Marshall Origin Opinions?

• Thread starter ledvedder
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
its a good cab , it is all wood and it..well..it breathes or something,,its a very organic cab....its responsive ? prob lost my mind again...but have a bunch of cabs and some just seem lively
On a positive note it’s cool to find cabs that sound great, I am going to stick to my mg cabs for space and heft at moving them around, and I do feel that once loaded with the speakers of my preference that they will sound good, plus I intend to add the white piping! Cheers

Rod

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run my Origin 50 clean running 4 different Lovepedals with boosts and it sounds unbelievable at most any volume,, I also run Reverb and Delay in the front and it’s amazing cause the amp has lots of sweet headroom
This is the first new Marshall I’ve owned since I had a Haze 40 8 years ago..I sold the Haze off after 2 years. What a pos.... love the Origin... Marshall got it right this time

Rod

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
hope the setup works for you. i am in a non-pedal phase at the moment, only thing i got in the chain is a tuner. i do have a boss od-1 with the small chip which i love and just did the upgrade of the caps and changed out the electrolytics. the od-1 sounds ok with the origin but not spectacular.
try a few Lovepedals...they are in a different leaugue than anything Boss has ever made....sign up for their SNS SALE. GET ON THEIR MAILING LIST.MANY PEDALS THEY SELL FOR $50.when they do their sale..usually every 6 weeks or so..the double pedals with boosts are more but worth it

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Question. I haven't seen a clear answer on how to bias the Origin amps. They do not have bias points on chassis like a DSL?

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
So far; like mine alot. Bought another one to run 'em in stereo with an HX Stomp.

Pair of 50h on top of a 1960 4x12 toggled to stereo. Direct outs to PA for recording..

The 3 different power soak modes are AWESOME for "room volume". Not gigging; jamming/recording in drummers basement.

Also; small detail; but the master volume occurs after the fx loop return in the circuit; as opposed to direct tap into wide open power amp. Also makes working fx loop stuff a breeze; can mute loop with foot switch.

Mostly using HSS strat; some with a PRS semi hollow S2 and a solidbody PRS C24.

Looking forward to working on my board tomorrow! Got some little switch things to work in for HX Stomp control...

The Origins sound stellar in stereo; or mono; or wet/dry. Really, really easy to dial in and make sound good and make you want to play. Loud...

For what it's worth; this drive stack is epic; and it's last three pedals on my board before the Origin:

(All 3 powered at 18v)
Dirty Shirley > OCD > Timmy

Last edited:

NoelH

Reaction score
Tell me about the Marshall Origin amps. I've been reading very conflicting reviews. I currently have a DSL and a Ceriatone Chupacabra. I'm wanting something with a different feel and tone for lower gain and classic rock/bluesy stuff.
Interestingly, I recently sold a Ceriatone AFD 35 50, and bought a DSL 50 Head, put a Classictone Choke in it, and I couldn't be happier. And it came with Winged -C-'s with low hours on 'em! And a few bucks left over for another project.

Anyway, I played an Origin 50 at GC recently. Honestly, I was a little underwhelmed. I plugged an overdrive (a Boss SD-1 I think) in front of it, and liked it, but didn't love it. I don't know, maybe with the right pedal in front. It didn't have much gain to it on its own. And notes didn't sustain well without the pedal in front. At least that was my experience.
If I were ever to go back to being a straight up blues guy, I'd probably go for something like a Fender Super Reverb. You could get a Blackface reissue, put a MV in it (I started on a '64 BF SR with MV installed), and do Johnny Winter all night. Just my 2c. Origin could probably do that as well. YMMV

Cadorman

Reaction score
Question. I haven't seen a clear answer on how to bias the Origin amps. They do not have bias points on chassis like a DSL?
Look at my post on the last page of the origin 50 thread. Only the 50 models get biased. There is a bias pot in them and you measure ma at CN32 on the board. Look at my picture there. The lower wattage models do not require biasing.

Cadorman

Reaction score
I have an Ori50h that is about four months old. It is a really nice amp. It is currently unhooked as I am using a 1990 JCM900 MKIII 2100 that does clean just as well by rolling back the guitar volume and doesn't need a pedal to get any level of crunch. Don't think I will swap them out anytime soon.

Melodyman

Reaction score
I wish there was a way to change the middle power seting (i believe its 10 watts) to maybe 20 Watts? Makes more sense to have had it at 50, 20 and 10. I gues they felt if they gave us the 20w setting it interfere with sales of the 20w models.. but the 10w setting is just a bit too drastic a reduction from the 50w. Needed something in the middle. Is there any way this can be modded?

Msharky67

Reaction score
I wish there was a way to change the middle power seting (i believe its 10 watts) to maybe 20 Watts? Makes more sense to have had it at 50, 20 and 10. I gues they felt if they gave us the 20w setting it interfere with sales of the 20w models.. but the 10w setting is just a bit too drastic a reduction from the 50w. Needed something in the middle. Is there any way this can be modded?

You could put a PPIMV in it. It would cut the volume down in between. Or get one of those little volume boxes for the FX loop. Which I plan to do. I like my 20h but it needs to be turned up past 12 oclock to sound good. I hope that switch helps. I like the amp but don't love it. The SV20 was my other choice but I couldn't see shelling out another $1200 plus more for some attenuator. It should have had the PPIMV installed already for that price. The Origin has good features and layout. I am still in the honeymoon phase. Much better than my Haze 40 though.

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score

It's weird, I've just had a practice with the 20 watter, 2 other guitars and fairly loud drums....
I was on the mid setting, which is something like 3 watts, and it was ok, I was straining to hear myself sometimes (usually have just a bassist and me) but the 20w setting would have been over the top and too loud.

Tbh though, I think a few other factors were in play today-

- My cab was on the floor, didn't sound as bright, or as loud as when I normally levitate it up a bit, on top of something else or on a chair.. I think the others heard me more than I heard myself.

- I tried a couple of cabs, mines a 2x12 open back w/ Greenbacks, I tried a 90s 1960b 4x12, and a 1x12.

Weirdly, I found my 2x12 to be the loudest, the 1x12 equal, and the 4x12 the quietest, and I think it's the speakers and impedance
The 1x12 is open back with a g12-t, 8 ohm, it gets the most power, and has it all to itself. Though the small enclosure made it sound small and boxey.
The 2x12 is 16 ohm and has to share it between 2, but are more efficient speakers. It was brighter, bigger and more honest sounding. If I played shite there's no covering it up. Clean sounding.
The 4x12, 16 ohm, is g12-t 75s, so has to share it between 4 less efficient speakers, and it's closed back, so there's nothing coming out the back hitting the wall. This sounded less bright, more compressed, like it was gainier, but completely dissapeared when the other guys played.

They had a Boss Katana and a Blackstar ID:Core, at 50w(switched down to 20w) and 60w respectfully.

All in all, I'm happy with the performance of my rig, I think I held them off with the Greeny 2x12, on the 3 watt setting... and though they may have been holding some back due to the room.... they'd have struggled against me if I'd have gone to the 20w setting... unless they're packing 100w or more, plastic amps still don't scare my low wattage valve amps...

Hell for shits and giggles I plugged in my 2 watt 5e3, and it was loud enough for that little practice room...

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
You could put a PPIMV in it. It would cut the volume down in between. Or get one of those little volume boxes for the FX loop. Which I plan to do. I like my 20h but it needs to be turned up past 12 oclock to sound good. I hope that switch helps. I like the amp but don't love it. The SV20 was my other choice but I couldn't see shelling out another $1200 plus more for some attenuator. It should have had the PPIMV installed already for that price. The Origin has good features and layout. I am still in the honeymoon phase. Much better than my Haze 40 though.

Yes, a PPIMV would definitely be a big help I think.
The master in the Origin is pre phase inverter, meaning it just brings the level of the first 2 valves down, those first 2 valves aren't cascaded (another popular mod on vintage Marshalls) so there's not much gain to be had with it below a certain point...

Are people happy to accept that you've got to turn the Studio Vintage up past a certain point to get the gain, but not happy that you need to do the same with the Origin??
Forget the master is even called that, it's a gain knob....

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Yes, a PPIMV would definitely be a big help I think.
The master in the Origin is pre phase inverter, meaning it just brings the level of the first 2 valves down, those first 2 valves aren't cascaded (another popular mod on vintage Marshalls) so there's not much gain to be had with it below a certain point...

Are people happy to accept that you've got to turn the Studio Vintage up past a certain point to get the gain, but not happy that you need to do the same with the Origin??
Forget the master is even called that, it's a gain knob....

IDK...I use mine in 50W mode all the time and get a really nice tone at low volumes. If I want more breakup, I hit a pedal...simple, done

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
IDK...I use mine in 50W mode all the time and get a really nice tone at low volumes. If I want more breakup, I hit a pedal...simple, done

Well I do too, I think a lot of people want saturation, compression and high gain at lower volumes, and they want it just from the amp, and if they can't get it like that they dismiss it...

I'm rather enjoying my pedal collection, and the pursuit of the tones.... :)

Maybe the DSL would work better for those who don't want to use pedals, but I do so... I like this one!!

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
If I record a clip, with my iPhone I put it on the low power setting (50H) and volume needs to be at 3-4, gain boost on, (gain at 7)and I typically have a SD1, set as a clean boost, and for more tone shaping the mxr 10 band eq, all in front of the amp, this amp has for the time being stopped the gas for a 1987xl! Cheers Mitch

Msharky67

Reaction score
I am going to buy or make one of those volume boxes this week. I know we could put a PPIMV in the Origin too but its kind of too much to have to do. It doesn't need much. The SV you would have to right off to be able to use it. I am hoping the box will work enough. I think I will like the Origin once I get to use it. I have thought over and over about returning it and saving for the SV but I just can't feel good about it spending that much again. The Origin is really like the perfect Plexi the way it is laid out. I should just be happy but I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling as I did with the Jubilee. Some thing else noboby has talked about is the difference in the PC boards. I know my 2204 had a partial hand wired PC board where as the new mini's have a straight PC board. I wonder if this is a difference. Cheaper components. I think purists would argue about this. I always wanted a 1987X but it was too loud and too much. My Bugera 1960 does this well. Probably the last amp I will be buying for a while too. I know I said it!

Robus

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting the SV as soon asxthey are back in stock for use in the home studio. No MV or attenuator. Mic the cab in a separate room. Why don't more people do this?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to buy or make one of those volume boxes this week. I know we could put a PPIMV in the Origin too but its kind of too much to have to do. It doesn't need much. The SV you would have to right off to be able to use it. I am hoping the box will work enough. I think I will like the Origin once I get to use it. I have thought over and over about returning it and saving for the SV but I just can't feel good about it spending that much again. The Origin is really like the perfect Plexi the way it is laid out. I should just be happy but I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling as I did with the Jubilee. Some thing else noboby has talked about is the difference in the PC boards. I know my 2204 had a partial hand wired PC board where as the new mini's have a straight PC board. I wonder if this is a difference. Cheaper components. I think purists would argue about this. I always wanted a 1987X but it was too loud and too much. My Bugera 1960 does this well. Probably the last amp I will be buying for a while too. I know I said it!
Not real sure on the type of music you are playing brother, but you do need to get a bit of time on the origin to find its magic, myself I am in the late 70’s Priest, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy, UFO, camp, and AC/DC, the origin nails all of this with just a mxr 10 band eq, and a SD1 set as a clean boost! Cheers to getting it in your favor! Mitch

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score

Do you mean to put in the fx loop? Because the loop is before the master on the origin, so it wouldn't really do anything different I don't think...

The Bugera 1960 is a indeed a great amp, a great take on a (rather well and truly) modded 1959.... Though for me that meant all the trimmings that come with a vintage 60s, 100 watt Marshall Plexi 1959.... Big ass transformers, earth quaking volume, and more than I bench in weight (I don't really bench, but I sure as hell ain't lugging that sucker across the car park, across a road, up a couple flights of stairs, across a teeny tiny room, onto a tiny little stage and trying to then lift it up onto a 4x12.... or 2x12.... or lift it up anywhere... )
It just wasn't practical for me... So, I'm happy with the Ori20 :)