• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Metallica tone?

• Thread starter LPJohnny
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Mostly digital. :lol: I used a Digitech Bad Monkey to get a more authentic tone, since James used a TS for his rhythm tones.

My Strat with a DiMarzio SD > Digitech Bad Monkey > Computer > Reaper > LePou LeGion (sounds better than TSE X30, IMO) > LeCab + those Metallica IRs.

I actually had to dime the highs on the Digitech to get that sound.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Very cool. Is Reaper and other software free? This digital recoding stuff is a mystery to me.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It's trialware, meaning you can use it as a trial version for as long as you want, but it urges you to buy either a normal (discounted) version for $50 or a retail version (if you plan on recording and selling albums) for $250. I don't remember how the prices work, exactly.

EDIT:

You may use the discounted license if any of the following is true:

You are an individual, using REAPER only for personal use.
You are an individual or business, using REAPER for commercial use, and the yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000.
You are an educational or non-profit organization.

EDIT: Here's an attempt at the MoP tone.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22962978/Audio/mop.mp3

Last edited:

Bigmuff

Reaction score
I have read that Hetfield used a Proco Rat for some of the KEA record.

True or false? :hmm:

Marshall_Watts87

Reaction score
yep, sounds bad. must be using a distortion pedal. so many people still do that. either they want to, which I can understand, or they just don't know how to find the right amp and eq it properly.

I only used one distortion pedal in my life when I was 12 on a crate practice amp. other than that a Marshall Rack Set up and JVM's and a rectifier. never needed one ever.

Mosher Zone

Reaction score
It's hard these days to say what people think scooped is. I personally think Masters is scooped in comparison with Ride but I don't think it is that scooped when compared to some death metal stuff that came after. Also everyone started saying all the thrash bands scooped while I don't think Anthrax Among the Living is that scooped when I listen to it now, bass heavy yes but...

Bigmuff

Reaction score
Metallica seems to have gotten more and more scooped sounding over time, with AJFA being the low point. Backlash against the crappy recording and tone of AJFA was pretty brutal, and thereafter it seems like they dialed some of the mids back in. Although I don't like the records much, Load and Reload have pretty cool metal guitar tones with adequate mids. Even St. Anger has more mids in the guitars than AJFA. Doesn't stop it from being a godawful record though.

One could probably make a pretty interesting case for metal guitar-tone following Metallica's example, in general, though the 80's and 90's.

zachman

Reaction score
No, you are wrong. Get an EQ and try it yourself instead of wasting time disagreeing with me.
The mids are scooped, not cranked. Cranked mids would sound like shit, also try this on your EQ. Google doesn´t lie. No related homepages between "metallica" and "craked mids" but this thread. How do you explain this? The proof is right there, just let it be!

Google "Q point". The EQ slider in the middle may be scooped, but the MK is a VERY mid heavy amp, and so the Q point of the G-eq, is made to work with the preamp eq controls for an overall range of frequencies-- in affect "Looking" scooped to the casual observer, but in reality there are plenty of mids there. ;)

Dmann

Reaction score
No, you are wrong. Get an EQ and try it yourself instead of wasting time disagreeing with me.
The mids are scooped, not cranked. Cranked mids would sound like shit, also try this on your EQ. Google doesn´t lie. No related homepages between "metallica" and "craked mids" but this thread. How do you explain this? The proof is right there, just let it be!

Google doesn't lie.... you heard it here 1st. :hbang:

zachman

Reaction score
Google doesn't lie.... you heard it here 1st. :hbang:

cc28922f5a_zpscf14efa7.gif