Marshall DSL 50/100 Clean/Crunch Footswitch - at last!

• Thread starter een7gdr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CodeMonkey

Reaction score
My dsl40 sounds awesome . . . wouldn't want to change a thing. And, it sounds even better pushing a mesa boogie cab.

But, I would like to be able to switch between the four channels (Clean/crunch, lead1/lead2), and have the volumes equalized.

That's the mod I'm holding my breath for!

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a bummer, that the DSL did not come from the factory with footswitchable access to all four modes. But having the shared EQ and Volume on each channel was probably part of the reasoning as this was supposed to be a basic two channel switching scheme anyway. If you wanted a fancier Bells and Whistles amp from Marshall, that is what the TSL100/122 was for at that time. And of course, the JVM came later and gave you even more Bells and Whistles.

And not all of these amps left the factory being created equal. I realized this when I scored my second DSL100 locally for a dirt cheap price. It is all stock (well, except for the repair I had to make to the damaged rear output jack PCB it had). I took this amp to a friends jam and everyone was floored by the tone this thing had. My first DSL100 had nowhere near the vibe of this one before I modded the crap right out of it.

The mod I would like to see, would be to have a TSL100/122 type foot controller to switch the four modes of the DSL. That is why I am having second thoughts about installing the Red OD1/OD2 switch to my first DSL100 that has the Green Clean/Crunch switch already. It would make the switching a bit odd for the tap dancing on the floor. I would rather have the switching logic circuit to where I hit one switch to recall a mode instead of having to hit two switches to recall a mode, which could get you mixed up when playing live. Yo have one switch that just toggles between Green/Red, but then you have to have two more switches that put either mode of each channel in an assigned state/mode.

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
I REALLY Graham gets these back into production again soon. Last I heard this was his plan, but that was some months ago.

Graham, if you're out there reading this, there are people here queueing up to buy the kits :wave:

Stymie13

Reaction score
Has anyone tried emailing him? He was very responsive and helpful when I installed mine.

KC LesPaul

Reaction score
Anyone heard from Graham?
I've tried PMing & emailing him.

Does ANYONE out there have the installation manual/instructions, OR the schematics drawing of this mod???

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

een7gdr

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please accept my apologies. The mod is technically still in production, however i have a lot of things going on in my life at the moment. Health, job and house repairs so I have had to put a stall on production at the moment.

Please, if anyone wants guides etc in the mean time please PM me again. I will attempt to go through the backlog in due course.

Please bare with me. BTW as yet the mod is not compatible with the newer DSL s that use more solid state electronics than most airplanes do. These amps use lower voltage relays and IC based switching - although the actual switch footprint is the same. If i had a newer amp then im sure a solution could be found - any donors?

Graham

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
Good to hear from you again Graham, I hope you get all the personal things sorted out quickly & cleanly.

I will gladly offer my services to assemble the kits if that's of any help to you. I have suitable qualifications & experience. PM me if I can help out.

Crooked Finger

Reaction score
I emailed Graham awhile ago through his webpage and also PM'd him here. I'd like to buy this mod but still haven't heard back. Does anyone know if these are still available?

een7gdr

Reaction score
Hi All, Sorry for the hiatus, i haven't found much time to do much outside of work of late. I have found a number of PCBs left from the last batch of the footswitches and have them built now (4 in all). Whilst i have contacted recent email based enquiries i want to check if there was anyone else on this thread that was still waiting to order or even for me to reply. PM me if you want to order or post if there are any questions.

I have only been offering what was called option 3 as it was the only one that people were after. I will update the website at some point as prices of components have unfortunately gone up (no doubt part of our fantastic decision to leave the EU - i won't get into that!), Marshall also put out a price hike a year or so ago as i think they were loosing money on the spares side (they used to be very reasonable but things have almost doubled since i started this project). I have also modified the install guide to just cover this option so that it is clearer to follow. The new price is £80 plus shipping.

Once again sorry for stepping out for so long.

RG31

Reaction score
Just received my clean/crunch foot switch mod from Gram. Now to find the time to install this and install a CT choke and OT and perform the Joey Mods.

WholeLottaGlove

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can buy this mod package at now? I emailed but never got a response

devilRED

Reaction score
Guys, if you don't wanna use the ultra gain, is it possible to remove the switching sistem and use it to switch from clean to crunch?

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys, if you don't wanna use the ultra gain, is it possible to remove the switching sistem and use it to switch from clean to crunch?

When you say, not use the Ultra Gain, do you mean not use the Red channel both Lead 1. Lead 2? Or do you mean still use Lead 1 and eliminate Lead 2?

The switching circuit within the green channel to go back and forth from Clean and Crunch modes is very complex. That is why Graham came up with his circuit that uses either 2 or 3 relay coils (my memory is not 100% on that one) to do this function.

The Red channel switching between Lead 1 & 2 modes on the other hand is very basic.

Is Graham still around?

I have not heard back from him in some time after I talked to him by email about ordering some parts.

Francesco Casali

Reaction score
Hi to all.
Is still this clean/crunch mod available? I’m very interested in this mod.

Thanks.

Latest posts