Marshall Tsl60/tsl100 Appreciation Thread!!

• Thread starter Yamariv
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
A question for you guys, when I was researching the TSL before I bought mine, I read a bunch of threads, some positive, and a lot of them were very negative. In fact, I would go as far as to say unfairly maligned.

Does the negative reception come from people expecting a three-channel DSL? What was the reception of these like when they launched? I've only read one article from the time from Vintage Guitar but the response seemed pretty positive.

I own both JCM 2000's and the TSL is just better for my needs, but I just wondered what you guys thought
Mostly I believe it is from the bias drift issue where components burn out on majn board causing the bias to drift into red plate zone.
That said, my TSL122 has given me no indication of this. It is personal taste. I find my TSL very easy to set partly because there are no mode buttons to further comlicate things. Pick a channel and set it like any other amp. The addition of EQ and gain on every channel jncluding clean on the 100 watters make it so versatile. I find it gets a bit compressed when gain is high on channel 2, I sometimes reduce gain amd goose it with an OD.
Very good sounding hard rock and old metal amps IMO. I am keeping mjne and using it as much as I can!

Fisheth24

Reaction score
Mostly I believe it is from the bias drift issue where components burn out on majn board causing the bias to drift into red plate zone.
That said, my TSL122 has given me no indication of this. It is personal taste. I find my TSL very easy to set partly because there are no mode buttons to further comlicate things. Pick a channel and set it like any other amp. The addition of EQ and gain on every channel jncluding clean on the 100 watters make it so versatile. I find it gets a bit compressed when gain is high on channel 2, I sometimes reduce gain and goose it with an OD.
Very good sounding hard rock and old metal amps IMO. I am keeping mjne and using it as much as I can!

Good points all round, I'm sure the reliability thing was a factor, I've had no problems with my 2005 one,

does the mainboard swap change anything about the tone at all?

Headache

Reaction score
Mine is an 03 and it's never had any issues.

DDJ34

Reaction score
Soooo....
All this Marshall talk made me go in and fire it up again.
(Plus the fact I went to the pawn shop to pick up an Marshall MG30DFX as a practice amp until this one is straightened out, but when I tried it, it had no gain channel.) Back to the TSL.
Same thing.
Scratchiness when I clicked standby switch,
Played for 5 minutes and I can hear volume wavering. All three channels work and switch fine with an aftermarket KoolKat footswitch.
I keep playing, now come the sudden volume disappearances. First time I wiggle the input jack and it comes back. Off again, wiggling does nothing. Suddenly back on....then off, then on...back to volume wavering.
I'll feel stupid if I just have a slowly dying tube. No spares to check with right now.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Soooo....
All this Marshall talk made me go in and fire it up again.
(Plus the fact I went to the pawn shop to pick up an Marshall MG30DFX as a practice amp until this one is straightened out, but when I tried it, it had no gain channel.) Back to the TSL.
Same thing.
Scratchiness when I clicked standby switch,
Played for 5 minutes and I can hear volume wavering. All three channels work and switch fine with an aftermarket KoolKat footswitch.
I keep playing, now come the sudden volume disappearances. First time I wiggle the input jack and it comes back. Off again, wiggling does nothing. Suddenly back on....then off, then on...back to volume wavering.
I'll feel stupid if I just have a slowly dying tube. No spares to check with right now.
Get some spares. Try em. Check the input jack too.

Reaction score
I just remember my TSL122 100W couldn't hang with my buddy's Soldano....Crushed me. That was 20 years ago.

Fisheth24

Reaction score
I just remember my TSL122 100W couldn't hang with my buddy's Soldano....Crushed me. That was 20 years ago.

I just gave my other guitarist an 100W SLO clone, I've not pitched my TSL up against it yet (used my DSL last time), but it sounded really loud last rehearsal

Fisheth24

Reaction score
I just got a track that I recorded with my TSL 100 back from an engineer, I'll post it here when it's released, but I know the TSL100 has a reputation for being "buzzy" and "Fizzy" but I really don't understand that. It really slays. Especially with a boost in front of it.

If memory serves me right we used a Bad Monkey to boost it in the studio. Which sounded great, I'd usually use my SD-1 or my 808 but I didn't have them with me.

Venire

Reaction score
I just got a track that I recorded with my TSL 100 back from an engineer, I'll post it here when it's released, but I know the TSL100 has a reputation for being "buzzy" and "Fizzy" but I really don't understand that. It really slays. Especially with a boost in front of it.

If memory serves me right we used a Bad Monkey to boost it in the studio. Which sounded great, I'd usually use my SD-1 or my 808 but I didn't have them with me.
After 15 years, I'm getting back into playing again...anyway I remember loving my amp in the early 2000s as well as my jtm 30...both get much hate I never had a problem back then. I did change the tubes since the amps sat so long and had them cleaned up...tldr I'm looking forward to hearing what you did with your tsl

The Dose of Harmony

Reaction score

Hey Dude !
There are a few guys like me waiting for that track !
You better post it soon!
Lol

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I'm a newerish owner of a TSL100 , and so far i quite enjoy the tones coming from this head .
At lower volumes the distortion is a bit " Buzzy " as many have complained about , but once you get the
power section working , that fades away imo , and the Marshall tone begins to sing !!!!

20200730_184900

The Dose of Harmony

Reaction score
I'm a newerish owner of a TSL100 , and so far i quite enjoy the tones coming from this head .
At lower volumes the distortion is a bit " Buzzy " as many have complained about , but once you get the
power section working , that fades away imo , and the Marshall tone begins to sing !!!!

20200730_184900
If you Roll off on the presence knob on the Tsl you would be surprise!
I discover long time ago the treeble on the Tsl its just too much!

Fisheth24

Reaction score
Track will be coming sooner rather than later, just needing to get artwork sorted and all that. But I really love the lead channel of the TSL, it's really smooth and liquidy, which is pretty unique. Especially for a Marshall. It really feels like more of the American amps I've played in the way it responds, at least to me.

I've done some tracking with the DSL 100 in the past, but it's nothing like the TSL. but it's funny because I had a conversation with the guys over in Necropanther (Thrash/Death metal band from the states) about this over Twitter,

but I've heard the TSL regarded as Marshall responding to Mesa and not quite getting it, but in my experiences, I'm not sure that's what they were trying to do. It always feels like it was Marshall's second attempt at the multi-channel switching amps that were coming out in the 90s.

Was the TSL before or after the 6100?

Attached a preview of the track for you guys, Rhythm tracks are TSL to the Right and DSL20 to the left, but I haven't confirmed that with our engineer. Both amps going through a 2X12 with V30s and a Bad Monkey in the front

All lead parts were done with the Lead Channel on the TSL:

Last edited: