Making my tone bigger?

• Thread starter Goosey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goosey

Reaction score
Cheers Lonewolfsx i'll do some research on that one, sounds like a hell of a pedal. I'm not a so called "purist" so I don't mind if its analog, tape or digital as long as it sounds good. A nice delay pedal I have tried was the BBE 2 timer and they are fairly cheap so I might have another look at that. I'd love a MXR Carbon Copy but there a bit pricey.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheers Lonewolfsx i'll do some research on that one, sounds like a hell of a pedal. I'm not a so called "purist" so I don't mind if its analog, tape or digital as long as it sounds good. A nice delay pedal I have tried was the BBE 2 timer and they are fairly cheap so I might have another look at that. I'd love a MXR Carbon Copy but there a bit pricey.

Mate do u get on Ebay, i always try to buy my pedals 2nd hand.. Can save alot of cash that way !

Here is 1
EHX Echo 1 Digital Delay | eBay

Or this 1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boss-DD-...AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item415f2302d5

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score

lonewolfsx

Reaction score
Yeah the MXR Carbon Copy was my first choice, but after some demoing, I went with the Nova Repeater instead. Here in the states they run about the same price new, but with the discount I got on the TC Electronics pedal I could basically turn around and sell it and probably make a small profit. That should be a huge sign actually, the fact that I could sell it and buy the MXR and make a few bucks and I'm still using the TC instead.

It actually inspired me to buy the Nova Dynamics too, which I run in front of my TSL 100% of the time now. I actually plug both of my guitars in at the same time and just have one's volume turned off, good for really quick switches... when I'm lazy in my own apartment. Ha.

OOH RIGHT! Sorry I forgot the whole reason here, thickening tone. The Nova Dynamics pedal, on the "Studio Compressor" setting is a huge part of my sound now. I don't have it compressing very much, but the level is maxed and it gives me a tiny tiny clean boost, but most importantly, it kinda flattens everything out frequency wise. It thickens things up pretty well, at least at volumes I'm playing at (around 1 plus or minus a little). I've noticed because last year the guy living underneath me never said a word to me, then this semester, with this pedal and the deep switch in, he complains and I can barely hear myself playing over my own TV (and he doesn't hear the TV, only the guitar). If that's not cutting through the mix (amp on casters, on foam, then carpet, then concrete and insulation, TV turned up, and all he can hear is the guitar. Even when playing high-note solos), I don't know what is.

Let me put together a recording of the TSL with and without it for you. I'll just have to wait for a time when my neighbor below isn't around.

It also does other stuff, like noise gate and "stomp box" compression, which I use on the crunch channel when I cover a few Journey songs (like "I'll Be Alright Without You").

Wow I should be a TC Electronics sales person or something.

Goosey

Reaction score
A recording would be great! Sounds like your tone is really cutting through, i'm keen to hear it. You should represent TC mate, you're doing a hell of a job :fingersx:

Khaos

Reaction score
Just one question. Would a little reverb also help to make the tone bigger?

aikiguy

Reaction score
For a song like that maybe you could get into a loop station and loop the main riff. There's not a Scorpions tune anywhere that you can do justice with one guitar. I mean, you guys sound great but you need the rythem guitar there. I actually play in a Scorpions tribute. They use both guitars to complement each other. Not in that tume so much... but the other guitar definitely helps to hold down the bottom end. Good job though!!!

Goosey

Reaction score
Khaos: I'm already soaking my tone in a decent amount of reverb, cheers for the advice tho!
aikiguy: I do agree, it was not really the best song choice.

madmmx

Reaction score
+1 on the Nova Repeater. I traded a Carbon copy for a Nova and I think it blows away the carbon copy in the loop. The Carbon Copy sounded too distorted in my loop. It was actually better in the front of the amp than the loop. The carbon copy seems to roll off alot of treble too. The nova has an input for guitar straight in or for the loop. For the price, you cant beat the Nova Repeater with all of the features it has.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I think you're getting worried about nothing.
You have great tone and play good too. Probably better than most on this forum. And I'm not putting in "for your age".
I think you cut through just fine.
But if you want:
Maybe a second cab will make you stand out more during solo's.
And maybe Vintage 30's will beef up your tone. (in the second cab?)
A friend of mine mixes Greenbacks and V30's in a 4x12. They sound great and fuller together.
I never liked Greenbacks that much.

JohnH

Reaction score
You guys sound good. But just for more suggestions, how about micing your cab if you dont already? - to get some into the PA. Not really to get louder but to get more spread Add a bit of verb or delay into the pA signal as well (we put a guitar delay pedal in our PA aux send/return loop), keeping your main amp tone pure.

Khaos

Reaction score
Khaos: I'm already soaking my tone in a decent amount of reverb, cheers for the advice tho!
aikiguy: I do agree, it was not really the best song choice.
Goosey, actually I was kinda asking for people's opinion. You see I'm also trying to find a solution that fits my style.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Gotta spend some money. Tone and Sound are not cheapas you know.

Add a second amp and play in stereo. Seriously. Even a second amp mono adds so much it is unbelievable. The guys I play with asked me to not use a second amp at times lol. WTF right?

If you play stereo turn off all reverb and set one amp with 650MS delay and the other with about 400MS the add stereo chorus. The wow factor applies at this point. Then if your PA is in stereo this really sums it up.

Just my $.02

New Religion

+100000000000 on two delay pedals.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I didnt see you step on any boost when you went into solo? Maybe a slight clean boost and delay might help make your solo jump out more?