Marshall DSL 50/100 Clean/Crunch Footswitch - at last!

• Thread starter een7gdr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ultron

Reaction score
Finally back off holiday and got myself sorted out!

The first batch of units should be posted on the 9th November. With regards to adding seperate volume controls for the crunch channel (and the lead 2 channel if you dont want any reverb!) I have sourced some identical 1M volume pots for this option. To add a single volume knob for the crunch channel you would have to remove the reverb B knob and pot (its a 20K i think) and mount the new pot in its place using only the mounting legs. The pot legs need to be bent back at 90degrees so that the wires to the footswitch mod can be soldered on to the top side of the PCB. The output of the reverb A pot will need to be linked to where the output of the B pot was connected so that the single knob controls both channels. Again, if these instructions are followed, there is no reason why this cannot be reversed 100% to return the amp to stock should you need to. Full instructions will be supplied with the kits once i get it all written up.

I can add the spare volume pot if required to the kit for an additional £1.50Otherwise they are available from Marshall for a bit less but theres a £3.50 postage charge on their orders. Please let me know if you want these pots and i will amend the price accordingly.

Thanks for the orders so far, Ill confirm to everyone individaully once they are dispatched.

I'm definitely interested in this...please let us know when you have additional in stock. :wave:

een7gdr

Reaction score
The good news is that I still have a few of the boards available, its been hectic at work recently so havent really been pushing these boards advertising wise - Although FJA Mods have added my boards to their modification list for those who want them installed professionally.

As I mentioned on the last post, there are number of options available for the install, however if you want to re-assign the second reverb knob as a decicated crunch volume knob then you will also need an additional pot to fit in its place.

Standard Mod Kit £40, additional marshall pots £1.50 each (needed for dedicated crunch volume or incase one is damaged during the install)

UK Postage £2, Europe £2.50, Americas £3

If there are any questions then please feel free to ask. PM me for payment instructions if you are interested in the mod.

Riff

Reaction score
Tell me how are you going to use the mod. You still only have one gain knob for the channel. If you turn the gain down for clean, you won't have enough gain for crunch. If you turn up the gain for crunch, it will be too much for clean.

Help!

:confused:

een7gdr

Reaction score
Tell me how are you going to use the mod. You still only have one gain knob for the channel. If you turn the gain down for clean, you won't have enough gain for crunch. If you turn up the gain for crunch, it will be too much for clean.

Help!

:confused:

I find that with the gain set to 7 on the green channel the clean is pretty clean - just starting to break up with hard picking and gives enough crunch when the button is pressed - well enough for me anyway - the amp was never meant to give you massive gain in this mode, just a classic crunch. If you after more crunch the yes your cleans will suffer but you can always lower the volume on the guitar.

The mod isnt for everyone perhaps - it wont change the dynamics of the channels - theres plenty of other mods out there for that it just makes the amp more flexible for live work.

sahlomonic

Reaction score
As a new DSL owner this is good news! Ultimately I'd like a switch for all the modes on the amp to be integrated into a footswitch.

Only 2 trivial complaints I have of the DSL:

1) footswitch selection is too basic - I want all the modes on the amp to be accessed via footswitch as I could use all of those modes live with my band
2) no MIDI! One of the reasons I coveted a 6100 for so long, but even the MIDI on that doesn't allow mode switching.

een7gdr

Reaction score
Sweet! How much? This is a must have.

Prices are given 6 (or so) posts up:

There are number of options available for the install, however if you want to re-assign the second reverb knob as a decicated crunch volume knob then you will also need an additional pot to fit in its place.

Standard Mod Kit £40, additional marshall pots £1.50 each (needed for dedicated crunch volume or incase one is damaged during the install)

UK Postage £2, Europe £2.50, Americas £3

If there are any questions then please feel free to ask. PM me for payment instructions if you are interested in the mod.

swamp

Reaction score
The kit (with a volume pot for crunch replacing one of the reverb controls) is now in my DSL 50. It works just as I hoped. Recomended! My cousin mounted it for me, and said it was an easy job. Three channels, and I also use an overdrive pedal when I want more gain and sustain on one of the three channels, and it,s very versatile. I never uses the mode 2 on the ultra gain channel. I,m using an eq pedal in the fx-loop for boost. It's all you'll ever need :)

Thanks, een7gdr :)

een7gdr

Reaction score
The kit (with a volume pot for crunch replacing one of the reverb controls) is now in my DSL 50. It works just as I hoped. Recomended! My cousin mounted it for me, and said it was an easy job. Three channels, and I also use an overdrive pedal when I want more gain and sustain on one of the three channels, and it,s very versatile. I never uses the mode 2 on the ultra gain channel. I,m using an eq pedal in the fx-loop for boost. It's all you'll ever need :)

Thanks, een7gdr :)

No problem! Your setup sounds a lot like mine, i just needed the extra versitility of the crunch channel with its own volume for live stuff. Glad its worked out for you!

metal_hit

Reaction score
I also did the same with my DSL-50 with clean/crunch chanel,and also OD1/OD2 but I didn't have enough power-24V to feed the additional relаys,and I had to put additional power supply in the amp.Did some of you has experiensed the same problem with the power supply?

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I also did the same with my DSL-50 with clean/crunch chanel,and also OD1/OD2 but I didn't have enough power-24V to feed the additional relаys,and I had to put additional power supply in the amp.Did some of you has experiensed the same problem with the power supply?

The PT has plenty of power to supply an extra relay with its 22-0-22 tap.

een7gdr

Reaction score
As jcmjmp states, the transformer should have enough power - it depends on the choice of relays and how sensitive they are. I measured the "24V" supply before the mods and found it was more like 19V DC so you just need to be sure that the relays are sensitive enough to respond at these voltages.

Incidentally if anyone could measure their "24V" DC power line i would like to know the variations on the different amps.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Graham sent me the mod kit around xmas 2009 but I never really got a chance to install this until now. The install was easy. The only thing that didn't work for me is that the black button cover doesn't really fit on the mod kit's switch. Not a big deal. I'll just add a small dab of silicone to glue on it there.

Overall, I'm very happy with the mod. It works very well and truly makes the DSL a three channel amp. This is the best thing that ever happened to my DSL. I highly recommend this mod kit to anyone that has a DSL. The volume balacing feature to get the volumes the same between the clean and crunch modes works as advertised.

I'm one happy customer.

axl2

Reaction score
How does this work? you just plug a footswitch into the back and it's good to go?

I'd like to have this, if available. How much would I owe who's ever sending these out?

Latest posts