Mod 7 : Unleash the brown sound + Marshall plexi sounding way better and cheaper than the sv-20

• Thread starter pat_rocks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PelliX

Reaction score
i never imagined this would cause this amount of issues while recording wtf...

It takes a fair deal of practice and familiarity with a given setup/room/rig to be able to 'guesstimate' what a guitar tone will sound like recorded. Things sounding 'higher gain' in the recording is not uncommon as the effect of the room affects how we perceive the sound.

Our of interest and for comparison, could you spell out the signal chain you used for the 2nd clip in your post?

pat_rocks

Reaction score
It takes a fair deal of practice and familiarity with a given setup/room/rig to be able to 'guesstimate' what a guitar tone will sound like recorded. Things sounding 'higher gain' in the recording is not uncommon as the effect of the room affects how we perceive the sound.

Our of interest and for comparison, could you spell out the signal chain you used for the 2nd clip in your post?
well i think i finally solved my main issue now i need to fine tune what can be heard threw the record and make some mods.

however before modding it further i want to hear it with a real echoplex to hear how its preamp affect tone. I'm clearly curious about it.

pat_rocks

Reaction score
i'm finally getting something nice out of it...

here you can hear at half when i do engage the transistors it is slightly different :

here is with mxr eq without variac

and with variac :

each riff round i try different settings.

i think it sounds better without any pedal

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
Those are all sounding a heck of a lot better than your previous attempts (bar that last one I already commented on). Where you engage the transistors is where the tone falls apart to me. It doesn't sound like VH and it just becomes a strain on the ears, honestly. Keep messing about see what you come up with. Maybe cut some of the treble but ramp up the presence a bit? Just throwing ideas at ya.

You also have a typical peak around 120-130-ish Hz (by ear) that isn't too bad on its' own. Try a relatively narrow cut around 125Hz in your program of choice (post-rec). In a band setting (which includes playing to a backing track with bass, drums, etc) it will sound a lot better together that way.

pat_rocks

Reaction score
Those are all sounding a heck of a lot better than your previous attempts (bar that last one I already commented on). Where you engage the transistors is where the tone falls apart to me. It doesn't sound like VH and it just becomes a strain on the ears, honestly. Keep messing about see what you come up with. Maybe cut some of the treble but ramp up the presence a bit? Just throwing ideas at ya.

You also have a typical peak around 120-130-ish Hz (by ear) that isn't too bad on its' own. Try a relatively narrow cut around 125Hz in your program of choice (post-rec). In a band setting (which includes playing to a backing track with bass, drums, etc) it will sound a lot better together that way.
Thx a lot man even if we got in comedic fights you helped me quite a lite thanks man.

when you engage the transistors the volume and gain drops. I should have adjusted the volume in consequence i think ? who knows.

i'll record with the transistors another time with higher master volume settings.

i will try to see what i can do to improve it.

PelliX

Reaction score
Thx a lot man even if we got in comedic fights you helped me quite a lite thanks man.

Hey, you're welcome! There are a few folks throughout your threads that have been giving you solid advice, like @ElvisNixon - we don't do this to boast or condescend, but rather to share and enable. I'll admit that I've had a few laughs at your expense along the way, but were never any hard feelings. I'm glad you've been able to put some of these suggestions and advice to practice, honest. I may be an abrasive and unpleasant bugger at times, but I've never turned down a technical question as you've noticed. I think that applies to a lot here (well, the latter part in any case).

when you engage the transistors the volume and gain drops. I should have adjusted the volume in consequence i think ? who knows.

No, that's not it. The level drops a little, but it's more the saturation of the transistors and overall compression that kill it, I'd say. Ever used a drive pedal and turned it up too far, then backed down again? That's roughly what I'm hearing and my instinctive reponse; it's too much - need to back off. :shrug: