Marshall SV20 similar amp ( clean)

• Thread starter Mika555
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mika555

Reaction score
@Mika555
If the SV20 is "exactly what I want" but lacking a Master volume, get this and plop it in the loop and "voila" you've got an excellent Master Volume!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LittleBAB--jhs-little-black-amp-box-passive-amp-attenuator

View attachment 85938
That's interesting. I've never heard about this before. What is this?

Edit:
So if I understood correctly, by inserting this device in the fx loop, I could increase the volume of the amp without getting overdriven/crunch?
But how is the principle? How does he act in the amp?

Last edited:

RCM 800

Reaction score
PRS MT15 is loud as F#$% and has a very clean clean channel. I know some people recommended the OR20 but I think it breaks up faster than what you would want. Or the OR50 might be a good choice if you need a lot of headroom.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
That's interesting. I've never heard about this before. What is this?

Edit:
So if I understood correctly, by inserting this device in the fx loop, I could increase the volume of the amp without getting overdriven/crunch?
But how is the principle? How does he act in the amp?
No, it does not increase volume. It works like a master volume and makes the amp quieter.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
What about victory?
I had a Victory Sheriff 44 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I strongly advise to not buy until you try.

Also don't think you want a SV20 if you are looking for 'warm'.

Mika555

Reaction score
I had a Victory Sheriff 44 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I strongly advise to not buy until you try.

Also don't think you want a SV20 if you are looking for 'warm'.

If you play the SV20 on Chanel 2 it is the best clean amp I ever heard. And yes, it his very warm

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Check out more amps. Really. I'd love to suggest some for you to try based on your description but can you answer:

-combo/head/speakers
-how loud of a band
-percentage of home/low volume vs band/loud drummer volume

Mika555

Reaction score
The amp is essentially for home playing.... Not Band. But if I get the possibility to play in a band in the future, I would have the possibility to do it, that's all. I need a clean bluesy Amp, with el34's. 20 watts max. Distortion or od are not necessary.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
The amp is essentially for home playing.... Not Band. But if I get the possibility to play in a band in the future, I would have the possibility to do it, that's all. I need a clean bluesy Amp, with el34's. 20 watts max. Distortion or od are not necessary.
Combo or head? Why 20w?

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
So I could let the Chanel volume an 2 and make the amp louder with this thing?
Not sure what you’re asking. If you put a JHS box in the loop it sits between the preamp and power section. It is used to decrease the signal from the preamp. The idea is that you can turn the amp up and get the power tubes cooking and then the JHS box cuts some of the signal so that the amp gets quieter and more manageable for home use. But it’s not really is good as a regular master volume or attenuator. You’d be better off getting the SC20, it manages low volume better than the SV20.

Cold Shot

Reaction score

Why EL34's specifically? Sounds to me like you need a Deluxe Reverb.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
@Mika555
If the SV20 is "exactly what I want" but lacking a Master volume, get this and plop it in the loop and "voila" you've got an excellent Master Volume!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LittleBAB--jhs-little-black-amp-box-passive-amp-attenuator

View attachment 85938
I've been making them for over 15 years. All they are is a volume pot in a box. You can even add a tone control and/or a 9v and an LED (however, basic wiring will have the LED Off when the control is active and vice-versa, so you'll need to know how to specially wire it for the LED to be On when the control is active and vice-versa). Best uses:

As a volume boost for solos:
Stick it in the FX loop, turn it off, and adjust your amp's volume to be the max you want for solos. Then, turn it on and use the volume control to limit your volume for rhythm playing. Used this way, when you kick it to Off you get a volume boost for solos.

As a gain booster:
Used exactly the same as above, except you add it before your amp's Input, and instead of a boosting volume it will boost gain in the same way your guitar's volume control does. In fact, depending on your front-end signal chain, you may just be better off using your guitar's volume control.

To boost gain AND volume,:
Add it before the Input of a non-master volume amp. Again, it will act just like your guitar's volume control, but you may find it beneficial to use this type of switch for sudden activation without sparing your picking hand to adjust your guitar's volume control.

These can be useful in a pinch, but for semi-pro and pro use you'll be better off with an active preamp.

Latest posts