Marshall amp mods for van halen 1 sound

• Thread starter pittbull
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Codyjohns

VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want the VH 1 sound just buy a Superlead ('60 or '70) and dime the tone stack and crank it up. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9q7Vfyv_5M]‪Marshall 1978 Superlead Dimed.‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

bluesymetal

Reaction score
Hey I haven't read this whole thread yet, but a splawn quickrod in gear 1 od2 with some reverb and phase 90, will get you pretty close to the vh1 tone. I don't know if Scott does mods still, but he is a great guy and his work is some of the best. Don't get to hung up on the tone though, go to rig talk to see the guys chasing it lol it gets crazy. Pete thorn gets close, like really close on some of his demos though.

PaoloJM

Reaction score
I'm pretty confident that if you posted a set of unmarked clips, with players of various abilities, and various rigs all playing VH riffs and asked the forum to identify the best VH tone they would pick the better players.

jupiter89

Reaction score
This dude covering On Fire with his Friedman modded 1959SLP is worth a listen.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iECM9ZAxdY0&NR=1]‪Van Halen On Fire Overdub Cover (Friedman Modded Marshall Plexi Reissue)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Murmel

Reaction score
anything you could ever want to know. These guys have come incredibly close.
Rockstah, has just about nailed it. Good info.

MetroAmp.com Forum • View forum - Eddie Van Halen

The Rockstah guy tried to conivince us in another thread that he could nail the AfD tone with his amps, but I think he is far from that. My AfD does it way better than his amp.
But this is not a bad thing because I also checked his other demos and I agree with monsterwalley that his evh tone is the best that I have ever heard, besides Eddie back in the 80s and late 70s of course.

I think you just don't get Eddie and Slash in one box.

JTyson

Reaction score
From the clips I've heard, Rockstah Mods has that tone absolutely nailed down. (as was said)
Check his vids on youtube, they are spot on.

JTyson

Reaction score
How would you be "doing your own thing" with someone else's tone? About the only "thing" that would ever come of that would be just writing songs that you wrote that sound like Eddie Van Halen played them. ;)
Meh, people have done that since the beginning. I think its entirely feasable to take someone else's sound and make it your own with your own playing style.
This being the Marshall Forum, I would dare say most people here have done that. Most Marshall mods are variations of something already done by someone else. Whats wrong with that? You find what works for you, and use it your own way.
Marks heavy clip dosent sound like eddie at all to me :dude:
But I'm just a lowly pee-on :)

peterplexi

Reaction score
...and then when you figure out all that stuff....don't forget to factor in the Universal Audio tube pre with Lots of compression and the EMT plate reverb...lol.

peterplexi

Reaction score
...and then when you figure out all that stuff....don't forget to factor in the Universal Audio tube pre with Lots of compression and the EMT plate reverb...lol.