• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall's answer to the Badlander

• Thread starter MarcOfWar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RMosack

Reaction score
Im just hoping we are going to get something new from Marshall to compete the criticaly accaimed Badlander. A new flagship amp serie or something. It would be pretty awesome.
Update the JVM with some sort of power scaling and it would sell like hot cakes.
The ONLY thing I didn’t like about my JVM 100H was that there were time# (most) that I didn’t need 100 watts. Sold it and went in a totally different direction: Mesa Mark V.

IMO, the beauty of the JVM was that it offered loads of different Marshall tones. It was versatile. But at 100 watts, it just wasn’t that versatile. The Revv Generator 120 has 4 great channels at 10 or 100 watts. The Mesa Mark V has 3 great (and not very British) channels at 15, 45 or 90 watts.

Getting Revv or Mesa versatility, but with core Marshall tones (JTM, JMP, JCM, DSL), would be my dream amp. I’m actually shocked that they haven’t simply updated the JVM line to compete. It’s been over a decade, right?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF? As if the new Boogie scamp invokes any response necessary.

From any Amper.

For me another brush off the shoulder.

Just a thought. Pubescent young players. The age where new players confuse playing over theatrics. Dress over smell. Until they meet Thor. Commanding and thunderous.

I am biased. Don't care to be swaded at my age. Ears keep me honest. Any amp can go there. Just run a Fender boosted with the right pedal.

MarcOfWar

Reaction score
WTF? As if the new Boogie scamp invokes any response
I think it should push them to build something new. Thats the way in pretty much any company in the world who compete against each other for a market. Especially Boogie and Mesa. And the fact that Marshall is overdue for a bold 50-100 watt amp that is not call a Reissue or a DSL.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbadorange

Reaction score
Sidebar, back in '82, I drove up to Petaluma from Redwood City and picked up a MKIIC head at Mesa headquarters. Jim Cassero from Vicious Rumors fired it up for me on the loading dock, and took me through it's features. Rolling Stones flight cases were all over the place BTW...
I remember crapping my pants the first time i heard vicious rumors debut album. I still break it out once in while. Flawless and amazing metal.

proxy

Reaction score
Im just hoping we are going to get something new from Marshall to compete the criticaly accaimed Badlander. A new flagship amp serie or something. It would be pretty awesome.

To compete about what?
Marshall is the crunch.
Messa is the mud.
Two different things that cannot be compared or matched.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
To compete about what?
Marshall is the crunch.
Messa is the mud.
Two different things that cannot be compared or matched.
Absolutely, mud is a lot of people’s preference, which is fair enough .

Crunchifyable

Reaction score
Absolutely, mud is a lot of people’s preference, which is fair enough .

Or maybe a low mids emphasis, with a tight or boomy low end, and a chug. It has to chug.

The Badlander is an awesomely designed amp. Two channels that can be set totally the same or totally different. I'm not a great fan of the tone in the videos, but the concept is good.

Marshall is the AC/DC of guitar amps. They have been releasing the same thing over and over and they think its awesome. Well ok. But as others have said, most of the world has moved on. Probably because a lot of stock Marshalls sound bad, subjectively anyway, or they don't sound like a Mesa Mark IIc or a Peavey 5150 or a Diezel VH channel 3, or whatever German amp is now popular.

And Marshall wants to make amps that sound like three flavors of stock Marshall. "Clean Marshall" (shrill typically), generic crunch (not as biting as a JCM800), and fuzzy indistinct "Overdrive" that is just not a subsistute for a Peavey or Mesa or a German amp that has the correct low end and correct low mid / upper mid contour for "chug" "djent" "nu-metal" "Metallica post-2008" whatever you want to call it.

But basically Marshall has become generic and a bad imitation of themselves (outside of the studio reissues and actual reissues which do the job but are one trick ponies).

ampeq

Reaction score
Why do people think Mesa needs to "match" or do the same thing a Marshall does. Hell most Marshall's don't even do what Marshall's do. As far as I'm concerned they both have their place for different stuff. Yes, Mesa does not do what the Marshalls I like do, but then again Marshall can't do what the Mesa's can do either. Mesa makes a far more versatile amp in my opinion, and no junk. They are much more innovative, very well made, and cover a wide range of music styles. These type's of amps they make, for super heavy metal, work very good for that style music. (Especially with 7 & 8 string guitars.) It's not my thing at all but if I were into it I would be using Mesa and Diezel for sure. Their cleans are outstanding also, I could do a ton of real nice clean stuff with my Mark V. (I love the 5-band eq's they use, same with my Carvin.) One thing you can NOT do with Mesa is be a "brand buyer", like a lot of people do with Marshall and Fender. Mesa's amp's are for different music styles and can be completely different from line to line. You must play them all to see if they will work for you.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do people think Mesa needs to "match" or do the same thing a Marshall does. Hell most Marshall's don't even do what Marshall's do. As far as I'm concerned they both have their place for different stuff. Yes, Mesa does not do what the Marshalls I like do, but then again Marshall can't do what the Mesa's can do either. Mesa makes a far more versatile amp in my opinion, and no junk. They are much more innovative, very well made, and cover a wide range of music styles. These type's of amps they make, for super heavy metal, work very good for that style music. (Especially with 7 & 8 string guitars.) It's not my thing at all but if I were into it I would be using Mesa and Diezel for sure. Their cleans are outstanding also, I could do a ton of real nice clean stuff with my Mark V. (I love the 5-band eq's they use, same with my Carvin.) One thing you can NOT do with Mesa is be a "brand buyer", like a lot of people do with Marshall and Fender. Mesa's amp's are for different music styles and can be completely different from line to line. You must play them all to see if they will work for you.

Yah it gets funny when we go Marshall vs mesa or any other amp on a Marshall forum.:D

TBH? Play what gets ya. The playing really is why we choose whatever amp. My ears like that Marshall voicing. Mesa sounds good too. Seeing mesa reinvent the rectifier? Not excited. But I don't have to be. That's why I hang on a Marshall biased forum.:eddie:

ampeq

Reaction score
Yah it gets funny when we go Marshall vs mesa or any other amp on a Marshall forum.:D

TBH? Play what gets ya. The playing really is why we choose whatever amp. My ears like that Marshall voicing. Mesa sounds good too. Seeing mesa reinvent the rectifier? Not excited. But I don't have to be. That's why I hang on a Marshall biased forum.:eddie:
Yep, guitars are the same way. If I play my Strat I play differently than when I play my LP. Amp's do the same thing for me, when I played the Cal. Tweed it was all clean type stuff because that is where the amp took me. In fact, if an amp or guitar does not take me somewhere or give me some sort of inspiration, I sell it. I like to have one amp for each style of music I like and I want that amp to be the best I can get for whatever it's intended for. I don't need 9 Fender amps for clean tones, 1 or 2 of them will do it all and better than the rest. Same for my Brit type rock amps, after MANY years and amps, I found the Ceriatone Chupacabra. It's not a Marshall, but then I never listened to the name tag anyway. In the end all you need to do is make yourself happy with whatever amp you pick. I'v found no one amp company covers it all, so be prepared to try new stuff.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Agreed. No one amp does everything and you can have as many amps as you are willing to pay for and make the space for. I have thirteen amps at this moment, of which one is a Fender Pro Reverb from 1980, two are Mesas, one is a Blackstar, and all the rest are Marshalls. And there's room for more! They all have their place and I appreciate every one of them for the different tones they provide. I don't think I have too many amps, instead, there are amps I'd buy TODAY if I had the budget for them. I want to get another blue stripe Mark III, and I want a David Bray amp...at the very minimum. And I still don't have a 1987 or 2204, which I need to complement my 1959s and my 2203.

Whether your preference is for one or two amps or fifty different amps, or even fifty of the same model, get what makes you happy. Your way is never wrong for YOU.

ampeq

Reaction score
Agreed. No one amp does everything and you can have as many amps as you are willing to pay for and make the space for. I have thirteen amps at this moment, of which one is a Fender Pro Reverb from 1980, two are Mesas, one is a Blackstar, and all the rest are Marshalls. And there's room for more! They all have their place and I appreciate every one of them for the different tones they provide. I don't think I have too many amps, instead, there are amps I'd buy TODAY if I had the budget for them. I want to get another blue stripe Mark III, and I want a David Bray amp...at the very minimum. And I still don't have a 1987 or 2204, which I need to complement my 1959s and my 2203.

Whether your preference is for one or two amps or fifty different amps, or even fifty of the same model, get what makes you happy. Your way is never wrong for YOU.
Yes sir, no such thing as wrong as long as YOU are happy. One real good things about collecting guitars, amp's or anything is you can always eat them if you need money. (A least classic stuff.) Myself, I don't have the space or the time for to many amps. I'v boiled it down to about 5 guitars and about 5 amps in total, to many other goodies to play with. (And if you think this hobby is expensive try classic cars!) I like to have all my stuff ready to play at any time, you need a big room for that if you have a ton of amps. I guess that new modeling stuff will cut down on that, but I like my tubes. I see a lot of people looking for those "blue stripe" Mesa's, I'v never tried one myself. The one I want is the 2C+ but hard to find a real nice one. Nik seems to know about them though....... we'll see....

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Blue stripe Mark IIIs are very aggressive sounding and yet have a smoothness to them, too. How can such an aggressive sounding amp also be so musical? Don't know, but I'm regretting selling the one I had. Not that I really had a choice....but I'm looking for another one.

Frodebro

Reaction score
The biggest difference between Marshall and Mesa at this point is that Mesa is still owned and run by the guy who built the company from the ground up, and he happens to also be a consummate tinkerer. Thus all of the various lines and sounds. Marshall is currently run by bean counters who are more concerned with costs and profit margins than anything else.

MarcOfWar

Reaction score
Yeah so i just want Marshall to release a new kick ass amp is all i really meant to say. I couldn't care less about comparing them to whatever. And then it went sideway.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah so i just want Marshall to release a new kick ass amp is all i really meant to say. I couldn't care less about comparing them to whatever. And then it went sideway.

No way man! If I was into high gain id go fender boosted in the front. Or Mesa.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really though. What would Marshall do new? It's all flavors.

Curious though as to what Marshall does new that would prolly get the exact Fucking response?

Hard to be naive here or there amp wise.