Marshall DSL 50/100 Clean/Crunch Footswitch - at last!

• Thread starter een7gdr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

een7gdr

Reaction score
Hi again EEN, I got my DSL50 back from my Tech this weekend and I haven't yet been able to scrape my jaw up from the floor! The versatility that this has brought to my amp can't be measured, I used it at rehearsal last night and, well, I can't think of any superlatives big enough to describe the effect it's had, just what I needed, the 'spare' (and re-boarded) TSL122 is going to be sleeping with the fishes now! I can advise anyone who wants to open up a whole new world on their DSL should consider this mod very seriously indeed. I went for the all singing and dancing 'version 3 custom mod' with the extra pot, and I really like the fact that I can balance the outputs on clean/crunch so that my levels don't suddenly go through the roof on the crunch channel, unless I want them to that is.
once again, many thanks....
Tange.

Nice one! Im glad it worked out for you - did you get an extra pot fitted like the piccies above or use the reverb A position?

Ive just got the new batch of boards through. Production can start again soon (i just need to get some more pots from Marshall first!)

rockback

Reaction score
As jcmjmp states, the transformer should have enough power - it depends on the choice of relays and how sensitive they are. I measured the "24V" supply before the mods and found it was more like 19V DC so you just need to be sure that the relays are sensitive enough to respond at these voltages.

een7gdr

Reaction score
As jcmjmp states, the transformer should have enough power - it depends on the choice of relays and how sensitive they are. I measured the "24V" supply before the mods and found it was more like 19V DC so you just need to be sure that the relays are sensitive enough to respond at these voltages.

Mine was 18V and the relays still fire! My relays are a similar spec to the original marshall ones so will engage under the same voltage.

Ultron

Reaction score
Anyone from the Chicago area do this mod? I'd like to check it out....seems very cool.

JRP

Reaction score
Hey this is awesome!I would love to buy one,but I'm not sure what you mean By "PM"
as far purchasing one goes,can you give me some info on how to go about buying one?
Thanks for tackling this problem,my DSL had a problem with the bias drifting but a friend of mine modified it so that the bias is set like the old Marshalls with one pot that sets all 4 output tubes.Best Regards Joe

JRP

Reaction score
This is awesome,I would love to get one,exactly how do I go about ordering one ,I'm not sure what you mean by " PM". I just recently had my DSL modified so that the bias is adjusted like the old Marshalls with one pot,No more bias drift!

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
:hmm:Could this mod work for a Marshall Vintage Modern, HIgh dynamic and Low Dynamic switch? It needs it.

een7gdr

Reaction score
This is awesome,I would love to get one,exactly how do I go about ordering one ,I'm not sure what you mean by " PM". I just recently had my DSL modified so that the bias is adjusted like the old Marshalls with one pot,No more bias drift!

JRP You can private message me through this board or use the contact address on my website gsharp.co.uk - DSL Footswitch for more details on getting this mod. I am in the process of parts ordering for some bits at the moment so itll be at least a week or so before any more are ready.

een7gdr

Reaction score
:hmm:Could this mod work for a Marshall Vintage Modern, HIgh dynamic and Low Dynamic switch? It needs it.

This mod is failry generic in terms of replacing a 12 pin 4 pole switch with a number of relays controlled in the same manner as the other footswitchable circuits. All the effort has gon in to ensuring the package is able to fit in the DSL amplifier whilst being sturdy. Unfortunatly I dont have a VM to try this or to work out the required wiring configurations. If you have any photos of the dynamic switch on the board then we could take a look.

thetragichero

Reaction score
let us know when they're ready, because i'm thinkin about taking the plunge on this as well

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
let us know when they're ready, because i'm thinkin about taking the plunge on this as well

yep me too. I know i want to dump the verb from the amp. I've been reading that the reverb is a source of headaches (figuratively) in the DSL amps. Not only causing the latency issues but, when the relays go out it apparently took my red channel all but, out with it and my amp was new. I don't know this for fact but, i'm going to get more info once my amp's finished being repaired and go from there. right now i know that the relays are fried in mine.

eddiegj

Reaction score
Graham sent me the mod kit around xmas 2009 but I never really got a chance to install this until now. The install was easy. The only thing that didn't work for me is that the black button cover doesn't really fit on the mod kit's switch. Not a big deal. I'll just add a small dab of silicone to glue on it there.

I bought this mod as soon as it was available and just installed it yesterday. I am very happy with the results. I did Option 3 the Custom mod with the crunch volume in place where the channel A Reverb control was. I too had an issue with the button fitting the push button switch. The button has a square opening and the new switch is round. I just forced the button on to the switch. Square peg in round hole. It works just fine. This is a very easy install with the right tools and minimal know how. The instructions are top notch and easy to follow. Thank you een7gdr for all your hard work!

Last edited:

een7gdr

Reaction score
I bought this mod as soon as it was available and just installed it yesterday. I am very happy with the results. I did Option 3 the Custom mod with the crunch volume in place where the channel A Reverb control was. I too had an issue with the button fitting the push button switch. The button has a square opening and the new switch is round. I just forced the button on to the switch. Square peg in round hole. It works just fine. This is a very easy install with the right tools and minimal know how. The instructions are top notch and easy to follow. Thank you een7gdr for all your hard work!

Thanks for the feedback guys. The design of the mod and the space available around the switch meant that the choice of switch was limited and unfortunatly I could not get a readily available switch small enough to still line up with the original amp cutout and sit properly on the mod. The button shaft is acutally square, just too small to accept the standard marshall button. I therefore put 2 layes of heatshrink over the switch so that the button can be pushed on, the deformation of the heatshrink then helps hold it in place. If I could get a sub-minature latching push button switch with the large shaft size then I would definately use it in place of the current option.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. All the bits from Marshall are now in so production is re-starting. Please contact me either through the PM (private message) option or through the website listed above for any further details.

eddiegj

Reaction score
The button shaft is actually square, just too small to accept the standard marshall button. I therefore put 2 layes of heatshrink over the switch so that the button can be pushed on, the deformation of the heatshrink then helps hold it in place. If I could get a sub-minature latching push button switch with the large shaft size then I would definately use it in place of the current option.

There is actually no problem with that what so ever. The fit was good and will never be a problem. I recommend this mod for anyone needing to add more versatility to an already versatile amp. If you have a DSL and play in a cover band or original and need multiple sounds to fit the songs you are playing I wouldn't hesitate, contact een and have this thing installed. Nuff said.

TANGENTO67

Reaction score
Hi again Een, I realised I didn't get back to your earlier entry, I used the reverb A option, I've had it now for a few months and its a killer amp, beats the other DSL in our band, I'm 'persuading' our man to get his modded too, keep a look out for another order. Still love that tone.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am curious to know if there are any "strange as me" characters out there that actually enjoy OD2 as well as OD1 on their DSL50/100 rigs??

And to go even further, has anyone used Graham's mod kit on the Ultra Red channel to foot-switch between these modes instead of the Clean and Crunch? And has anyone set their DSL up to be able to foot-switch between all four modes of the two channels?

I was playing my DSL100 a few nights ago and I am digging it all over again now that I have a better suited (and lower volume/output) cab paired with it.

My DSL100 is still stock except for the C12 removal on the Ultra channel. I will be picking up a 3H choke later on to add to it. And I might slightly tinker with a few of the DSL Joey Mods later on as well.

If Marshall would have made the DSL's four modes foot-switchable to begin with, would there have been as many sales numbers for the TSL series they have had up to this point?

LOL

Latest posts