Low Tech Origin FX Loop Solution...

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's fine. At least there's a physical way to turn the boost off / on that is on the amp itself. It's those features that are 'footswitchable' only that tend to give me grief.

I have a similar issue with Splawn amps that use latching stereo cable footswitches. Some models have great features such as an overdrive boost switch (OD1 / OD2) or a Mode switch (to change tonal voicing) that are not accessible on the amp itself. I would want to default one or both of these features as 'on' for an extended period with having to use or bring along the footswtich. I'll be trying the same trick with that amp too.

As with the fs plugged in, when you use the adapter, the push/pull boost on the gain knob does nothing - boost is on unless you short it off.

ronmail65

Reaction score
FX loop question... I run a Helix in 4CM and have some patches that send a signal from the Helix directly to the loop return - I use this when I want a super clean pallet. What I've noticed with the Origin 20H, as compared to my other amps, is that the volume from the amp is much lower on these patches. And, it's quite difficult to get it much higher.... I tried adding amp models with high volume settings, increased the output levels, and used EQs boost the Helix signal. These measures are very effective at increasing the volume on other amps - but hardly make a difference on the Origin.

Any thoughts?

RCM 800

Reaction score
FX loop question... I run a Helix in 4CM and have some patches that send a signal from the Helix directly to the loop return - I use this when I want a super clean pallet. What I've noticed with the Origin 20H, as compared to my other amps, is that the volume from the amp is much lower on these patches. And, it's quite difficult to get it much higher.... I tried adding amp models with high volume settings, increased the output levels, and used EQs boost the Helix signal. These measures are very effective at increasing the volume on other amps - but hardly make a difference on the Origin.

Any thoughts?
sorry dont have any experience with the helix but I curious so see what you come up with as I was looking at the helix stomp. You might try posting this question in the origin20 thread.

NotSure

Reaction score
Whats wrong with using the footswitch the amp comes with and just leave the effects loop on all the time?
There are already a ton of Origin amps on the used market where the footswitch magically "disappeared", just like they always do. I've found most people take footswitches, battery doors, and always just one rubber foot off a wah and chuck them into a wood chipper immediately. Why else are those things ALWAYS MISSING??? Where do they go?

Calvin Hoyt

Reaction score
Ok, not that I want to do this, but I was curious and decided to test this out.

I have a 2018 Origin20H and this is what it does:
1. turn on with no footswitch plugged in - no loop, no boost.
2. turn on with footswitch plugged in - footswitch remembers previous loop/boost setting
3. turn on with a 1/4 to 1/8 stereo adapter in fs jack and both loop & boost are on.
4. short tip and loop turns off / short middle and boost turns off.

If you want both loop and boost on without a footswitch, buy one of these:
no wiring required, just plug it in.
View attachment 84401

If you want one or the other off, buy a 1/4" solder stereo jack and short as you want.
Or cut the cord off an old headphone set and figure out what wires to connect.

Calvin Hoyt

Reaction score
Is using a 1/4" to 1/8th" adaptor in the footswitch input safe for the amp? I got one and plugged it in my Origin 50 and it does keep both the boost and effects loop on and worked well.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No reason it would not be safe.
It's doing exactly the same thing as the foot switch.
I never turn my loop off, but I toggle the boost on and off all the time, so I still use the footswitch.

gregr

Reaction score
Wasting a tube on an FX loop is pretty silly. It could have been used so the amp could have a cathode follower and provide an additional gain stage.

Please don’t confuse this as hating on the amp. I look at it as untapped potential.

I don’t know the details on the footswitch but if you can keep the FX loop on all the time do it. If the loop is transparent allow it to be active but bypassed when nothing is plugged in. If only the “purists” to whom they’re catering could accept it.

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasting a tube on an FX loop is pretty silly. It could have been used to allow for a cathode follower and provide an additional gain stage.

Please don’t confuse this as hating on the amp. I look at it as untapped potential.
That's part of what the Headfirst mod does.
You lose the loop for the extra gain stage in the mod.

gregr

Reaction score
Absolutely, but it’s easy enough to keep the original vibe of the amp, rather than turning it into a fire breather. Maybe there are other Headfirst mods that do this in which case I’m talking out of turn.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, but it’s easy enough to keep the original vibe of the amp, rather than turning it into a fire breather. Maybe there are other Headfirst mods that do this in which case I’m talking out of turn.
My O20H breaths fire with an OD in the front and an EQ in the loop.

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
I need to figure out how to do fx loop on, boost off as thats how I run 90% of the time.

Wasting a tube on an FX loop is pretty silly. It could have been used so the amp could have a cathode follower and provide an additional gain stage.

A bit of a wasted advertising potential too.
~* tube buffered effects loop*~ sounds fancy but I wouldn't have known if I hadnt read about the headfirst mod.

Out of interest, are both sides of the 12ax7 used for the loop, and what's the role of v2 in a JTM or JMP?

gregr

Reaction score
I’m not intimately familiar with the amp and have only seen a couple different sketches of the circuit. It appears that both triodes of V2 are used to for the loop. I didn’t come right out and say it earlier, but this could have been done using a basic solid state FX loop circuit. Then again, they designed this amp to sell at a certain price point and this would have added cost. The Origins have been successful, so who am I to say?

In a JTM45 or SLP, half of V2 serves as a mixing amplifier for the normal and bright channels, and is normally the first gain stage to be overdriven. That then feeds the other half of V2 which is configured as a cathode follower that drives the passive tone stack.

I don’t know if it was mentioned but I’m sure you can break out the separate boost and fx functions using a 1/4” stereo TRS male to separate left and right 1/4” TS female jacks.

CC5A26E9-AF56-4371-8644-244EB9028E90.jpeg

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's one less piece of equipment that I need to bring along or concern myself with. If the solution is $5 or $10 switched 1/4 plug that I can plug in and forget about - then I would prefer to go that route.
I think, (and I may be wrong), when my friend @pedecamp said to use the footswitch to put the loop on and leave it on,… he meant you just leave it on always.

No need to transport the footswitch with you, there’s no need for it, the loop is ON!

Do you need to turn the loop off for some reason?

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
the Headfirst mod does multiple things. One, in particular is adding tons of gain up front. You can skip that part of the mod & still change the tube order/tonestack around...

The gain part. you should also be able to do not as extreme, or you could knock the gain down by using a lower gain tube...

ledvedder

Reaction score
the Headfirst mod does multiple things. One, in particular is adding tons of gain up front. You can skip that part of the mod & still change the tube order/tonestack around...

The gain part. you should also be able to do not as extreme, or you could knock the gain down by using a lower gain tube...
I'm interested in the Headfirst mod with a bit less gain. I'd love some insight on what to change about the mod to accomplish this.