Marshall Origin Opinions?

• Thread starter ledvedder
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shupe13

Reaction score
I'm absolutely loving my Origin 20. I love it for it's not over the top tone. That said, if I wanted to push it into JCM territory, what would be the best pedal to do so?

Affordable...

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm absolutely loving my Origin 20. I love it for it's not over the top tone. That said, if I wanted to push it into JCM territory, what would be the best pedal to do so?

Affordable...
I use an SD1, but the other option is (and I use it as well) the mxr 10 band eq, puts the origin in another league! Cheers Mitch

shupe13

Reaction score
Congratulations brother have you had a chance to dial it in yet? And if you have how do ya like it? Cheers Mitch
I put the level at 10,
Congratulations brother have you had a chance to dial it in yet? And if you have how do ya like it? Cheers Mitch
I've set the level at 10 o'clock, tone at 8 o'clock and the drive at 3. I'm still feeling the amp out and I'm dialling in my pickups still. I plan to crank the drive tomorrow and see how it goes. Really appreciate your suggestion.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I put the level at 10,

I've set the level at 10 o'clock, tone at 8 o'clock and the drive at 3. I'm still feeling the amp out and I'm dialling in my pickups still. I plan to crank the drive tomorrow and see how it goes. Really appreciate your suggestion.
[url=https://postimg.cc/YhJ343H4]bo gas station near me[/URL] Here is the way I have been setting mine bro, on the amp I have been going with presence 10, treble 8, mids 8, bass 5, tilt 6, gain 7-8, master at 3- 6, and normally on low power, with no drummer, full power with drummer, and in the clip the mosfet is set to the clean channel! Cheers Mitch

shupe13

Reaction score
bo gas station near me Here is the way I have been setting mine bro, on the amp I have been going with presence 10, treble 8, mids 8, bass 5, tilt 6, gain 7-8, master at 3- 6, and normally on low power, with no drummer, full power with drummer, and in the clip the mosfet is set to the clean channel! Cheers Mitch
I'll give it a whirl tomorrow. Thanks man.

Msharky67

Reaction score
Ok so after a free weekend of trying the 20h out here are my thoughts. It is a good amp with sensible features. No its not a high gain amp. I know a lot of people expected it to be. It can get there with the right pedal but on its own its not. I kind of feel its like a left/right curve. It can sound good with low gain and low volume and it can sound good with higher gain (as much as the Origin has) and higher volume. Kind of too loud even on .5. still. I am not sure an attenuator would help or work. It does take pedals well especially the SD-1 (Thanks Mitch) and my DS-1 copy. I was disappointed with the tube screamer. I expected more out of it. Its not enough. I think some pedals are better than others. The loop is good and effects sound great with it. Overall I don't love the amp but I don't hate it either. For $450 its a keeper for now but may be trade bait down the road. I know the mini plexi was my other choice and I see people comparing them. I can't afford that much plus attenuator too. I think they are both good models but they each have there own pros and cons. I think the Origin is more closer to the Class 5 which few people have mentioned about. I love my 2525h but this one is OK. It doesn't really do a lot different than what else I have already. If I payed full price I probably would have returned it and just be happy with what I have. I was always an 800 freak but those are limited too. I have learned a lot the past couple months and my perspective on gear. I would probably never buy a 50 watt head again. I don't need it. As far as the future holds we will have to see. There is no real bedroom line of amps even though we all wish and hope for. Its just never going to happen that way.

BftGibson

Reaction score
Ok so after a free weekend of trying the 20h out here are my thoughts. It is a good amp with sensible features. No its not a high gain amp. I know a lot of people expected it to be. It can get there with the right pedal but on its own its not. I kind of feel its like a left/right curve. It can sound good with low gain and low volume and it can sound good with higher gain (as much as the Origin has) and higher volume. Kind of too loud even on .5. still. I am not sure an attenuator would help or work. It does take pedals well especially the SD-1 (Thanks Mitch) and my DS-1 copy. I was disappointed with the tube screamer. I expected more out of it. Its not enough. I think some pedals are better than others. The loop is good and effects sound great with it. Overall I don't love the amp but I don't hate it either. For $450 its a keeper for now but may be trade bait down the road. I know the mini plexi was my other choice and I see people comparing them. I can't afford that much plus attenuator too. I think they are both good models but they each have there own pros and cons. I think the Origin is more closer to the Class 5 which few people have mentioned about. I love my 2525h but this one is OK. It doesn't really do a lot different than what else I have already. If I payed full price I probably would have returned it and just be happy with what I have. I was always an 800 freak but those are limited too. I have learned a lot the past couple months and my perspective on gear. I would probably never buy a 50 watt head again. I don't need it. As far as the future holds we will have to see. There is no real bedroom line of amps even though we all wish and hope for. Its just never going to happen that way.
on a friendly reply to bedroom amp..i have 3 4 holer 50 watters & i could care less about bedroom levels..BUT..the Trainwreck 3 PPIMV works on em all..i can play them lower than any amp i ever had(DSL100h also) but they are all modded by my tech..i can sit in front of 4x12 and it sounds amazing & listen to a TV at same time..without wanting them to be..they are bedroom amps...

MarshallDog

Reaction score

Soooo...in a perfect world with any endless combinations of features and amps where anything is possible, what would be your "perfect" amp?

Also, try a FullTone OCD or the Xotic RC Booster Ver 2 pedal. Two of the best IMO.

Msharky67

Reaction score
Yes I was going to look at the OCD. The SV20 is probably close as the SC20 but the SV20 should have had the PPIMV already installed for that price. Foot switchable 800 with extra gain. That's why I got the 2525h. It pretty much is perfect like this. Why can't Marshall make these plexi's and 800 in vietnam for less as they did with the DSL's. They can do it with others too. No reason to gouge us for these. They wouldn't have needed the Origin series and sold triple what they are now at $1299. I know people are buying them up!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I was going to look at the OCD. The SV20 is probably close as the SC20 but the SV20 should have had the PPIMV already installed for that price. Foot switchable 800 with extra gain. That's why I got the 2525h. It pretty much is perfect like this. Why can't Marshall make these plexi's and 800 in vietnam for less as they did with the DSL's. They can do it with others too. No reason to gouge us for these. They wouldn't have needed the Origin series and sold triple what they are now at $1299. I know people are buying them up!
Please don’t dismiss the origin so fast bro, you really need to play it a bit and then you will see it’s magic, I did not fall in love with this amp in just a couple of weeks, I spent a bit of time playing/listening and it just started to jive with everything I through at it! My two cents! Cheers Mitch