Van Hagar Satriani

• Thread starter Crunchifyable
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

V-Type

Reaction score
Alex is done. The guy is old and wants no more industry BS douching up his day's. MA and Hagar are a cover band of VH. Satch is a Great guitarist but even he will tell you he aint Ed. Wolfie is simply following what EVH wanted him to do and that is Do Not Re Tread VH and go out and make your own style/mark in music. WVH may not be everyones cup of tea but he is getting radio play and seeing impressive sized gigs continually. Let it go the King is gone.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
Alex is done. The guy is old and wants no more industry BS douching up his day's. MA and Hagar are a cover band of VH. Satch is a Great guitarist but even he will tell you he aint Ed. Wolfie is simply following what EVH wanted him to do and that is Do Not Re Tread VH and go out and make your own style/mark in music. WVH may not be everyones cup of tea but he is getting radio play and seeing impressive sized gigs continually. Let it go the King is gone.
Word...

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Alex is done. The guy is old and wants no more industry BS douching up his day's. MA and Hagar are a cover band of VH. Satch is a Great guitarist but even he will tell you he aint Ed. Wolfie is simply following what EVH wanted him to do and that is Do Not Re Tread VH and go out and make your own style/mark in music. WVH may not be everyone’s cup of tea but he is getting radio play and seeing impressive sized gigs continually. Let it go the King is gone.
Very well put sir ( and much more diplomatic than my comment 🤦‍♂️ ) 👍

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Could you be more specific? Which twats are you referring to? :D
Where to start ( as you asked , was gonna leave it there ) . Just take it for what it is and enjoy the thing these guys are getting out there and doing . The VH were better with Diamond Dave comments are so old and frankly boring , and bashing/questioning Joe Satriani’s guitar playing abilities ‘REALLY’ ???? As V-Type said Joe would never profess to be Eddie and as he says has avoided playing any VH stuff up to this point so as not to subconsciously find himself coping Eddies style of playing as so many others did ( and quite frankly made a point of ) back in the day . Also when Sammy bashing please remember the early much revered VH music ( first two albums) probably wouldn’t have been quite the same ( certainly guitar sound wise ) without a certain band called Montrose , I could go on and on ( can’t be arsed ) but I will leave it there .

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where to start ( as you asked , was gonna leave it there ) . Just take it for what it is and enjoy the thing these guys are getting out there and doing . The VH were better with Diamond Dave comments are so old and frankly boring , and bashing/questioning Joe Satriani’s guitar playing abilities ‘REALLY’ ???? As V-Type said Joe would never profess to be Eddie and as he says has avoided playing any VH stuff up to this point so as not to subconsciously find himself coping Eddies style of playing as so many others did ( and quite frankly made a point of ) back in the day . Also when Sammy bashing please remember the early much revered VH music ( first two albums) probably wouldn’t have been quite the same ( certainly guitar sound wise ) without a certain band called Montrose , I could go on and on ( can’t be arsed ) but I will leave it there .
I agree. And I don't get the hate for Sammy. Love songs..lol..yea.. Sammy bashers need to hear that first Montrose album, and remember it was released in 1973....oh..and guess who Produced it?

Last edited:

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
if Alex wants to retire, then fine. he has nothing but respect from me. he's earned it. its his right... as for Wolfie - he's an amazing musician, a mediocre singer, and a terrible songwriter.

but there's nothing wrong with the Hagar/Anthony/Satriani/Bonham band doing the Van Hagar era stuff live. the only weak link is Sammy's voice, which let's be honest, isn't horrible considering that he's 76 years old. the rest of the guys sound amazing, ESPECIALLY Satriani. as much as I love Eddie, Joe can replicate any of EVH's parts effortlessly... there's no reason that they should just "let it go" as you say. there isn't anything bad or shameful about them commemorating and celebrating Van Halen's music.

cccc

Reaction score
if Alex wants to retire, then fine. he has nothing but respect from me. he's earned it. its his right... as for Wolfie - he's an amazing musician, a mediocre singer, and a terrible songwriter.

but there's nothing wrong with the Hagar/Anthony/Satriani/Bonham band doing the Van Hagar era stuff live. the only weak link is Sammy's voice, which let's be honest, isn't horrible considering that he's 76 years old. the rest of the guys sound amazing, ESPECIALLY Satriani. as much as I love Eddie, Joe can replicate any of EVH's parts effortlessly... there's no reason that they should just "let it go" as you say. there isn't anything bad or shameful about them commemorating and celebrating Van Halen's music.

A mediocre singer and songwriter ? You out yo dang mind and yo also out yo dang mind to say Joe can replicate EVH parts effortlessly . I have yet to hear Joe replicate any of Ed's parts, let alone effortlessly .

colchar

Reaction score
Huge fan of EVH and was sorely dissapointed when DLR left (thrown out, but whatever) and do appreciate Ed’s playing on the later records but Sammy never got it done for me. Sammy is no Dave and Satch as much as I love him is no Ed.

Steve Vai might have been a better choice.

colchar

Reaction score

Not everyone slags the Hagar era. Hell, if I remember correctly they were more commercially successful in that era than they were during the Roth era.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
A mediocre singer and songwriter ? You out yo dang mind and yo also out yo dang mind to say Joe can replicate EVH parts effortlessly . I have yet to hear Joe replicate any of Ed's parts, let alone effortlessly .
so, I'm out of my dang mind for having my own opinion?? you're hilarious... and yes, I stand by my statement... Wolfie is an incredible guitarist. that being said, he is just an OK singer, and I do not enjoy his music. I'm allowed to not like it, if that's ok with you.

and have you checked out any of the rehearsal footage that Sammy has been posting recently on social media?? Satriani is killing it, playing all of Eddie's parts flawlessly. go hear it for yourself instead of being oppositional against everything I'm saying here. and go bother someone else.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
Steve Vai might have been a better choice.
Vai is working on his Robert Fripp licks these days. I've got a ticket to see that in November.

It's up to Diamond Dave to again hitch his wagon to Stave Vai next year for Van Halen tribute tour #2

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Vai is working on his Robert Fripp licks these days. I've got a ticket to see that in November.

It's up to Diamond Dave to again hitch his wagon to Stave Vai next year for Van Halen tribute tour #2
he should do an Eat 'em & Smile reunion tour...

I bet Sheehan & Vai would jump on it... Bissonette seems to be in good shape still as well.

A few years back, they actually had a similar thing happen, where, they were doing a free show in LA, at the Lucky Strike bowling alley (I think they still do) & they booked Vai, Sheehan & Bissonette to do a DLR reunion, w/ the Steel Panther singer. Word was, that there was a possibility that Dave would stop by & sit in on a couple tunes, or... take over the show.

Free show, w/ the rumors that Dave might show up, the line was 10 x's capacity for the place & the LA Fire shut it down hours before the doors opened...

A few months later, Vai, Sheehan & Bissonette got together at NAMM & had Jeff Scot Soto do vocals...

V-Type

Reaction score
so, I'm out of my dang mind for having my own opinion?? you're hilarious... and yes, I stand by my statement... Wolfie is an incredible guitarist. that being said, he is just an OK singer, and I do not enjoy his music. I'm allowed to not like it, if that's ok with you.

and have you checked out any of the rehearsal footage that Sammy has been posting recently on social media?? Satriani is killing it, playing all of Eddie's parts flawlessly. go hear it for yourself instead of being oppositional against everything I'm saying here. and go bother someone else.
It's cool if that is your opinion on WVH's abilities. However most his fans arent necessarily VH fans so much as just Younger generation fans of Radio Rock. WVH not only makes money as an act he is also approached by larger acts too open or co-headline. Generally folks who cant sing and cant write good songs dont get such accommodations in the cut throat West Music industry. There is something satisfying in creating,playing and selling ones own material vs a tribute or cover player. Ymmv.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I don't love what I've heard of WVH but good on him for doing his own thing.

Not everyone slags the Hagar era. Hell, if I remember correctly they were more commercially successful in that era than they were during the Roth era.
I'm pretty sure the Roth era was more successful. I think most people like that era best...hands down.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I love both versions ... was on the road a bit earlier today, and listened to both 5150 & F.U.C.K. ... both are great albums!

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Reading Hagar's bio changed my mind about him, for the better. As for Wolfie, I dunno... seems like a nice kid with his head on straight, but does anyone really listen to his music other than us old farts? I can guarantee no one under 25 I know has ever heard of him. It's hip hop or country all the way down, at least in my neck of the woods.

Latest posts