Marshall Origin Series Amplifiers

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
the tone much different from the Affinity to the MIM?
Just a bit the MIM has the jbjr in the bridge, and a hot rails in the neck, with the tone lab I can get trowerish tones, and I think it rings a bit clearer, but my D tuned hot rod the yellow one is just a beast, so my opinion is that they are all 3 good for different things, I sold the only American strat I bought at the end of 83 , but I had modified it as well

Last edited:

Dan Zinca

Reaction score
So you didn't like the Goldsmith? Not much reviews or vids on that one besides Pete Thorn's and he can make anything sound good and it did caught my attention but not enough yet to pull the trigger. The Drive Train is discontinued and cheap I see. Still have a few candidates in mind. I also have a Vox AC10c and so far my TOD seems to work best with it thought the amp is finicky with drive pedals
Tomorrow I'll get the Goldsmith and I'll see how it matches the Origin. Yes, Visual Sound Drivetrain is no longer manufactured, but you can also find a Reverend Drivetrain that is the same schematic. With the Vox AC10 C1 the best was Timmy and especially the BB Preamp, for my taste.

Last edited:

whitecloud

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'll get the Goldsmith and I'll see how it matches the Origin. Yes, Visual Sound Drivetrain is no longer manufactured, but you can also find a Reverend Drivetrain that is the same schematic. With the Vox AC10 C1 the best was Timmy and especially the BB Preamp, for my taste.
Cool, let me know your impressions of the Goldsmith. How's the BB Preamp with the Origin? You say you like it with the AC10. Yeah before I knew V1 of the Dano TOD was a Timmy clone I bought it and still have it after all these years and for now best I have for the Vox, but always still trying to get that 5% more ;) Back to the Origin the main deal for me is two fold. 1.Just trying to find the best pedal to bump the amp already with some hair on it so I don't need to have it so loud. Usually on medium power and we are not talking bedroom levels. Like to retain as much of the amps base tone. I suppose if a pedal could go beyond that and it sounded great as well, wouldn't complain. 2. I have a Suhr Reactive load box that go into cab/mic IR's for recording so can be on high power and drive the amp pretty good so something that fine tunes things or gets a it really screaming. Been researching Treble Boosters for that task so hope if I go that route, I pick the appropriate one for my needs.

Dan Zinca

Reaction score
Cool, let me know your impressions of the Goldsmith. How's the BB Preamp with the Origin? You say you like it with the AC10. Yeah before I knew V1 of the Dano TOD was a Timmy clone I bought it and still have it after all these years and for now best I have for the Vox, but always still trying to get that 5% more ;) Back to the Origin the main deal for me is two fold. 1.Just trying to find the best pedal to bump the amp already with some hair on it so I don't need to have it so loud. Usually on medium power and we are not talking bedroom levels. Like to retain as much of the amps base tone. I suppose if a pedal could go beyond that and it sounded great as well, wouldn't complain. 2. I have a Suhr Reactive load box that go into cab/mic IR's for recording so can be on high power and drive the amp pretty good so something that fine tunes things or gets a it really screaming. Been researching Treble Boosters for that task so hope if I go that route, I pick the appropriate one for my needs.
With Origin I like Drivetrain more than BB preamp. I live in an apartment building, so I can use the amplifier only at the bedroom level. Probably I'll buy a power attenuator in the future. I have a cheap one, but it changes the tone too much and I do not like it, so I prefer the drive pedals. I hope I will like the Goldsmith :)

jericbrazier

Reaction score
New here! I'm torn between getting a dsl100hr or the ORI50h I use pedals for all my effects so not having reverb isn't an issue. Just need some help deciding. I play in a pop punk band similar to ( face to face, blink, alkaline Trio, Jimmy eat world, etc..) but when im not with the band I like playing classic rock (zeppelin, AC/DC, Boston) Also love the Darkness!
Thanks in advance!
DSL! The Origin won’t get you anywhere close to those tones without using a pedal to get distortion and sustain. Think of the Origin as a clean (low distortion) amp.

whitecloud

Reaction score
I think that the Greenbacks starts to breakup faster then the V-Speaker, i can´t understand why they didn´t put them in at the first place. (price maybe)

I have just tested with a telecaster, master at 6 and gain on 6, in 0,3 watts mode it is very friendly volume (bedroom)
And with a Gibson LP, master at 7 and gain on 3 and thats low volume :)

https://celestion.com/product/31/g10_greenback/

Price around 100Usd, well spent money

I can attest that the Greenback, at least the 12" breaks up faster than 12" V-Types. Last week with the addition of my Avatar 1x12 with Greenback I a/b'd back and forth between it and my BB 1x12 with V-Types and yes quicker breakup. Not going to diss the V-Type or the Fender BB 2x12 as it does sound great but for now mated with a different amp so all is well

whitecloud

Reaction score
Or maybe not ;-)
I hear replacing the stock 10" in the O20c is a PITA. Ask @ken361 I replaced the 12" a couple times in my DSL40c and wasn't concerned about voiding the warranty but here again pretty easy task and none the wiser. A Marshall Tech would have to use a looking glass to spot any "irregularities" and be a hard nose to cry foul Me thinks

whitecloud

Reaction score
Hey you guys with bridge single coils one fix I've done is move the tone cap so it affects that pup. You got two tone pots and one volume. Seems silly the standard config doesn't address that. Not really needing that capacitor for the middle pickup. When I am not being lazy going to redo the whole wiring with so no load pots and a blender that can allow the neck and bridge active like middle position on a Tele. Still have all the other selector options and enough to quack about.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an excellent idea, there must be a few people who have preformed this task, I have always set my strats up like the early 80’s charvels with only a volume pot for the bridge pick up :coffee:

whitecloud

Reaction score
Here is the wiring diagram I mentioned above

switch positions are standard strat
1. bridge
2. bridge + middle
3. middle
4. middle + neck
5. neck
master volume, master no-load tone, neck blender
the neck blender pot allows adding the neck pickup to the bridge or the bridge/middle.

ddailey

Reaction score
does anyone know if the Origin 50 is fixed bias or cathode?

whitecloud

Reaction score
With Origin I like Drivetrain more than BB preamp. I live in an apartment building, so I can use the amplifier only at the bedroom level. Probably I'll buy a power attenuator in the future. I have a cheap one, but it changes the tone too much and I do not like it, so I prefer the drive pedals. I hope I will like the Goldsmith :)
Did you ever get the Goldsmith? If so impressions? I think for you it may just be a matter of the right OD pedal vs an attenuator. I've toyed with the idea of getting a attenuator for quite a long time and several amp ago etc. and it always seems to come down to how much they affect the tone(in a bad way) and even the spendy ones not all that transparent past the first few clicks. Also factor in the shorter tube life. I only use my Suhr Reactive load for recording and each session not very long. So back to the pedals I have a few I am scoping out and can share intel. I can go a bit louder than bedroom and sometimes up to say 95 db's. heck at even 85 starts pushing some air. If I want a more compressed tone might as well use my DSL40c at lower volumes. Trick with the Origin is to find that sweet spot. I like medium power as low degrades tone too much and high can get loud yet have a bit less gain.

whitecloud

Reaction score
I prefer my 50h in full power, but my clips are in low power, because my only means of recording is my damn phone :( but this amp is getting me the goods :band:
How about setting the phone further away and perhaps just for audio's sake. Many just have a picture as the video element of the vid. This way don't have to worry about what anyone sees they are mainly focused on the tones. Try Medium power and work up top full if the phone isn't overloading