Marshall Punch!

• Thread starter surface54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

surface54

Reaction score
i gotta ask the pros here.
i have played alot of amps in the past 3 years. but i havent played them all by no stretch.
do another amps really punch quite the same as marshalls?
im not saying dial in a 80s rock tone and punch it, im saying get it set as heavy as you can while still sounding good. and do those amps flat out punch you quite the same way?
i know marshalls arent known for there bass, and i find the mids a little scooped on the lower mids in the first place, but it seems they blend so much good clean signal behind the overdrive sound that it retains mega fullness.
the amp itself tells you when you have overdone the eq or gain. and right before that spot of is the most wonderful thick aggression. every note is spot on clear, actually makes me feel better about playing in general.

things ive heard about the bass aspects:
say a mesa dual rec, amazing chord sustain, but when you palm mute is sounds like it stuffs up into the overdrive and compresses, loosing its note by note cab thumping affect, until you slam a open C and let it ring out, then its a dual rec!
6505 was great the further back you go on the guitar but felt weak and a bit high endy all the time. the higher up the less bass follows as expected but that is not the case with a marshall. it follows very nicely at all spots on the neck. like a picture perfect duplicate each note. they do something special in it. cant describe it any better with my feeble brain.

Frankie

Reaction score
Voxes do, but they're even more in the upper mids than a Marshall. And when I say Vox, I don't mean like those little 2 watter deals. An AC30, AC50, or AC100 will usually make you say, "Jim who?" I had the pleasure of playing a 60's AC100 recently and that thing was downright gnarly. I also own an AC30, and that thing has note clarity and punch like you can't believe.

Old Fenders also give up the goods like a Marshall, but you really gotta get 'em cranking to overdrive. My '74 Super Reverb really busts it out through the 4x10 cabinet, tons more low mids than my Marshalls. The overdrive has a different character, it's more blocky and in your face than the smooth drive you get from a Plexi or something like that.

Frankie

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAXpe6Qmb5M&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - VOX Custom Series AC15C1, AC30C2, AC30C2X Amplifiers- Official Product Introduction[/ame]

Around 3:20 he lets that AC30 rip. They actually drive even more than that, mine can get into classic metal territory.

surface54

Reaction score
Voxes do, but they're even more in the upper mids than a Marshall. And when I say Vox, I don't mean like those little 2 watter deals. An AC30, AC50, or AC100 will usually make you say, "Jim who?" I had the pleasure of playing a 60's AC100 recently and that thing was downright gnarly. I also own an AC30, and that thing has note clarity and punch like you can't believe.

Old Fenders also give up the goods like a Marshall, but you really gotta get 'em cranking to overdrive. My '74 Super Reverb really busts it out through the 4x10 cabinet, tons more low mids than my Marshalls. The overdrive has a different character, it's more blocky and in your face than the smooth drive you get from a Plexi or something like that.

cool!
i did have a 74' deluxe reverb for awhile. that thing was very nice loud, but only got to play it through its combo. before i had my 4x12. i bet it would of been stellar.
never played a vox, now i have ill have it in the back of my mind.

Last edited:

Frankie

Reaction score
When I can't play a Marshall I play a Vox. They're equal in my book. Fenders aren't as good IMO, but they're still good amps. I'm actually fucking with my old Super Reverb right now, it's been pretty neglected.

Sir Crunch A Lot

Reaction score
VHT Deliverance has massive punch. Splawn Quickrods are pretty punchy, but also very stiff and dry sounding IMO. The Deliverance is also dry and stiff, but not as bad as the QR.

krabby5

Reaction score

My 17 year old cousin just bought his first "real" amp..he came home with an AC15 with the Greenback. That thing is fricken awesome. I never knew those Vox's sounded so cool until I tried it out..

Kid definitely has taste..:dude:

surface54

Reaction score
so vox's get right close up to metal, buts its chunk is in lite rock to rock then?
sounds fun to play one honestly.

Ken

Reaction score
Vintage HiWatts. 'Nuff said. They don't have the gain of new Marshalls but they do AC/DC (and Who of course) type stuff. They're stupid expensive though.

Ken

Frankie

Reaction score
so vox's get right close up to metal, buts its chunk is in lite rock to rock then?
sounds fun to play one honestly.

My AC30 will go from country to near metal depending on how you set the knobs and which channel you use. They rule pretty hard for 50's to classic rock though.

Iggy Pop - Search and Destroy
Tom Petty - Last Dance with Mary Jane
and of course most Beatles are all diverse, but classic examples of Vox amps, specifically AC30's.

This guy loves his AC30's too:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X69rIzFQDY]YouTube - Unknown Hinson on today's rock guitarists[/ame]

TwinACStacks

Reaction score

Kent's?

:):) TWIN

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I don't know where this lack of bottom end stuff comes from but I have heard it a lot over the years with marshalls. I currently have a jcm800 2203 and a dsl100. I have also had a tsl100. I play Les pauls with 10-60 or 11-70 for low tunings. For metal my amps with these guitars are brutally heavy. The bottom end will rock your foundation. I defenitely do not run the bass full on the dsl as it has loads available.Unlike some other amps the bottom end is tight, punchy, and crystal clear. It takes a good guitar and then a Marshall will deliver like crazy. Ever play a plexi cranked? It will knock your dick in the dirt!Every Marshall I ever played or own has had loads of bottom end. I found that if the Marshall lacked something it was because of your guitar, and or playing.A good Marshall will crush.

JayCM800

Reaction score
I don't know where this lack of bottom end stuff comes from but I have heard it a lot over the years with marshalls. I currently have a jcm800 2203 and a dsl100. I have also had a tsl100. I play Les pauls with 10-60 or 11-70 for low tunings. For metal my amps with these guitars are brutally heavy. The bottom end will rock your foundation. I defenitely do not run the bass full on the dsl as it has loads available.Unlike some other amps the bottom end is tight, punchy, and crystal clear. It takes a good guitar and then a Marshall will deliver like crazy. Ever play a plexi cranked? It will knock your dick in the dirt!Every Marshall I ever played or own has had loads of bottom end. I found that if the Marshall lacked something it was because of your guitar, and or playing.A good Marshall will crush.
+1
Anybody needs more low end should be playing Bass guitar instead.

surface54

Reaction score
my post wasnt about lack of bottom end. it was were i hear it in a produced record.
mesa have great sustain but the bass seems like it compresses up into the signal.
6505 sounds great on the lower frets but even with KSE you can hear when they go up the neck the bass completely falls out.
Marshalls seem to hit hard in the bass but im not saying i need more by any means. you guys read it wrong.

quiksilver98

Reaction score
Voxes rock! My vox I straight up play hard rock with. jumper the inputs and away you go. Umm that being said my main axe is a high output JEM7v. Im working on a new recording, should be ready today.... ill post it up when its done

quiksilver98

Reaction score
My vox ac30c2 sounds similar to a plexi in overdrive....just sayin

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
orange and Framus.the Framus can do more "modern" styles but, they have that punch. Orange and VOX are the other best bets though.