Marshall Code firmware rollback

cokekolev

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a Marshall Code 25. Two days ago I decided to update the firmware. Originally it had version 1.45 on it (according to the screen on the amp, I checked by pressing the PREFX, REV and MOD buttons), but after the update it now has version 1.44. However, I can't find version 1.45 on the Marshall website.
As version 1.45 can't be found on the internet, I think there are two possibilities:

1. Version 1.45 is installed on the newest amps, but is not (yet) available for download on the internet
2. The firmware version that was previously installed on my amp was't actually 1.45, but an earlier version, but because of a bug 1.45 was shown on the screen. I remember heaving read the same thing on the forum about an earlier version (after someone installed v1.41 the screen read v1.11).

However, I would like to re-install the firmware version my amp had when I bought it. Since the upgrade (or downgrade?) the amp doesn't sound as good as before. Before the update the amp sounded 'ballsy' with more low end and the response reminded me of a tube amp. Right now it just sounds like a cheap digital solid state amp, really bad. It's just not the same amp anymore. And it doesn't have anything to do with the pre-installed presets, as I build my presets from scratch. Please tell me how to restore the firmware version on my amp.

cokekolev

Reaction score
Yes I have, I sent an e-mail two days ago, but still no news. I wanted to ask the question on the forum too, maybe there are people who know the answer. :)

panoma

Reaction score
I would hope it is option 1 but firmware seems to be stable at 1.44 since July 19 and never heard of a 1.45 coming....but maybe that's brand new and not yet released to public for upgrade existing CODE boxes...... would it be very interesting to understand if *your* HW revision is the same of previous CODE 25 boards....
I have a CODE 100H bought in January 2020 and was already 1.44 from factory.
Try anyway to post the question to
https://my.marshall.com/forum/questions

and let us know....

cokekolev

Reaction score
I asked the question on my.marshall.com a few days ago, but the answers I received from Marshall support were:

The latest version is 1.44, there is no 1.45, you have the latest if its 1.44.
1.44 is the latest firmware, we have not released any after this one, there is no way to restore any older firmware versions.

The person who answerd also didn't know why the screen on my amp showed version 1.45 before the update (or downgrade?).

panoma

Reaction score
given your situation now, you'd better try the *hard* factory reset:

• Power OFF the amplifier using the ON/OFF switch.
• Whilst holding down the AMP Section Switch, turn the power ON.

• The screen will display a notification that the amplifier is about to be returned to its factory settings.

• If you are sure that you want to perform a factory reset, press and hold the EXIT/STORE switch to confirm

hope this helps!
let us know

cokekolev

Reaction score
I tried this multiple times. This only restores the presets to their original settings, but has no effect on the firmware version.

bigbadorange

Reaction score
Its kind of good news that they are actually updating the firmware. I still think the code has great potential, just a bad form factor. IMHO, it should be a pedal like Kemper floor, fractal FM3, or atomic amp AA3. I own or have owned most modelers and all I ever used was the marshall or modded marshall tones. Why NOT get my modeling needs taken care of by marshall.

panoma

Reaction score
I tried this multiple times. This only restores the presets to their original settings, but has no effect on the firmware version.
did you buy the CODE at a store reseller or online? If you went to a store I would go back and check the firmware version of amps they still have in-house......if they are in the same production lot of the one you got you maybe you could see the same 'undocumented' firmware version....

cokekolev

Reaction score
Another user on the official Marshall forum confirmed the same as me: his new code has software version 1.45. I received a mail from Marshall saying they were looking into it. No need to go to the store, as I'm sure my amp had version 1.45.

panoma

Reaction score
Another user on the official Marshall forum confirmed the same as me: his new code has software version 1.45. I received a mail from Marshall saying they were looking into it. No need to go to the store, as I'm sure my amp had version 1.45.
very interesting........I am expecting news from Marshall soon..... :)

Reaction score
I also find it very strange that this new 1.45 firmware directly influences the sound quality, maybe what they modified was the factory presets and that is the difference in sound that your ears pick up, but usually those updates what they do is solve Bluetooth problems or minor glitches.

Anyway, it is interesting and it must be because of something they launched or are thinking of launching a new one since 2019, so what you can find out about it with them, is of interest to everyone here. Thanks

George Dickens

Reaction score
Maybe some store tech is swapping out new for old hardware for his 7 or 8 year old amp and the OS recognizes it as another update- how paranoid is that?

jeffb

Reaction score
Well this answers my question from a few months ago.

My new(ish) Code 25 sounds WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the first one I bought for my son a few years ago.

I'll have to let him know- he pretty much gave up on it and went back to his Line 6 at the time.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
This is why I despise digital stuff. Poor op thought they'd update their amp and now it sounds like crap. Same thing with cellphone updates that reduce performance.

Best of luck to anyone trying to fix the problem.