer to your amp than you can get to mine.....you need some form of boost to catch up with me....and i dont use my red channel.....me thinks you would be shocked as hell if you heard my DSHell
not just you but all the nay sayers.....bye the way how much do the parts you need to fix your amp cost now?......exactly......Ding fries are done!
I don't own a vintage Marshall now, but I did have a 2203 for a while. Don't know what replacement parts would cost because I never had to fix it. Your DSL probably sounds better than a stock version, and it's the subtle differences that we're talking about here anyway. The average listener will probably not know the difference between a DSL and 2203 on a recording, but they're still there. I think a 2203 is flat out better for any style (assuming a boost is available) than a stock DSL, and since I own neither, I'd consider myself less biased in this argument. As I've said before though, if it makes you happy as a player and listener, that's far better than many guitarists can say and trumps any argument against your gear IMO.

TheMagicEight

Reaction score
Agree +1000

I was looking into a JCM 800 and while I still GAS for one, I would not trade my DSL for one. The DSL has killer tone all to it's own. Is it perfect? No. I've already changed my TXs for MM and I will do a few mods over time. But what amp model as never been modded at some point??

I put my money where my mouth is and I've posted several video on this forum showcasing my DSL and it's killer tone.

I Love my DSL. I love it so much I have 2!! Also, nowhere in this thread have I cut down someone else's amp to make myself feel better about being a DSL user.

If I could afford it I'd have ALL UK built Marshalls models in my arsenal.
Your DSL sounds awesome. I wonder how much of a difference the MM transformer and mods have to do with it; I know the trannies aren't cheap upgrades. Still, if a stock DSL sounded like yours, I might own one.

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
No, your MM is no better than what's in my amps. I own an Ecstasy 101b and Uberschall Twin Jet. You might be more experienced than I am and thus a better player, but my rig is awesome for what I want.

am i lost...i thought this post was about vintage vs modern Marshalls....not boutiques.....and if you can outplay a fleas dick you are better than me

and yes some older tone shaping caps were way better

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
Your DSL sounds awesome. I wonder how much of a difference the MM transformer and mods have to do with it; I know the trannies aren't cheap upgrades. Still, if a stock DSL sounded like yours, I might own one.

Thats just the MM tranny....he has not done any mods yet.....me i have a few...
plus my head is now missing at least 70 less components than the day it was made...........Generic tone sucks an asses balls

6StringMoFo

Reaction score

My DSL is stock with the exception of the TXs mate, I have yet to cut anything out of it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9uUvs3FY5I]YouTube - Feel Like Making Love - Covered by Remedy[/ame]

Verse's are played on the green channel in crunch , gain set to 4 with the volume dialed down to 1/2 on my LP. Leads are played on the Lead2 (The one everyone hates) with the gain on about 4.

I use Lead 2 on teh red because it seems to use the same EQing that the green crunch channel does. When I need really clean, I just roll of the volume on my LP.

The only effect I used was a Line / Boost for the leads and IMO it sounds good and more so it's flexible.

Volumes we're set to 4 and my amp is the only thing NOT going thru the PA.

TheMagicEight

Reaction score
Thats just the MM tranny....he has not done any mods yet.....me i have a few...
plus my head is now missing at least 70 less components than the day it was made...........Generic tone sucks an asses balls
I'm impressed! The DSL I tried wasn't anything like that.

My DSL is stock with the exception of the TXs mate, I have yet to cut anything out of it.

YouTube - Feel Like Making Love - Covered by Remedy

Verse's are played on the green channel in crunch , gain set to 4 with the volume dialed down to 1/2 on my LP. Leads are played on the Lead2 (The one everyone hates) with the gain on about 4.

I use Lead 2 on teh red because it seems to use the same EQing that the green crunch channel does. When I need really clean, I just roll of the volume on my LP.

The only effect I used was a Line / Boost for the leads and IMO it sounds good and more so it's flexible.

Volumes we're set to 4 and my amp is the only thing NOT going thru the PA.
Don't know how much of my words I'm eating, but that DSL and your playing are very nice indeed! How noticeable was the transformer swap?

6StringMoFo

Reaction score
I'm impressed! The DSL I tried wasn't anything like that.

Don't know how much of my words I'm eating, but that DSL and your playing are very nice indeed! How noticeable was the transformer swap?

Thx. Was the TX upgrade noticable?
Yes.

Did it change the tonal characteristics of the DSL?
No It just enhanced the tones that we're already there.

I haven't upgraded my tubes yet and I'm running the Stock pickups in my Les Pauls

Like I said, my gains we're pretty low.

In the following vids my RED LEad 2 channel gain was set to 6. The camera unfortunatly was on the other side of the front end but you can still hear the DSL goodness cut thru when I get into some of the upper frets.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHYohZ8XsUI]YouTube - solo.avi[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4QdkJp_twM&feature=related[/ame]

Don't mind the bees nest in the background. My singer uses a Crate SS120

Like a lot of the Marshall models, the DSL really comes to life once u crack 3 on the volumes. But even 3 is kinda loud for jamming which is why I picked up a DSL 401 :) 40 Watts, still loud enough for most venues I play. But when I get the chance, it's the 100 that comes with me.

Buggs.Crosby

Reaction score
Did it change the tonal characteristics of the DSL?
No It just enhanced the tones that we're already there.
+1...it seems a lot of people expect to much from the tranny swap....while it does add some low end (a tighter low end) it does not change the amps voicing
but the way it brings out what is already there is worth the money in my opinion

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should add some sustain too. Feel more responsive as opposed to having a tonal contribution.