Marshall Origin 20H and pedals

tonycaster

Reaction score
Just to share my experience with the Origin and the pedals I have...
Yesterday I've decided to trade the Xotic SL Drive, which I was using as main distortion with my Origin 20H (paired with a 1x12 G12M 65 creamback), in favor of an Mxr Timmy spotted in a local store; right after I went to rock gig in a small club.
The guitar goes into a whammy5>polytune>Mooer Yellow Comp>Zvex SHO (always on with the knob @ noon)>Timmy (originally the SL Drive) for rhythm distorted parts, with the Origin set to med power: the thing I've tried was to place an EP booster in the loop for solo boost (originally at the beginning of the chain) and take the line out to go into an Arion Chorus and a Flashback delay, into a DI and into the PA to do a sort of wet/dry rig without a second amp.
My thoughts: the Timmy is excellent with the Origin for its transparency and adds enough juice to the amp to have lot of fun with, while the Exotic SL Drive was too muddy even with gain @ 0 (vol maxed) and added too much of its character that often disappointed me.
Sending the line out to the wet effects and to the PA leaves the signal so clear that I've received compliments for the tone both from guitar players and from "normal" audience.
Really recommend the Timmy with this amp! Then, the EP booster in the loop adds nice body and thickness to the solos that I think I'll stay with this setup for a long time. No videos, but the tone I was looking for was to mimic my '78 2203 (gains but not heavy as hell) and I was really, really happy with the results, so much that I was originally thinking about trading the Origin for an SC20H, but I'm definitely gonna stick with it

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I've decided to trade the Xotic SL Drive, which I was using as main distortion with my Origin 20H (paired with a 1x12 G12M 65 creamback), in favor of an Mxr Timmy spotted in a local store; right after I went to rock gig in a small club.
The guitar goes into a whammy5>polytune>Mooer Yellow Comp>Zvex SHO (always on with the knob @ noon)>Timmy (originally the SL Drive) for rhythm distorted parts, with the Origin set to med power: the thing I've tried was to place an EP booster in the loop for solo boost (originally at the beginning of the chain) and take the line out to go into an Arion Chorus and a Flashback delay, into a DI and into the PA to do a sort of wet/dry rig without a second amp.
My thoughts: the Timmy is excellent with the Origin for its transparency and adds enough juice to the amp to have lot of fun with, while the Exotic SL Drive was too muddy even with gain @ 0 (vol maxed) and added too much of its character that often disappointed me.
Sending the line out to the wet effects and to the PA leaves the signal so clear that I've received compliments for the tone both from guitar players and from "normal" audience.
Really recommend the Timmy with this amp! Then, the EP booster in the loop adds nice body and thickness to the solos that I think I'll stay with this setup for a long time. No videos, but the tone I was looking for was to mimic my '78 2203 (gains but not heavy as hell) and I was really, really happy with the results, so much that I was originally thinking about trading the Origin for an SC20H, but I'm definitely gonna stick with it
Congratulations sounds like you have a winner..
I too love my Origin for what it does.

Cheers
Mitch

tonycaster

Reaction score
thanks Mitch! Definitely a winner, the only complain is that at full power the body of the tone becomes a lot better, but unfortunately indoor venues here are too small to push the amp at its best. The couple Origin/Mxr Timmy is great anyway

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks Mitch! Definitely a winner, the only complain is that at full power the body of the tone becomes a lot better, but unfortunately indoor venues here are too small to push the amp at its best. The couple Origin/Mxr Timmy is great anyway
They do their best when they can breathe.. and as of late I have been playing mine on mid power quite a bit..

Cheers brother
Mitch

Dave J

Reaction score
Have thought about adding an Origin to the stable. Is the 20 about as loud as a DSL 40 in 20 watt / half power mode? Just wondering the old question about it being able to keep up with a drummer, etc. I think I'd want a head version and either use my oversized 1x12 Mesa cab or score a 2x12 closed back.

C-Grin

Reaction score
Have thought about adding an Origin to the stable. Is the 20 about as loud as a DSL 40 in 20 watt / half power mode? Just wondering the old question about it being able to keep up with a drummer, etc. I think I'd want a head version and either use my oversized 1x12 Mesa cab or score a 2x12 closed back.
Some drummers only know how to hit things as hard as they can, then maybe not quite enough. But if your drummer has any control at all then yes.

C-Grin

Reaction score
I have the mini Timmy and like it a lot , I like my OCD with my Ori20 also. I have been eyeing the EP booster also, good to know it it works well with the amp.

tonycaster

Reaction score
@Dave J Dunno about the DLS, I can tell you that my drummer is seriously loud especially on the snare and the Ori in half power hardly holds it into indoor small venues. I'm used to mic the cab and the problem is solved, if I need more I just flick the switch to full power and I'm done. In outdoors is always in full power and shows its muscles even with the hardest drummer

@C-Grin the EP in the loop sounds great to me as solo boost when both power and preamp section aren't pushed over the top, let's say Master @5-6 as well as gain: this way it gives you body and thickness and a slight volume boost. Moreover, with the footswitch you can engage the pedal leaving it always on, which I find it super comfy having a small and messy pedalboard.

@ricksdisconnected I've heard about the mod, but first off when purchasing the amp I felt the need to change both power and preamp tubes; then, adding the right pedals, the amp becomes one of the most versatile tone tools ever for a few hundred bucks, from pristine cleans to heavy metal distortion. I use the guitar volume a lot though.
I'm not a metal guy anymore, but I play with a modern hard rock band live with the origin, I can tell you that I'm reaching every nuance of distortion I need with my pedals without modding it. FWIW I have a 2203 as a term of comparison which IMHO is an unbeatable tone machine for everything except jazz (for my taste), and I can come very close to it with the Ori

tonycaster

Reaction score
They do their best when they can breathe.. and as of late I have been playing mine on mid power quite a bit..

Cheers brother
Mitch
totally agree, the tubes need to be pushed, although I find that with pedals the Ori tends to mud things a bit when pushed too hard especially on the preamp section, even more with the boost on, do you agree?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
@Dave J Dunno about the DLS, I can tell you that my drummer is seriously loud especially on the snare and the Ori in half power hardly holds it into indoor small venues. I'm used to mic the cab and the problem is solved, if I need more I just flick the switch to full power and I'm done. In outdoors is always in full power and shows its muscles even with the hardest drummer

@C-Grin the EP in the loop sounds great to me as solo boost when both power and preamp section aren't pushed over the top, let's say Master @5-6 as well as gain: this way it gives you body and thickness and a slight volume boost. Moreover, with the footswitch you can engage the pedal leaving it always on, which I find it super comfy having a small and messy pedalboard.

@ricksdisconnected I've heard about the mod, but first off when purchasing the amp I felt the need to change both power and preamp tubes; then, adding the right pedals, the amp becomes one of the most versatile tone tools ever for a few hundred bucks, from pristine cleans to heavy metal distortion. I use the guitar volume a lot though.
I'm not a metal guy anymore, but I play with a modern hard rock band live with the origin, I can tell you that I'm reaching every nuance of distortion I need with my pedals without modding it. FWIW I have a 2203 as a term of comparison which IMHO is an unbeatable tone machine for everything except jazz (for my taste), and I can come very close to it with the Ori
i got you. you need to hear that mod if anybody here knows where to find it on youboob.
it really brings that amp to life and w/o pedals and iirc at much lower volumes.
hate to say it but not many marshall's have caught my attention in about a decade or more.
just so many other amp companies doing what marshall should have but hasnt or cant.
i believe the last one to do so was the class5 but it needs to be cranked to its max to do so.
for my desires the 20h here was the best thing marshall has had in a long time but still
lacked what i would want until i heard it with the mod. from mild to wild. its worth a look
you might like it.

tonycaster

Reaction score
i got you. you need to hear that mod if anybody here knows where to find it on youboob.
it really brings that amp to life and w/o pedals and iirc at much lower volumes.
hate to say it but not many marshall's have caught my attention in about a decade or more.
just so many other amp companies doing what marshall should have but hasnt or cant.
i believe the last one to do so was the class5 but it needs to be cranked to its max to do so.
for my desires the 20h here was the best thing marshall has had in a long time but still
lacked what i would want until i heard it with the mod. from mild to wild. its worth a look
you might like it.
@ricksdisconnected I trust you, do you know what my real problem is? not having a good technician around nor having enough skills to do it myself!! :)

Lefty68

Reaction score
totally agree, the tubes need to be pushed, although I find that with pedals the Ori tends to mud things a bit when pushed too hard especially on the preamp section, even more with the boost on, do you agree?
+1- definitely a sweet spot on the pre (2 o'clock) IME...a peg or two higher takes it from "on the edge" to "in the muck".

EC Strat

Reaction score
I’m telling you the Origin punches above it’s weight if you know how to use one. Needs pedals and a boost - it’s a fantastic clean platform. Comes oh so close to a JTM 45 They are surprisingly good. Had a 50 watter head and it was really good.