Marshall DSL 50/100 Clean/Crunch Footswitch - at last!

• Thread starter een7gdr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cylon185

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just replaced the front caps (all capacitors on the pot board) and I still have a bit of a pop when I come back to the green channel from the red.

Doesnt look like I have any LDR on the board though.
I have a RL1 (relay ?) in the same spot.
Look.

080e7082.jpg

fweijers

Reaction score
That seems to be a relais. I also see a diode across it; that's also an indication.
(the diode short cuts peak voltages when the relais is switched).
I'm not sure about optocouplers versus relais; I guess it's different versions of the amplifier.

About the switching sounds ... a bit of a pop is no problem I suppose.
If the pop is too loud, then it's an issue.
Mine pop's too loud.

Did changing the capacitors influence/reduce your popping noise at switching?
Or are you not sure if those caps are any influence?

fweijers

Reaction score
There might be another cause for the popping: no diode across the relays.
I think I will insert diodes across the coils of relay 2 and 3 to cut out high voltage clips when switching.

cylon185

Reaction score
Graham.

You're a GUN.

Just received the kit, a few days after paying.
How the hell do you get something from UK to Aussie this fast...?

Installation took me an hour, being very careful, and your instal manual is just PERFECT.

Thanks for the 1M resistor BTW.

In term of what I think of the mod after playing 20min (it's 10pm here), well, it's pretty simple.

FUCK

ME

I can’t believe it... I love my 30th anniv head and combo, but now it really feels like I've got a SLP in the same box as a JCM800...

Unbelievable.

een7gdr

Reaction score
Graham.

You're a GUN.

Just received the kit, a few days after paying.
How the hell do you get something from UK to Aussie this fast...?

Installation took me an hour, being very careful, and your instal manual is just PERFECT.

Thanks for the 1M resistor BTW.

In term of what I think of the mod after playing 20min (it's 10pm here), well, it's pretty simple.

FUCK

ME

I can’t believe it... I love my 30th anniv head and combo, but now it really feels like I've got a SLP in the same box as a JCM800...

Unbelievable.

Nice one, god knows how it got there so quick, sometimes its just the luck of the draw if the parcel makes the plane the same day or not and whether or not customs feel like they want to get involved. Anyhow, Im glad its done the trick, I felt i needed the versatility of 3 channels so this mod so just had to be done!

Mods are still available, please PM me for contact details etc. Im pretty snowed under with work but have a couple almost ready to go.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
I think I going to change mine so that the level adjustment is on the faceplate. Is this just a matter of replacing the on-board pot with wires and an extra pot?

een7gdr

Reaction score
I think I going to change mine so that the level adjustment is on the faceplate. Is this just a matter of replacing the on-board pot with wires and an extra pot?

Remind me, did you opt for the internal volume matching option? If so then you have to options, remove and extend the wiring from the pot to a new one to keep it as a level matching pot or change the wiring configuration so that the external pot is a completely independent crunch volume, this requires a bit more work however to undo the original volume control mods and wire to a different pin on the original volume control. If you look at the table in the install guide it describes what each wiring pin does for option 2 and 3 installs.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score

I am SO GLAD I did that with mine. I was going to drill a hole and put the new pot on the faceplate front. But I went with putting the Crunch volume in place of one of the Reverb pots. The single master Reverb pot works great.

maltone

Reaction score
een7gdr.. very cool. I don't actually have the DSL 100 in my possession yet - soon. I can't believe Marshall missed this. As if players would never want to switch from clean to crunch - and maintain the same volume levels - that's dummy obvious.

Now, because I don't own one yet, I haven't even seen the foot switch. Does the stock foot-switch have the function to at least switch between clean & crunch?

Would you share your schematic with me. I have a friend, an electronics engineer who could do this mod for me for a case of beer. I need this.
Very, very cool dude!

een7gdr

Reaction score
een7gdr.. very cool. I don't actually have the DSL 100 in my possession yet - soon. I can't believe Marshall missed this. As if players would never want to switch from clean to crunch - and maintain the same volume levels - that's dummy obvious.

Now, because I don't own one yet, I haven't even seen the foot switch. Does the stock foot-switch have the function to at least switch between clean & crunch?

Would you share your schematic with me. I have a friend, an electronics engineer who could do this mod for me for a case of beer. I need this.
Very, very cool dude!

PM me with your email address and ill send the install information over. To be honest, I lost the schematic drawings the last time my PC went belly up, I havent needed to redraw it since as my PCB supplier has all the info they need. The schematic is based on the original relay switching circuits and tapping off the various signals already present on the amp - the issue is getting all the bits onto a PCB and squeezing it in the space where the original switch is fitted.

I dont know what footswitch comes with the DSL as new, mine was second hand and had a single footswitch. Youll need another single footswitch to choose between clean/crunch or buy a dual footswitch with a stereo jack on it to keep pedal count down (youll then need to split the stereo jack into 2 monos for the individual jack inputs).

D-Max

Reaction score
I just installed the mod kit and it works flawlessly!

It was the option 3 kit with the additional volume control for the crunch channel.
Within an hour the mod was installed, including drilling a hole for the additional footswitch jack connector.
I removed the Reverb A pot and put the crunch volume pot in that spot.

Some tips/advise:
- I used a permanent marker with a fine point to label the connectors.
- Take the advise that (de)soldering skills are required seriously; use a vacuum desoldering station, if you can get your hands on it (borrow it somewhere). Something like this: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8nX2yD96AM]Using a Vacuum Desoldering Tool - YouTube[/ame]
Why?
The parts that need to be removed have multiple pins to desolder:
The clean/crunch switch has 12 pins + 1 pin to solder he casing the the PCB.
The pots have 4 pins + 2 pins to solder the casing to the pcb.

Even with the desoldering iron, I lost one of the unused solder pads for the clean/crunch switch.
No problem in this case, but not so good if one of the other traces comes loose from the PCB.
I can imagine that if you're using a regular soldering iron to unsolder components on the board, serious damage to the traces can be done.

Anyway, I can highly recommend this mod.

Next thing is to get a 3-way footswitch.

ChrisYoung

Reaction score
A couple of questions.
Will these work with the new DSL100H?
And are these kits still available?

Thanks!
Chris

een7gdr

Reaction score
Has anyone looked inside a 100H yet, are there any major differences?

If anyone wants to lend me theirs then i can check out compatibility ;)

Nicholas666

Reaction score
Man..I always thought about this....Why the hell did Marshall not make them footswitchable....??? Awesome job man!

tazzboy

Reaction score
Going to bump this up and say I need to get this along with fx loop too.

Maduag

Reaction score
Are these pedals still available? The website that was linked is long gone.

Latest posts