Marshall Studio Vintage VS Studio Classic

• Thread starter tce63
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

steveb63

Reaction score
It certainly is, no problem gas is getting intense, I have only been able to play the vintage at low volume 2’ish, and loved it now I have heard them both, and want them both.
Thanks TC 63. :cool:
:h5: :wallbash:
Uh- huh, I think I've seen this before!

Oh, and yes Mitch, it would look kick-ass on top of those Greenback loaded cabs.

Pics when the blessed event happens lol.:dude::eddie::headbanger::hbang:

Michael Roe

Reaction score
Cool video ! In the first part, it sounds like the mid hump is centered slightly lower in the SV than in the SC, which is the reason why the SC sounds a tad more agressive while the SV is a bit chewier (just as is the case with the bigger siblings). But yeah, they're pretty close.
I'd guess without having had them side to side that the feel a bit different though, because of the parallel vs serial topology, and that they react to variations in attack and guitar controls manipulations (lowering volume, switching pickups) in a different way. Care to confirm ?
Yes, your description would be very accurate from what I have experienced.

'2204'

Reaction score
Great video! All amp demo videos should be as good as that one! Both Marshalls sound superb. Were they both set at 20w for the video? That`s LOUD in 'real life' imho [& 5w is pretty much LOUD as well when the Vol. is cranked!] Great comments too!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All these slight differences,...upper, lower, middle mids, just slightly difference in the mix!!! This one is more aggressive,...this one has a slightly lower mid hump than the other,....bla, bla, bla, bla, bla,

Oh Please,...... most guys here know that once the drums and bass come in,...no one knows the difference!

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
All these slight differences,...upper, lower, middle mids, just slightly difference in the mix!!! This one is more aggressive,...this one has a slightly lower mid hump than the other,....bla, bla, bla, bla, bla,

Oh Please,...... most guys here know that once the drums and bass come in,...no one knows the difference!
Roger that! If they are so close you need to "try" to tell the difference in an A-B comparison, wait until the rest of the band kicks in. Also this was done without touching the tone controls, so I'm guessing either one could be tweaked to the other. However if someone hears another $1300 worth of different tones coming out of "the other one", have at it. I'm pretty sure that's how Jim would have wanted it anyway.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
The biggest difference, IMO, would be the volume at which each amp was played to achieve the "nearly identical" tones. I guarantee you that the SV had to be much louder on the over driven comparisons, which is a very important thing to consider, and wasn't really addressed in the demo.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest difference, IMO, would be the volume at which each amp was played to achieve the "nearly identical" tones. I guarantee you that the SV had to be much louder on the over driven comparisons, which is a very important thing to consider, and wasn't really addressed in the demo.
I am still liking both regardless of volume!
Mitch

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the impression, and I could be wrong here, that this video was simply showing how these two amps could be made to sound very similar.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
This demo isn't all that surprising. I can make my 2525H, DSL20HR and Origin 20H sound similar. It might take a pedal or whatever but i go for the same sound no matter what Marshall i plug into. I would think the SV and SC would be even easier.

I agree with the thought on feel with different Marshalls being the biggest difference.

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
Roger that! If they are so close you need to "try" to tell the difference in an A-B comparison, wait until the rest of the band kicks in.
Again, to a point. As I mentioned earlier, with a good enough PA (and they have improved tremendously in clarity in the last decade or so), nuances show up pretty well actually.

Plus a different focal point in the mids changes the way guitar sits in the mix. Which in the case of the SV isn't an issue, since it's still high-mids heavy enough (that infamous "Marshall roar") that it cuts easily in the mix. I can tell, already did 25-something gigs with mine, and even though my keyboard player insists on using pretty frequency-rich tones, my SV has zero issue cutting through (the DSL had no issue with that either, but the feel and dynamics on the SV are something else entirely).

But lots of Marshall derivatives tend to shift that focal point into the lower mids to make the amp to sound more pleasing and more polished (aka darker and more compressed) on its own, and not sound as "harsh" (which Marshalls can be on their own). Feel easier to play, too, especially at lower volumes. The flipside being, they have a much harder time cutting through a dense mix (which is my main issue with each and every Marshall-derivative I've played or mixed so far).

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I got the impression, and I could be wrong here, that this video was simply showing how these two amps could be made to sound very similar.
Oh, I agree. Just saying that it might have been good to note, for someone watching that video, that is not familiar with the fact that one is a master volume, and one is not.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
I stopped by my local Gtr ctr on the way home from work last night. They had the Studio classic head in the room you can close the door and play loud; on top of a 1x12 Marshall cab.. Next to a 2x12 Marshall vertical cab. So I had to test it out!

I tried the vertical 2x12 with an HSS strat; not bad. Across the room however; they had a used powered Kemper toaster on top of a used Marshall 4x12 1960Bx I think (straight basketweave 100w greenbacks)

Soooooooo; I hooked them up. Oh yeah!!!
Bloody glorious. This is the sound.. Love it.

I went back and forth using the high/low inputs; sort of like clean channel to drive channel. The 'clean' is stunning, even with the gain maxed; just round and full and awesome. Fat. Also messed with the high/low power. I dig it alot...

The other input with gain up is just rock and AC/DC and classic dirty gnarly friggin incredible.

F*%$ me; now I have GAS for the head AND the cab!!!!!!!

H8eOiBv.jpg

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stopped by my local Gtr ctr on the way home from work last night. They had the Studio classic head in the room you can close the door and play loud; on top of a 1x12 Marshall cab.. Next to a 2x12 Marshall vertical cab. So I had to test it out!

I tried the vertical 2x12 with an HSS strat; not bad. Across the room however; they had a used powered Kemper toaster on top of a used Marshall 4x12 1960Bx I think (straight basketweave 100w greenbacks)

Soooooooo; I hooked them up. Oh yeah!!!
Bloody glorious. This is the sound.. Love it.

I went back and forth using the high/low inputs; sort of like clean channel to drive channel. The 'clean' is stunning, even with the gain maxed; just round and full and awesome. Fat. Also messed with the high/low power. I dig it alot...

The other input with gain up is just rock and AC/DC and classic dirty gnarly friggin incredible.

F*%$ me; now I have GAS for the head AND the cab!!!!!!!

H8eOiBv.jpg
For a minute there I thought your were talking about the Kemper and the 4-12 Colonel!! :erk:

Then a saw the pic and I was relieved! :cool: