• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555X no sound problem

• Thread starter Pepperman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pepperman

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a problem with my Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555X.
The symptom is that if I play silent everything is OK and sound is hearable, but if I hit the strings hard with a high dynamic the amp mutes quite right away and no sound is output anymore.
The situation is not self recoverable, but it is solved when I unplug the input (I guess the shorten of the input pin to GND) sound is hearable again.
It is 100% reproducible.
If I input the signal to the return input this issue does not appear.

Can anyone help me on that?

I attached a video of this.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2555x.zip
    882.5 KB · Views: 9

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long has it been doing this? Are you using active pickups or any pedals before the amp’s input?

The best guess I have, based on the info you’ve given so far, is that your input tube has gone bad. Maybe its grid is pulling a bunch of current, building up a negative charge on the input capacitor (assuming the 2555x has one - I think the original 2555 does). This could shut off the tube. Maybe the larger signal triggers this.

Have you tried swapping out preamp tubes?

Pepperman

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply!
I bought this used amp a couple of weeks ago 2nd hand, so unfortunately I dont know whether this was a known issue.
I use several pedals in the normal input, not effect loop, yes! But no active pickup.
Today I tested swapping the preamp tubes, I have 2 new JJ ECC803S gold types and did the following tests.
1. replaced 1st input tube (with metal case) with new JJ ECC803S -> sound cut off happened with large input signal
2. additianally replaced 2nd input tube with new JJ ECC803S -> same thing
3. exchanged third tube with old 2nd tube -> same thing happened (maybe a bit higher input signal needed, raised Micro Amp)

The effect loop consists of several pedals with Micro Amp -> DS1 -> DS2 -> Big Muff -> Ibanez Wah WH10v3 -> Boss CE1

It especially happens with activated WH10v3 which does increase the signal amplitude and also with Micro Amp.

Could it be a bad solder joint, tube socket, or cap?

Thanks for any advice

El Gringo

Reaction score
Try playing straight into the amp in the front with no pedals just your cord plugged into your guitar and amp and see what happens .

Pepperman

Reaction score
I tested it with only the guitar directly connected to the amp and the same thing happens also

PentodeLicious

Reaction score
That is very strange.
AFAIK this amp does not have a mute circuit, that would be my first guess.
We know it is in the preamp section because the return input works fine.
Maybe one of the clipping diodes/leds gone bad?
And then it shorts to ground instead of clipping the signal.
Does this happen in the clean channel without the rhythm clip pulled?

Latest posts