Marshall Joe Satriani JVM DEMO

• Thread starter Snakeface
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marival

Reaction score
have you done any mods already?

personally, i wouldn't sell my regular JVM for this version... it's not that i don't like it, but from what i can hear it get's too close to the AFD100 that i already have... and it certainly doesn't have that idiot amount of gain anymore on the OD channels

the way i got my (stereo)rig sorted from gentle upto balls out is:
clean green/orange/red
crunch orange
crunch red
AFD
OD1 orange
OD2 red

I think it should be noted that the JS JVM and the 410H are two very differently voiced animals. Just like the guys at Andertons state, it's just another option you might want to pick up. Not necessarily an improvement upon an amplifier, just a tweaked one. I'm certainly not taking a Tony stand, but I will say that I think the JS will suit me more than the regular 410H. Reason being that I don't regularly play with a whole lot of gain, so I won't be missing that in the JS version. Also having an AFD-flavoured crunch channel is pretty sleek, because I would never buy an AFD100 myself. Overall your setup is pretty sweet by the looks of it. Looks like you've got just about anything you could ask for. Your main guitar also has SD P-Rails, right? That's maximum versatility right there.

As for the whole noise argument.. I certainly don't agree with calling something a piece of crap just because the gain makes it noisy. ANYTHING high-gain will be noisy. What do you get when you dime the YJM's boost circuit and leave the noise gate off? Bingo. Tony needs to stop acting as if Marshall are the only ones who can combine an amp and a noise gate. The Boss NS-2 is a very inexpensive pedal.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
have you done any mods already?

personally, i wouldn't sell my regular JVM for this version... it's not that i don't like it, but from what i can hear it get's too close to the AFD100 that i already have... and it certainly doesn't have that idiot amount of gain anymore on the OD channels

the way i got my (stereo)rig sorted from gentle upto balls out is:
clean green/orange/red
crunch orange
crunch red
AFD
OD1 orange
OD2 red

Yeah the versatility is there with both amps.
I can hear how they've got the Crunch channel sweeter on the JVM410JS and it oozes out like it does on the AFD100.
I'd like to get the Crunch channel to be a bit sweeter on the JVM, but then again I might be due to bias it, and will bias it hotter.
What do you bias your 410 at?

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it should be noted that the JS JVM and the 410H are two very differently voiced animals. Just like the guys at Andertons state, it's just another option you might want to pick up. Not necessarily an improvement upon an amplifier, just a tweaked one. I'm certainly not taking a Tony stand, but I will say that I think the JS will suit me more than the regular 410H. Reason being that I don't regularly play with a whole lot of gain, so I won't be missing that in the JS version. Also having an AFD-flavoured crunch channel is pretty sleek, because I would never buy an AFD100 myself. Overall your setup is pretty sweet by the looks of it. Looks like you've got just about anything you could ask for. Your main guitar also has SD P-Rails, right? That's maximum versatility right there.
yup SD P-rails combined with triple shots, giving the guitar a total of 40 options (various options sound pretty close to eachother though...) i've got plans to broaden it even further by adding the graph tech piezo saddles with the acoustiphonic preamp... i know some people are not that fond of heavily customising a guitar of a caliber like this one , but it's my only real axe and i've been trough a lot of things with it... including the dreaded headstock snap...
i'll never sell it... and every other guitar that i may, or may not buy in the future will become just that: just another guitar and not THE guitar if you get my drift

as santiago and satriani already told, the 410HJS has the channels and modes closer together gainwise (and therefore it may be probably easier to dial the whole amp in for most people) and the demo's show it... the original 410H has a wider range... since i use two amps i have no need for a amp that's in between... in fact the modifications done to my JVM, moved it already closer towards the AFD

Yeah the versatility is there with both amps.
I can hear how they've got the Crunch channel sweeter on the JVM410JS and it oozes out like it does on the AFD100.
I'd like to get the Crunch channel to be a bit sweeter on the JVM, but then again I might be due to bias it, and will bias it hotter.
What do you bias your 410 at?

i used to bias very hot, but since i'm using an attenuator and drive the poweramp harder, i backed off a bit and stay on 65% of actual plate dissipation, calculated by using the test points while subtracting screen current... it's set around 80mV per side @ 465Vdc on the plates
also got 6CA7's in there now, which lean a bit towards 6550's (both are beam penthodes)
in stock form the JVM's crunch is a bit on the stiff side, the 10H choke that was added, made a bit more loose and happy... the negative feedbackmod (by using a 1M log pot) did it even more good...
but clean red suffers from it as it becomes too mushy with a fair amount of feedback being reduced, so that's the compromise you have to take
if you ever want to try a mod, i'd recommend to place a 1M log pot in the negative feedbackloop... you don't have to drill holes, just connect the pot only and experiment with the results to see if you like it... you can always decide to keep it or undo it :)

Ed Hunter

Reaction score
Man I wanted to watch the demo but as soon as I saw who was hosting it
my stomach turned. Watching the two of them drone on for ten minutes about nonsense is more than I can take. I tried to ff to some of the more interesting parts but just couldn't get anything out of it. I guess those two just rub me the wrong way for some reason. Probably the whole salesman pitch thing. Talking about Satriani and that "other" company, like they can't mention the name for some reason. As though it's some sinful part of his past that we are meant to forget about. I'm sure last week they probably did a video praising the Peavy JS line. Every time they demo something its just line after line about how great it is. Well of course because thier business is to sell as much crap as possible. Sorry for the rant.

:dude: I hate these two guy myself and unfortunatly they and tony mac are the only guys that do high res demo's:(

Ed Hunter

Reaction score
I will take the video for what it was... but I can assure you that that was an absolute terrible demonstration of what that amp can do... terrible I say.

I was thinking this as i watched it that this marshall actually sounds 100 times better than on this vid. it sounded fizzy on this demo:(

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
yup SD P-rails combined with triple shots, giving the guitar a total of 40 options (various options sound pretty close to eachother though...) i've got plans to broaden it even further by adding the graph tech piezo saddles with the acoustiphonic preamp... i know some people are not that fond of heavily customising a guitar of a caliber like this one , but it's my only real axe and i've been trough a lot of things with it... including the dreaded headstock snap...
i'll never sell it... and every other guitar that i may, or may not buy in the future will become just that: just another guitar and not THE guitar if you get my drift

as santiago and satriani already told, the 410HJS has the channels and modes closer together gainwise (and therefore it may be probably easier to dial the whole amp in for most people) and the demo's show it... the original 410H has a wider range... since i use two amps i have no need for a amp that's in between... in fact the modifications done to my JVM, moved it already closer towards the AFD

i used to bias very hot, but since i'm using an attenuator and drive the poweramp harder, i backed off a bit and stay on 65% of actual plate dissipation, calculated by using the test points while subtracting screen current... it's set around 80mV per side @ 465Vdc on the plates
also got 6CA7's in there now, which lean a bit towards 6550's (both are beam penthodes)
in stock form the JVM's crunch is a bit on the stiff side, the 10H choke that was added, made a bit more loose and happy... the negative feedbackmod (by using a 1M log pot) did it even more good...
but clean red suffers from it as it becomes too mushy with a fair amount of feedback being reduced, so that's the compromise you have to take
if you ever want to try a mod, i'd recommend to place a 1M log pot in the negative feedbackloop... you don't have to drill holes, just connect the pot only and experiment with the results to see if you like it... you can always decide to keep it or undo it :)

Ive never tried the JVM with an attenuator. I will today. I'm interested how Clean/Red and Crunch/Red sound. :naughty:

OdgeUK

Reaction score
Honestly some of these amps look like they will have to be thrown away if they break down after being discontinued.

That's something that concerns me too. I hear that the Marshall 6100 35th Anniversary amps have components that now can't be replaced or repaired if they go wrong. I worry that this will be the case with JVM's in years to come. At least my old JMP's will always be servicable.

Then again, if the JVM sells in huge numbers (as I suspect it will be, in the vein of the DSL range) then I imagine there will be enough demand to keep the component suppliers making everything for decades?

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Aww don't rag on them two much guys, their demos are hilarious and seem to be meant as nothing more than a general idea of the gear they demo, with lots of humor. :p

Lookin' forward to watching this after crazy Friday is over.