• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Metalllica..

• Thread starter stock_hippie
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stock_hippie

Reaction score
which Marshalla comes closest to the sound of Metallica...?in your opinion...thanks dudez!!!

sojatriani

Reaction score
Kirk uses "two Mesas with a DSL100 in the middle for extra bark when recording".Got that quote of Kirk on behind the music.

PaoloJM

Reaction score
The tones on the new album rock.:rock:
I'm lovin' the old school riffing.

I think they're mainly Mesa guys though "Some Kinda Monster" does show what appear to be DSLs and JCM800s in the studio so the Behind The Music Quote is probably spot on.
I'd say a hot rodded JCM 800 2203, DSL or JVM would get you in Metaliica territory.
A set of EMGs on your geetar also helps a lot.
When dialling in the 'tallica tone please don't make the mistake of "scooping" all your mids or using too much gain. You need a tight, thick bass and the punch of the mids together with a moderate amount of gain. A moderate amount of trebs also help with the definition. I'd go for a B=8,M=5,T=6.5, P=4 on a JCM (with the treble cap removed).
Too much of a mid scoop and too much gain just leaves a muddy, undefined mess which doesn't cut through the band mix.
AFAIK, the "mid scoop" thing was done on the mix desk with a graphic equaliser pulling out frequencies at about the 1.5kHz mark, but I may be wrong on that.

jcm 2000

Reaction score
dude i would go 4 a jcm like an old jcm with EL84 POWER TUBES cuz you get a rawer sound (in my opinion) and thats what metallica used while recording KILL EM ALL in my opinion best metallica album ever...:headbanger:

anyway thats what i would do cuz ive been searching for that JAMES HEITFIELD "magic marshall" tone 4 a while came very close and im not using a MARSHALL maybe thats the problem...lol

hope i helped:dude:
rock on

lerxst88

Reaction score
id say jcm 800. honestly i have never played one or own one but thats what all the metal bands (except metallica) were playing. zakk wylde plays them, kerry king, and if its not a dual rec its an 800

and i know ill get banned for saying this but if you really want a metallica sound buy a mesa boogie.

steelhorse

Reaction score
That's the truth for some of their albums they definitely had the boogies pumping. Quite a few heavy bands play mostly triple recs from what I understand. I don't know for sure, that's just what I've heard.

Chadman

Reaction score
While we're talking about it does anyone know FOR SURE!! what they did and how they set there Marshall’s on those first two albums??? (I’m sure they we’re on to boogie’s by the time Master came out) I have a JCM800 2203 and I do play Metal, but it doesn’t sound a thing like the tone on the “four horsemen” or “trapped under ice” I guess maybe what I’m trying to get at here is….If they did use those old Marshall’s…what mod’s?? or pedal’s?? a friend of mine told me once they used the Boss DS-1 ( but I just can’t accept that?)

Latest posts