Marshall Gv2 ' Guv'nor Plus' Overdrive/distortion Pedal - How It Works & Mods

• Thread starter JohnH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnH

Reaction score
I got one of these last week. I'd been thinking about it before, and this thread reminded me again:

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/say-‘ello-to-the-5-finest-marshall-guv’nor-clones.93122/

It's a pretty looking thing!:

1920-guvnor.jpg

Curved silver finish, embossed Marshall logo, die-cast body and all the gold bling on the knobs.

It's well built and solid, and you get a lot for not much $, including 4-way Eq, a circuit with four opamp stages and true bypass switching.

Testing it out, there's a huge range of tones and it seems to run from clean up to medium-high gain. But for all that, my first impression was it lacks some clear direct-sounding sparkle.

When I get a drive pedal, a lot of the fun for me, apart from playing it, is in working out how it works and how to adjust it to suit what I like.

Although it's quite well known, there is not as much online about it compared to other classic pedals such as TS's and SD-1's. This is the most common diagram online for the GV-2:

Marshall-GV-2-schematic_zpswzwrckwl.jpg

It has some suggestions from whoever marked it up. I checked against my pedal, and the component numbers seem to match. It also identifies how the pots and jack inputs are on their own boards. But it's a little hard to follow, a bit blurry and also wires cross that are sometimes joined and sometimes not.

So since other versions are hard to find, it's also a good idea to reference the original version of the Guv'nor, on which the GV-2 was based:

guvnor_schem_zpsettmr9pi.gif

Neither of these are official versions, but all other schematics that I could find online are based on one or other of them.

Circuit Design

Both versions start similarly, with two non-distorting op-amp gain stages, which each include a capacitor in the feedback so bass is de-emphasised at higher gain - good practice in these circuits.

Then the distortion, with hard-clipping to ground using a pair of inverted red LED's. Mods on these components are one of the popular changes. Actually, the quality of tones that the LEDs create seem quite nice to me.

Then comes the passive tone stack, T, M, B, similar to a Marshall amp. At this point, the two versions vary because the original sends a signal out via a volume pot directly after the passive tone stack, with no further active stages, while the GV-2 feeds a buffer followed by the 'Deep' circuit.

Here is a significant difference: All components in the GV2 tone stack are x10 or x1/10 compared to the original, including the pots. In principle, this should keep the tonal balance the same, but with less load on the previous stage and more signal drive for ongoing stages due to the buffer. For example, GV-2 has a 1M volume pot while the original had 100k. But, just after the volume pot is a cap C22 (new) or C14 (old) which according to the schematics is the same 470pF value. Placed after a 100k pot and the original tone stack, this lightly trims the high treble. But after a stack with 10x the impedance it deeply cuts treble.

If this is correct, then it is strange since the blurb about the GV-2 implies that it contains the tone of the original. I think it may possibly be a mistake, and should have been 47pF to follow the principle of x10 impedance to be followed through.

In any case, it directly relates to this loss of high end in the GV-2, and a popular mod is to remove it. The board is easy to get to and all the components are referenced.

Frequency Response

I used the schematics above to make a simulation model using 5Spice (free download). The main board is all represented, without switching, and using the GV-2 component references to match the actual board and the schematic.

GuvschematicGV2_zpsydic36kg.gif

The red circles identify some mods that I've tried (see below). The graphs below are the basic frequency response for small signals (ie below distortion level)

Volume Control:

This is sweeping the volume pot on the stock circuit:

Stock%20Vol%20min%20gain_zpso3wbelra.gif

See how the C22 cap is cutting into highs, increasingly at higher volume.

So I took that out. I also bypassed R25 and removed R26. This adds 6db to output volume, with no ill effects that I can find. I also removed C23 from the Deep circuit for a little more highs. Here is the volume plot repeated:

ModVolmingain_zpspeftuzdt.gif

Now there is a few db available of clean transparent boost, even at minimum gain.

Gain Pot

The plots above are at minimum gain. Here it is with the gain pot stepped up:

Gain2_zps7l6ocucb.gif

It shows how gain is more focussed on higher frequencies as gain increases.

Tone controls:

Here are the Treble, Mid, Bass and Deep pots at minimum and maximum;

Treble:

Treble_zpsqmtstxhq.gif

Mid:

mid_zpshumexr2q.gif

Bass:

Bass_zpswapv3vh2.gif

Deep:

Deep_zpshsaj19kz.gif

You can see how the mid control is balanced at around 1000hz, and this could no-doubt be tweaked. The Deep control is focussed on very low bass, below guitar range. The hump could be shifted up by decreasing two caps (C16 and C17) in the deep circuit to give more action around 80hz. As stock, it does still have a useful effect on the guitar low notes though.

As usual, the TMB stack is highly interactive, and boosting mids also cuts treble etc. The Deep control is completely independent however.

Conclusion

This is a great fun pedal now.

The knobs are very versatile, though a bit fiddly with 6 stacked into 4 positions. I think you set this pedal for one good sound at a time and use it for that, rather than tweaking on the fly..

I was expecting it to be 'in-yer-face', and it can be, but it also sits nicely in the warm low-gain overdrive range too. The deep control can get almost Fendery. Cranking up though, it sounds very 'Hard Rock' or '80's Metal' to me, so there is a good range here. The tone controls need to be adjusted widely to get to the good places. For me, it has a great tonal range, but others may prefer a bit of the C22 cap put back in, maybe 47pF or 100pF, to smooth it a bit more.

I like it!

Last edited:

JohnH

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put the following thought, but I just watched the demo on this thread about a 'Jubilee-in-box' by Alexander pedals:
http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/jubilee-in-a-box-anyone.93288/

That's a cool little pedal, very well demonstrated. But I could instantly recognise the same tones as I'm hearing out of this Guv'nor, once the 5-minute mods described above are done. I'm playing into a clean channel on my DSL combo.

And so it should be too! The Guv'nor first came out in the late '80's, when the Jubilee series was the top Marshall design. Like the Jubilee (and presumably the Alexander pedal), the Guv'nor also uses diode clipping to ground, followed by a Marshall TMB tone stack, then you also get the deep control.

Now I gotta go find me a Slash-tone...

JohnH

Reaction score
An update on my Guv'nor mods after a couple of weeks

The treble-cutting cap C22, which was 470pF and which many modders remove, I put back as 82pF which just takes a slight edge off.

With the volume boosting mod above, it makes a very handy clean booster with powerful 4-band EQ, and this works in the low gain range 0 to about 2, then the crunch comes in, very naturally particularly into a tube amp and it easily gets through most of the 1980's tones up to full shred. Its also great for noodling through my little Mg10.

But I found a problem, where at full gain, full volume (as modded by me) and max treble, when the guitar is directly plugged to the Guv'nor, there can be a howling instability created. There is so much gain on tap that the output signal is inducing signals back into its input wiring, which is all a fairly tight un-screened tangle inside the pedal. Its not actually a big practical issue, since by the time gain is full, it definitely needs the treble to be cut back by the treble control. It is fixed by small reductions in output volume, or treble, or gain, or, by feeding the Guvnor by a buffered pedal before it. Interesting though, and it may be a reason why the designers of the GV2 felt the need to cut volume by 6db, even after a passive tone stack where most designs would try to build the signal back up again.

But I love this pedal - I keep finding more ways to get great sounds with it. It serves Slash-tones any day of the week, but depending on gain and EQ settings, all decades are covered.

3Gr8KidsDad

Reaction score
Super noob here! Exactly how do I remove the C22. Just cut a wire? Thanks in advance. (btw, photos would be awesome of the procedure). :)

Martin Maniac

Reaction score
I recently bought a Gov'Nor pedal. I also bought the Blues Breaker pedal. Me and the Blues Breaker got along very well right from the start. Sounded great thru my Marshall amp. Then I bought a Supro amp and thought the Marshall pedals would also sound great thru that, but not so. You see the Supro is an amp with a bit of a grind already built in. Where as my Marshall I was using a clean setting. The Marshall pedals sound great thru the Marshall amp. Any how I just wanted to chime in about the Blues Breaker pedal....it's my favorite of the two. No mods needed.

Reactions: JAC

JohnH

Reaction score
Super noob here! Exactly how do I remove the C22. Just cut a wire? Thanks in advance. (btw, photos would be awesome of the procedure). :)

Snip one wire is fine, but better if possible to melt the solder underneath at one end and pull one end out of the board. Its neater and easier if you then want to replace it or pull both ends and put a smaller value there.

The board is well labelled. Here is a pic online. I cant see C22 there but I think its obscured under a wire.

GV2-Guvnor-guts2.jpg

JimiRules

Reaction score
Is the GV-2 Guv'nor Plus discontinued?
I can't find them very easily to buy new.
http://www.hollywoodguitars.com/marshall-gv-2.html?viewfullsite=1

After watching these two vids, I thought I should maybe jump on a mint example going 2nd hand at my LGS, and give it a tweak.

Are these the same mods you have detailed above @JohnH?

I believe the plus is no longer being made. I did find a new one on Amazon for $140.

I bought a plus back in the late 90's and ran it through the clean channel of the Carvin Valvemaster I had back then. It was pretty much a Marshall in a box.

JohnH

Reaction score
Is the GV-2 Guv'nor Plus discontinued?
I can't find them very easily to buy new.
http://www.hollywoodguitars.com/marshall-gv-2.html?viewfullsite=1

After watching these two vids, I thought I should maybe jump on a mint example going 2nd hand at my LGS, and give it a tweak.

Are these the same mods you have detailed above @JohnH?

Thanks for posting the vids. He was going into much more detail about how to exactly match to the original tone, whereas I was just exploring to make it more what I wanted. But it gets to a similar place. Particularly the C22 mod. The basic internet mod is to remove it. He replaced it with 47pF which is the right thing to do if you want to exactly match Mark 1 tone. I replaced it with 82pF because that's how I liked it along with other things I was doing. We both, by chance, arrived at the same R25 R26 mod. He also has more stuff to do on the deep circuit whereas I just swapped one cap.