Marshall CODE Amps - Tweaker's Delight: Tips 'n Tricks

• Thread starter MasterMurph100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    code
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MasterMurph100

Reaction score
1. When setting up different Amp patches, start out without the Compressor stomp box on (especially when already Overdriving the Amp Model i.e. whenever you're not running just "Clean"). With the CODE Series, you may be pleasantly surprised you don't need it on, as the Amp Models seem to have some nice "Natural Tube Compression" already built in. Any more might make it sound too "Squashy".

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
1. When setting up different Amp patches, start out without the Compressor stomp box on (especially when already Overdriving the Amp Model i.e. whenever you're not running just "Clean"). With the CODE Series, you may be pleasantly surprised you don't need it on, as the Amp Models seem to have some nice "Natural Tube Compression" already built in. Any more might make it sound too "Squashy".
I messed around with some Codes briefly I think they are pretty good for what they are, you definitely gotta be a tweaker to own one the options are endless! Welcome to the forum, stick around and share your experiences with your Code lots of people will be interested in hearing it. Cheers!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
:welcome: To the forum as
pedecamp said before me there are a number of members here with the code amp!
Cheers Mitch

MasterMurph100

Reaction score
2. (should have been #1) As soon as you've unboxed your new Code amp, unless you practice in a rented Hall or somewhere you can play LOUD by all means sit with your favorite Beverage & break into every one of the Factory Presets, turn the VOLUME way down & SAVE/WRITE the Change. It may take you a while (maybe several Cans or more), but now you will have a more audibly palatable (way lower Volume) Palate with which to Work/Tweak with, spinning the Preset Dial at your leisure without blowing your Head off. Hope This Helps.
Hey Thanks Guys for the Warm Welcome. Thought this would be a Cool & Fun Thread for us CODERS to put our 2 Cents in. Also, Thanks for your Input as well. -MM100

MasterMurph100

Reaction score
Thanks plexipaul for the Welcome. And if you're a "Patient Tweaker" you will be Rewarded with Bountiful Treasures, Matey. I just got a Code 50 to supplement my 100H. I really can't believe these Amps - they are so Flexible & Versatile - I can hardly get away' from them. They sound so GOOD (coming from someone w/50+ yrs of Experience). I named this Thread as such for Tongue & Cheek value, but there might just be something to it, as owning & playing with one of these amazing little Amps may just be the perfect "Aversion Therapy" to those Afflicted with a Drug/Substance, etc. Problem. I'm excited for you on your purchase of the Code 100H - Guaranteed you'll really Love it .

Last edited:

plexipaul

Reaction score
Thanks plexipaul for the Welcome. And if you're a "Patient Tweaker" you will be Rewarded with Bountiful Treasures, Matey. I just got a Code 50 to supplement my 100H. I really can't believe these Amps - they are so Flexible & Versatile - I can hardly get away' from them. They sound so GOOD (coming from someone w/50+ yrs of Experience). I named this Thread as such for Tongue & Cheek value, but there might just be something to it, as owning & playing with one of these amazing little Amps may just be the perfect "Aversion Therapy" to those Afflicted with a Drug/Substance, etc. Problem. I'm excited for you on your purchase of the Code 100H - Guaranteed you'll really Love it .

No worries MasterMurph, Patient Tweaker is my middlename (for a modest 40 yrs now ;) )

plexipaul

Reaction score
HNAD! :)

full

MasterMurph100

Reaction score
2. (should have been #1) As soon as you've unboxed your new Code amp, unless you practice in a rented Hall or somewhere you can play LOUD by all means sit with your favorite Beverage & break into every one of the Factory Presets, turn the VOLUME way down & SAVE/WRITE the Change. It may take you a while (maybe several Cans or more), but now you will have a more audibly palatable (way lower Volume) Palate with which to Work/Tweak with, spinning the Preset Dial at your leisure without blowing your Head off. Hope This Helps.
Hey Thanks Guys for the Warm Welcome. Thought this would be a Cool & Fun Thread for us CODERS to put our 2 Cents in. Also, Thanks for your Input as well. -MM100

3. "You Will Learn To Love Me" ... Borrowing a favorite line the Gold Miner is saying to his defiant new Wife (Mail Order Bride). Maybe stretching it a bit here, but just thought I'd pass it on for Entertainment Value while I I use it to stress a Point.
Not necessarily a bonified "Tweaker's Tip, but nevertheless an important Pep Talk to incourage us "CODE Tweakers" (hey - an Idea for a new Marshall T-Shirt: "CODE Tweakers Unite !") to see the Light @ the End of the Tunnel & "Keep on Tweakin'" (leave the Truckers & Druggies out of it, IYKWIM).
The Point is: Sadly, I have seen so many of these Amps up for Sale used online & wonder why. I saw this while my CODE 100H was on its way (didn't know I was going to order the CODE 50 yet).
When the 100 H arrived & was plugged onto my 1960 Cab, all it took to hook me was the first Amp Model I randomly dialed- the Bluesbreaker #41 (kept confusing & confounding the Brit "1" for a "7", but I needed to remain to be "Very Diplomatic" like Mick Jagger) The sound on my Strat w/Neck Pickup was stunning, not to mention how delighted I was to find 2 more Bluesbreaker patches which to Tweak to my Heart's Desire.
However, dialing along, I was horrified to hear the most GHASTLY (think Simon Cowle) patches ever devised on GGE - & all Super Loud ! Well, as stated in a previous Comment - all it took was to Lower the Volumes on these "Defiant Goof-Ball Wife Patches" & then methodically Tweak things around here & there, & Voila - I now have some decent patches "tamed down" so they won't fight me anymore. Eventually, I will have all 100 "Mail Order Brides" all Tamed Down & my CODE Amps will Love Me Back, as I in turn am growing to Love these Amps as well.
Perhaps those Ex CODE Owners who have their Amps up for Sale just don't have the Patience needed to turn these Amps from "Bitchie Brunhildas" into "Blossoming Beauties" who will Love them back for Tweaking their "High Maintainence" Personalities, resulting in a Warm Bond between the Two.
However, these little "Brides" waiting for a new Home are open to find a new Owner whom which together they can share a "Gold Mine" of beautiful Amp Sounds.
And even the occasional "Fizz/Hiss" you hear on some Patches/Models (not all) can be overlooked, just as the Ideosycrancies of Lifelong Partners do for each other.
I hope this little far-stretching Analogy helps a bit. Until next time "Tweak On !"

wmachine

Reaction score
3. "You Will Learn To Love Me" ... Borrowing a favorite line the Gold Miner is saying to his defiant new Wife (Mail Order Bride). Maybe stretching it a bit here, but just thought I'd pass it on for Entertainment Value while I I use it to stress a Point.
Not necessarily a bonified "Tweaker's Tip, but nevertheless an important Pep Talk to incourage us "CODE Tweakers" (hey - an Idea for a new Marshall T-Shirt: "CODE Tweakers Unite !") to see the Light @ the End of the Tunnel & "Keep on Tweakin'" (leave the Truckers & Druggies out of it, IYKWIM).
The Point is: Sadly, I have seen so many of these Amps up for Sale used online & wonder why. I saw this while my CODE 100H was on its way (didn't know I was going to order the CODE 50 yet).
When the 100 H arrived & was plugged onto my 1960 Cab, all it took to hook me was the first Amp Model I randomly dialed- the Bluesbreaker #41 (kept confusing & confounding the Brit "1" for a "7", but I needed to remain to be "Very Diplomatic" like Mick Jagger) The sound on my Strat w/Neck Pickup was stunning, not to mention how delighted I was to find 2 more Bluesbreaker patches which to Tweak to my Heart's Desire.
However, dialing along, I was horrified to hear the most GHASTLY (think Simon Cowle) patches ever devised on GGE - & all Super Loud ! Well, as stated in a previous Comment - all it took was to Lower the Volumes on these "Defiant Goof-Ball Wife Patches" & then methodically Tweak things around here & there, & Voila - I now have some decent patches "tamed down" so they won't fight me anymore. Eventually, I will have all 100 "Mail Order Brides" all Tamed Down & my CODE Amps will Love Me Back, as I in turn am growing to Love these Amps as well.
Perhaps those Ex CODE Owners who have their Amps up for Sale just don't have the Patience needed to turn these Amps from "Bitchie Brunhildas" into "Blossoming Beauties" who will Love them back for Tweaking their "High Maintainence" Personalities, resulting in a Warm Bond between the Two.
However, these little "Brides" waiting for a new Home are open to find a new Owner whom which together they can share a "Gold Mine" of beautiful Amp Sounds.
And even the occasional "Fizz/Hiss" you hear on some Patches/Models (not all) can be overlooked, just as the Ideosycrancies of Lifelong Partners do for each other.
I hope this little far-stretching Analogy helps a bit. Until next time "Tweak On !"

I think you make a good point re the patience (and time) it takes to dial in settings. The great thing is that you can keep saving the "improvements" for later, better improvements.
Even the big daddy tube amps need to be dialed in, so if one ever gets perfect plug and play from any amp, it is more luck than sense.
It is one thing for it not to be possible to get what you want, and quite another to not being able to get what you want. The latter meaning if you take the time to work with it, you will get it.
And yes, that lack of patience (or decision not to spend the time) will put a number of them back out for sale. Only problem is amps then get bad press from those w/o the patience. "Damn toaster doesn't work. Left the bread in there a full five seconds, and..... nothing!"

plexipaul

Reaction score
So, after one week of tweaking (from scratch) I`ve got to say that the results have exceeded my expectations.
Initially I was a bit sceptical (at higher volumes) but man...Marshall and Softtube have done a really good job IMO and by that I don`t mean the stock presets (parameters are all over the place).
Here`s what I have sofar using Marshall Amplification YouTube channel for reference:

01 JTM45 2245
02 JTM45/100 (great with Strat and FuzzFace. Move over rover... )
03 Bluesbreaker
04 1959SLP
05 JMP 1987
06 JMP 2204 :)
07 JCM800 2203
08 2550 Silver Jubilee
09 DSL 100H
10 JVM 410H

I really like them all but 02 and 06 are my favorites :)

Tip:
4. Don`t use the Gate function If you want long sustaining notes without the crackle at the end of those notes. For high gain keep the Gain low-ish and boost with the pedal of your preference (noise related).

Some folks may want to revisite ;)

Antmax

Reaction score
Tip:
4. Don`t use the Gate function If you want long sustaining notes without the crackle at the end of those notes. For high gain keep the Gain low-ish and boost with the pedal of your preference (noise related).

Couldn't agree more. I think they modeled all the amps already cranked so the noise floor is quite high and it's really easy to raise the noise floor into a wall of white noise. The gate just adds digital fizz if there is any dirt. This is where I think a lot of people give up on the code. For me it works better as a light pedal platform based on clean - crunchy tone. For anything higher you need some gain stacking with pedals.

I got my 50 on launch day and still have it. I have a bit of a mixed relationship and mostly use my DSL20hr. The 50's poor volume knob taper for quiet playing combined with speaker and boomy resonance built into the cabinet let it down a bit. I keep meaning to try some of that rubber carpet underlay on a side or two to see if I can dampen the resonance a little. It's good but if they had raised the price $50 at launch to increase the quality of the speaker and cabinet slightly. I think it would have gotten a better reception.

Danny Lee

Reaction score
I messed around with some Codes briefly I think they are pretty good for what they are, you definitely gotta be a tweaker to own one the options are endless! Welcome to the forum, stick around and share your experiences with your Code lots of people will be interested in hearing it. Cheers!
I plan on sticking around either way. And I will in fact share my experience with this amp. Thanks bro

Zach Armstrong

Reaction score
My top tip to any Code owners out there is to deactivate the cab sim on the amp for regular playing. The cab sim is fine (even good) for clean playing, but crank up the distortion, and it starts to sound muffled, bassy, and kinda weird. With it off, however, it practically sounds like whatever amp you have it set to. I can vouch for this amp's tone: I put my presets up against a real Mesa Rectifier, Peavey 6505+, JVM, Vox AC30, JTM, and several of my favorite bands (namely Metallica, The Offspring, and Queensryche), and the sound was practically identical. If this amp has that "digital sound/feel", I can't detect it. I uploaded the recording below to YouTube, featuring me playing the guitar in Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls" through my Code 50. It isn't perfect by any means (I used a Stratocaster in contrast to Hetfield's humbucker-loaded Explorers or Flying-V's), but it gives you a general idea of this amp's capabilities. Had I spent more time editing, I'm sure I could get it almost identical to Metallica's original recording. I'd be happy to share any of my presets with those interested. Hope this was helpful (this is my first time on a forum of any kind)!

Stay cool and Ride the Lightning! :metal:

-Zach Armstrong