• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall Dsl15h Vs Jcm2000tsl100 Vs Jcm800 2205 (1984)

SirTolik

Reaction score
Hello! Recently I have obtained the mentioned 3 AMPS at a low price and 2 marshal cabs with them: 1х12 and MG412A.
I am learning to play right now (on Gibson LP studio 1992), aim to play Gary Moore, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, etc. and some lyric stuff on clean sound.
Since I need to sell 2 of the AMP's could you give me an advice, what would be the best option to leave with me for the future (even in case I go playing on stage)? I mostly am considering between JCM800 2205 and TSL100 right now with the 412 cab. Or maybe I should sell all 3 and find something better?
Thank you in advance!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hello! Recently I have obtained the mentioned 3 AMPS at a low price and 2 marshal cabs with them: 1х12 and MG412A.
I am learning to play right now (on Gibson LP studio 1992), aim to play Gary Moore, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, etc. and some lyric stuff on clean sound.
Since I need to sell 2 of the AMP's could you give me an advice, what would be the best option to leave with me for the future (even in case I go playing on stage)? I mostly am considering between JCM800 2205 and TSL100 right now with the 412 cab. Or maybe I should sell all 3 and find something better?
Thank you in advance!

They all have their pros and cons, tell us which one you like and why.

SirTolik

Reaction score
It's hard to describe sounds in a non-native language, but I will give it a try:) Previously I played in the AVT20 combo, so tube amps is something new for me.
I didn't like the DSL15H one because it sounded very light-weighted and "narrow" for me. The JCM800 made a big impression due to the massive powerful sound, but yet not that bright and textured in the middle / top. I found the TSL100 to be very versatile with the 3 channels (mostly I tested the crunch channel and suddenly liked the tone of the sound, brighter and textured comparing to the JCM800. One of concerns regarding TSL100 is that it's not considered a popular well sounding Marshall, as I understood. So I am not sure of the future with it.
With the powerful amps there's an issue, of course. I can't turn the master volume higher that 2.5 on the JCM800 :)

EastTexas

Reaction score
Honestly, this is really simple. Play all of the amps enough to know them well, and then pick the one you like best. It doesn't matter if everyone else thinks an amp is good or not, if you make it sound good when you play through it, that is all that matters. Those are all good amps, one of them should make you happy.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Tone is so subjective. If you like it that’s all that really matters (unless of course it sounds like it has a blanket over it).

If you end up playing live nobody in the audience will care if you have the DSL, TSL or JCM. You may want to consider getting rid of the MG cab and get something with better speakers. Doesn’t necessarily need to be a 4x12 either. Many bar owners cringe when they see those things coming through the door.

GT08

Reaction score
Don't be swayed by the anti-TSL stuff you read on this forum. Test them all WELL and keep which ever you like best.
I would recommend to you a 1936 cab though, it really would be a great upgrade from the MG and two speakers is plenty, I have a 1936 & 1960.
I have owed my TSL 100 head from new for over 17 years, it is a GREAT amp.
Just remember this.....most folks on this forum can't play.
Rock n' roll

marshalled

Reaction score
For all life 2205 john norum docet...from 80' in many live stage!!!

SirTolik

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies!
First of all. I do agree that I need a new cab. The MX-series does not seem to sound right.
I was surprised, but my to my taste my old AVT20 easily overplays the DSL15H on both channels.
The JCM800 sounds dull: the boost channel sounds weaker that the one of the TSL, and with the same volume settings the clean channel is much louder. May be that's because nobody did the maintenace. Could this be the case?
And I did get used to the TSL :))

SGFA

Reaction score
The JCM2000 TSL is a great amp, very versatile - if you need such versatility, and it sounds good. Don't be turned off by internet forums if you like it. I used to have the 2x12" combo and I end up selling becouse it was crazily heavy... the 100W head is the way to go, with a good cab of course - say a 1936V would be enough!

Clifdawg

Reaction score
Always value the opinion that YOU hold above all. After all, it's going to be your amp. If you think the TSL is better than the JCM800, you're bound to get some flak about why you're wrong. Want to win that argument? Put down the phone/laptop/computer, plug in, and rock out. There, your ears win. ;)

People will try to convince you that you're missing something if you don't buy *their* favorite amplifier. You're not, especially if you're playing yours. :dude:

SirTolik

Reaction score
I was also asking because I don't have experience in playing in a band, etc., so I have absolutely no idea what would the criteria be in this case. But definitely my ears are the first opinion as I need to like what I hear :)

StratoMarshall

Reaction score
The JCM2000 TSL is a great amp, very versatile - if you need such versatility, and it sounds good. Don't be turned off by internet forums if you like it. I used to have the 2x12" combo and I end up selling becouse it was crazily heavy... the 100W head is the way to go, with a good cab of course - say a 1936V would be enough!
SGFA is correct in stating that the TSL is a good amp. I own a TSL100 and a vintage JMP 2204. Love 'em both but the TSL gets more gig time because of its versatility. It does get bad reviews from a lot of folks in my opinion because they expect it to behave like a more traditional vintage amp when it comes to EQ. You cannot set the tone controls the same as a JCM800 or a JMP or a Plexi and expect to get the same tones. You CAN however play with the tone controls and reasonably approach the sounds of those famous amps! Enough to play live and no one but a cork sniffer would know the difference!

I also agree with other posts that you should become really familiar with each amp and decide what works best for you!

Rock on and enjoy the Marshall goodness!

SirTolik

Reaction score
Would there be any major difference for me between the 1936 and the 1936V-series for me for the JCM800 and the TSL100 amps? Or maybe 1960 and 1960V - I presume that the the 4 x 12 gives more of the power feeling.
The JCM800 sounds like the good old Russian rock. I love it :)

Last edited:

Latest posts