Marshall 1960 speaker buzzins and farting

• Thread starter bobbyvasco
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
got it back from thomann because it was farting and buzzing, so this is explanation from them

ok update...I got my 1960 box back from thomann.....I thought they replaced speakers....but this is their feedback in fact lose front baffle screws and speaker screws thigthened, broken handles replaced, Test ok / 761

it seems sound is good, did not test it loud yet

but this is confusing
lose front baffle screws? Where is that? HOw you reach those?
also speaker screws tightened.....I was afraid to tighten them too much because some people claimed here that could damage the cone etc...

Today I plugged in plexi and played a bit and it started to fart again, lost all its sound....just horrible.....
I really want to fix this cab once for all....if I send it to thomann again, I have to wait like 2 weeks to get it back

anitoli

Reaction score
This is a 1960 cab that has the stereo switch on the back, correct? And the sound is cutting in and out and you are certain it's not an amp issue then most likely it that little circuit board in the jack plate. Best thing to do with those is take it out and rewire the cab for on input jack at 16 ohms. Just had one of my cabs do that. When trying to measure ohms on the 16 ohm setting the meter was bouncing all over the place and that cab was sounding farty on the low b/c notes.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
lose front baffle screws? Where is that? How you reach those?
1703092753955.png
Today I plugged in plexi and played a bit and it started to fart again, lost all its sound....just horrible.....
I really want to fix this cab once for all....if I send it to thomann again, I have to wait like 2 weeks to get it back
Hard to tell from all your posts and threads if it's actually a bad speaker, and Thomann just doesn't want to replace it, or if there's some other issue causing the farting.
You're the best person to isolate the issue, since you're the one with the cab.
If you think you have one bad speaker, buy a new one and find out.
If it solves the problem, tell Thomann they owe you for a speaker.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely meter it. You can measure ohms on each speaker as well as at the jack/end of speaker cable. I blew and output tranny when 1 out of 4 speakers had died and I was playing at volume. Didn't react quickly enuff with volume drop. Kept playing. Measured the impedance while trouble shooting and it was 32 ohms. Found the dead speaker with the multimeter. I test every new speaker I buy/use and the speaker Jack/cable after loading cab.

Last edited:

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
i am thinking of buying a new 90 box and try my amps on it... and then return it in 1 month....my cab has been at thomann now twice and now they want me to send it back again..... this really sucks..... can you tell me more about measureing ohm resistance for each speaker?
I have to turn on the amp and connect it to speaker and measure in ohms mode where exactly?

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
i am really really disapointed with marshall for making such crap speakers..... i sold my jcm 900 cab that was vintage just because it was buzzin then bought new one with thomann and it was wokring fine for a while...1 year or 2 ....

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
This is a 1960 cab that has the stereo switch on the back, correct? And the sound is cutting in and out and you are certain it's not an amp issue then most likely it that little circuit board in the jack plate. Best thing to do with those is take it out and rewire the cab for on input jack at 16 ohms. Just had one of my cabs do that. When trying to measure ohms on the 16 ohm setting the meter was bouncing all over the place and that cab was sounding farty on the low b/c notes.
yes standard 1960 can I have it in mono on 16 ohms all the time.... you can hear how it buzzes and farts especially when you lower the volume on guitar then it really gets horrid, can you tell me more how to exactly measure the ohms for each speakr so I can rule that out

Kutt

Reaction score
Let's pump the breaks for a minute here.

While you're playing, kneel down and place your ear in directly front of each speaker. Is the buzzing sound coming directly from 1 or 2 particular speakers? Or does it sound like it's coming from the entire cabinet?

You may have a bad speaker with coil rub. I've had two of them and it's a horrible noise.

It's fine that you're not technical but using some logic and basic troubleshooting will help you solve this more quickly. Speaker cabinets are not complicated devices. It's a wooden box with screws and glue holding it together. Once you think of it in those simple terms troubleshooting becomes a bit more easy.

I'd vote to first rule out the individual speakers, which is why I suggest kneeling down and listening to each one.

Kutt

Reaction score
Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
I have to turn on the amp and connect it to speaker and measure in ohms mode where exactly?

No. NO! Disconnect the amp and cab. Connect the speaker lead to the cab (and not the amp). Measure the resistance between the tip and the sleeve of the jack that you would generally put in the amp. It's OK to touch the contacts while doing so, but try to avoid it, certainly if you have fatty/wet/moist hands. If you measure the resistance with the amp connected and powered on you risk blowing the meter (it should be fused... one might hope) and the amp.

i am really really disapointed with marshall for making such crap speakers.....

Marshall have never made speakers. They make the wooden construction around them as Kutt said. Also, I think the pattern here relates less to Marshall's shortcomings...

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
Let's pump the breaks for a minute here.

While you're playing, kneel down and place your ear in directly front of each speaker. Is the buzzing sound coming directly from 1 or 2 particular speakers? Or does it sound like it's coming from the entire cabinet?

You may have a bad speaker with coil rub. I've had two of them and it's a horrible noise.

It's fine that you're not technical but using some logic and basic troubleshooting will help you solve this more quickly. Speaker cabinets are not complicated devices. It's a wooden box with screws and glue holding it together. Once you think of it in those simple terms troubleshooting becomes a bit more easy.

I'd vote to first rule out the individual speakers, which is why I suggest kneeling down and listening to each one.
i tried everything even usd looper....i cant tell where it is coming from, cabinet housing or speake, by coil rub you think that the speaker is tightened too much to the frame?

PelliX

Reaction score
i tried everything even usd looper....i cant tell where it is coming from, cabinet housing or speake, by coil rub you think that the speaker is tightened too much to the frame?

If I recall correctly, you don't get on well with your neighbors. Take the cab outside. See if it rattles in the open.

Kutt

Reaction score
by coil rub you think that the speaker is tightened too much to the frame?
No

DId you kneel down directly in front of the speaker and listen closely? You need to try and determine if the problem is wiring or with physical cab construction. If the noise is coming out of a speaker then it's wiring. If it sounds more "spatial" then it's construction. There are a finite number of things that could be wrong and they are not many.

Wiring: Faulty speakers, faulty wires, or faulty jack plate.

Construction: Baffle, backboard, center joist stabilizer.

Make sure the joist stabilizer is making solid contact with the back panel. If it's not it could easily rattle the shit out of the whole thing. Add padding on the end if you have to:

1703242861809.png

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
No

DId you kneel down directly in front of the speaker and listen closely? You need to try and determine if the problem is wiring or with physical cab construction. If the noise is coming out of a speaker then it's wiring. If it sounds more "spatial" then it's construction. There are a finite number of things that could be wrong and they are not many.

Wiring: Faulty speakers, faulty wires, or faulty jack plate.

Construction: Baffle, backboard, center joist stabilizer.

Make sure the joist stabilizer is making solid contact with the back panel. If it's not it could easily rattle the shit out of the whole thing. Add padding on the end if you have to:

View attachment 142266
long stick stabilizer is screwd to the back of the housing.... i put my ear to the speaker few times...it comes from box definately...not like furniture vibrations... i even switched from mono to stereo and not a lot of change....thomann had my box with them 2 times for repair, first time they said nothing is wrong, second time they tightened the screws..... seems they are very incompetent....just plug a plexi on my speaker and you will see all the unecessary vibrations for god sake....
why would the wiring cause problem?

JamesD

Reaction score
Another wild goose chase?

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
Another wild goose chase?

that was reverb vibration and i fixed that....

bobbyvasco

Reaction score
damn, i took my speaker, amp to some guy here who repairs marshalls....and we plugged it in and there was no freaking buzzing at all....it was not very very loud because his mother was downstairs lol but there was no buzzing.... today I plugged it again at my house and is farting and buzzing like crazy....i moved the stack around the room so it is not furniture.....it is actual buzz coming from somewhere inside.....it sounds like paper moving... very annoying...... i am really going bonkers here.... SHOULD I TAKE THE SPEAKER TOTALLY APART??? took all speakers out? wtf should I do? and BTW PENNIXS please ignore this post, I really do not want to hear your input, I removed the rear plate before and touched inside where thee wood is and speakers and could not locate the buzz at all.....
is it possible that while I took the speaker to that guy during the transport the buzz problem went away because of transporting the speaker with my car etc??

Status
Not open for further replies.