• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall Price Drop in US

• Thread starter ByrdmanFL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarsmasher

Reaction score
As with any Hobbie, thinking I could just buy the 800, now I've bought another autenuator, and brown box... Need to start selling things to support my recurring habbit...
I also just picked up the Two Notes Torpedo Captor 16, 100w Load Box/Attenuator/Speaker Sim/Amp DI

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Hopefully we will see another round of price reductions, includeing speaker cabinets this time.
$1000 is still pricey for a new 1960 cabinet, when there are plenty of used cabs available, on the secondary markets.
These lower amp head prices have generated a sudden increase of new amp owners who are, or will be wanting new speaker cabs too.
A reduction of new cab prices, would help prevent these new amp owners from buying used cabs elsewhere.
Hopefully, Marshall is not done with the price reductions .... yet.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Yeah ,
I hear that.
I'd like to see the prices go a tad lower, but I doubt theyv will. I wish the true plywood unloaded cabs were affordable, easily obtainable,without ridiculous shipping costs, or getting them in damaged from shipping. Then just loading them with whatever I want. But $600 for an empty cab is no go for me personally.
Unfortunately the used sellers think their cabs are worth $1000 for a 412 too,because new ones cost that. Some ,may be worth that,but I totally shy away from a used 412 over $600. Even that's a crap shoot with what condition the speakers are truly in when you get them home. Sellers of cabs on places like CL still don't understand to list the speaker that's actually in the cab they're selling,and whatnots made from. Almost like they're trying to hide it. Or say IDK. Is it that hard to take out 16 screws for a photo, or the handle for a quick peek? I see a 23 year old stack A/B locally for $2000. Not even close to great or mint condition,and the seller won't budge. I know the speakers are China at that point(year of manufacturing). People today want full retail or double full retail for 20 year old cabs? They wonder why they stay listed for 2 years.
Plenty of used cabs available at less than $600.
Always has been!
They just dont last long, because people are out there snatching up, as fast as they become available!
Just 2 days ago I watched a decent looking 1960B show up online at a Guitar Center in Missouri, and shipping seemed fair enough.
They priced it at $499 and the tolex and grill cloth were very nice looking!
I immediantly called them, and asked about which speakers it had inside.
They did not know what speakers were inside, and they were not very enthusiastic about opening it up to find out either, so I hesitated....
Im not a gambler.
36 hours latter it was sold!
There will be plenty more!

Keysdweller

Reaction score
Yeah ,
I hear that.
I'd like to see the prices go a tad lower, but I doubt theyv will. I wish the true plywood unloaded cabs were affordable, easily obtainable,without ridiculous shipping costs, or getting them in damaged from shipping. Then just loading them with whatever I want. But $600 for an empty cab is no go for me personally.
Unfortunately the used sellers think their cabs are worth $1000 for a 412 too,because new ones cost that. Some ,may be worth that,but I totally shy away from a used 412 over $600. Even that's a crap shoot with what condition the speakers are truly in when you get them home. Sellers of cabs on places like CL still don't understand to list the speaker that's actually in the cab they're selling,and whatnots made from. Almost like they're trying to hide it. Or say IDK. Is it that hard to take out 16 screws for a photo, or the handle for a quick peek? I see a 23 year old stack A/B locally for $2000. Not even close to great or mint condition,and the seller won't budge. I know the speakers are China at that point(year of manufacturing). People today want full retail or double full retail for 20 year old cabs? They wonder why they stay listed for 2 years.
And it's not just cabinets. I see used and very used guitars, amps and other equipment for the price of new and even more than new. I had rather have new with warranty and if it is a killer deal, I wouldn't buy without trying.

DBi5

Reaction score
Fair enough, but do you speak German?

The Tausendjähriges Reich or Dee Snider.

Tough Call.

Madison Square Garden...

full

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
And it's not just cabinets. I see used and very used guitars, amps and other equipment for the price of new and even more than new. I had rather have new with warranty and if it is a killer deal, I wouldn't buy without trying.
Its worse now, after this price cut.
Many sellers asking MORE for their used amp head, than we could purchase a brand new one for!
I suppose they simply do not realize it yet.... but will soon!
My fingers are crossed for a second Marshall price cut that includes speaker cabinets this time.

Athana

Reaction score
I doubt it, maybe going to sell more amps, but at a lower profit margin too. We'll have to wait and see though.

Personally, I think that this is the first action of the new distributor here in the states and they probably know that the higher pricing has pushed potential customers to Marshall clones from Freidman's to generic Chinese clones over the years. Plus, it seems the economy here in the US is recovering better than many other countries, so that may play into it as well.
Economy recovering ? Economy collapsing and no sales for most people more likely reason for reductions.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
As sellers,

We all want the best return for our product.
But we have to be realistic too. I don't want used/abused gear for full retail then,nor now. Yes,there's appreciation on some goods,but depreciation is more probable on most.

The used sellers will be humbled if/when prices decrease a bit more. They'll be the ones absorbing their hypothetical loss/return.

There used to be a saying, "Volume,not Mass". More goods sold ,due to more consumers through the door.= more goods sold,due to a slightly lesser pricetag. Slightly less profit for them ,but the product is flying off the shelves. They make their $ either way. Inflated profits are out of control these days.

I agree with this.

>Now it's Mass pricing, and they don't care if you ever come back for more.

When the dust settles, I will still boycott those businesses,even if I need to cut my nose off to spite my face.😶

I disagree with this.
I believe retailers want us coming back for more!
Musical equipment is something musicians purchase often, unlike durable goods such as a refridgerators or washing machines.

Keysdweller

Reaction score
A company cannot stay in business without repeat customers. If customers are not happy with your prices or products, they will not be repeat customers. I have not bought a Marshall amp since my JVM410H eight years ago but with this big price drop, I have purchased over 10K of Marshall amps and cabinets in the last two months and have gotten an even better price than their sale price on all of my orders. Most of it is still on backorder but I'm receiving items every couple of weeks or so. I have been told by salesmen that Marshall is only producing product as the orders come in for now, but I will guess they will eventually build up stock if sales continue to flourish. When buying at these sale prices or below sale prices, I don't have to worry about taking a beating if I decide to sell or trade any of my Marshall equipment in the future. As far as the economy, it is not recovering but getting worse no matter what the government tells you. You can piss on some people's leg and tell them it's raining, and they will believe it. Prices of everyday items like milk, eggs, meat, gasoline and utilities are at all-time highs while most people's salaries have not even come close to keeping up with inflation. Not to mention interest rates at all-time highs. Unless you're rich, most people are living paycheck to paycheck. The reason the United States is not as bad off as other countries is because it is such rich country in the first place, and it can absorb bad times better than many countries. Even so, the United States cannot endure this forever before it hits rock bottom. In the meantime, I will enjoy and play the hell out of my new Marshall equipment and escape in my music.