Missing something or not?

• Thread starter crossy67
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crossy67

Reaction score
Hey guys I recently purchased a jvm 210H and run it through my 1960ax cab. I also have a 1987x which sounds awesome through the same cab but I wonder if I’m missing out on something running the jvm through a different cab ie: 1960a/b or 1960a/bv

Can you guys who have used all of them with your jvm’s Tell me your experiences. I love 80’s rock/metal and classic rock so mainly use orange overdrive and red clean/crunch. There is something going on in the high end frequencies that I’m not completely happy with and thinking maybe they could be tamed and to give a more lower mid boost/growl through one of the above cabs. I know vintage 30’s have that upper mid boost and g12t 75’s are more scooped but that’s about it. Thoughts?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
nice amp.
for me, if i find something that works i seldom look to improve it honestly.
ya get caught up in switching this changing that and before long you have forgotten
how good something played or sounded from the jump.
often what you had you never get back. you end up trading off or selling off the gear that
made the magic in the first place.
i guess what im saying is when your actually satisfied with what you have then BE satisfied
with what you have if its working for you.

crossy67

Reaction score
nice amp.
for me, if i find something that works i seldom look to improve it honestly.
ya get caught up in switching this changing that and before long you have forgotten
how good something played or sounded from the jump.
often what you had you never get back. you end up trading off or selling off the gear that
made the magic in the first place.
i guess what im saying is when your actually satisfied with what you have then BE satisfied
with what you have if its working for you.

That’s the point I’m not completely satisfied. Not sure if you read post properly.

BftGibson

Reaction score
Hey guys I recently purchased a jvm 210H and run it through my 1960ax cab. I also have a 1987x which sounds awesome through the same cab but I wonder if I’m missing out on something running the jvm through a different cab ie: 1960a/b or 1960a/bv

Can you guys who have used all of them with your jvm’s Tell me your experiences. I love 80’s rock/metal and classic rock so mainly use orange overdrive and red clean/crunch. There is something going on in the high end frequencies that I’m not completely happy with and thinking maybe they could be tamed and to give a more lower mid boost/growl through one of the above cabs. I know vintage 30’s have that upper mid boost and g12t 75’s are more scooped but that’s about it. Thoughts?
i run up to jmp on greenbacks ...900,DSL's , on 75/vintage X pattern

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
That’s the point I’m not completely satisfied. Not sure if you read post properly.

i didnt.
you got a high freq issue you stated. have you tried running a EQ pedal through the loop?
by itself through the loop.
often this solves a ton of tonal dissatisfaction and more often than not opens a world
of new tonal bliss. a much cheaper attempt than buying speakers and cabs.

Last edited:

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
Not at all man. Mine sounds good but I’ve been wondering would it sound better through something else namely a 1960 which ive heard is what speakers it was designed with.
I know they say the OD channel on the 210/205 is a little more mid scooped than a typical Marshall. Does upping the mid knobs have any desired effect? Curious as well since I have a 210 coming this week...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Not at all man. Mine sounds good but I’ve been wondering would it sound better through something else namely a 1960 which ive heard is what speakers it was designed with.
No, it would not sound better. I've used a 410H through Greenbacks, V30's, and G12T75's. I liked the 75's the least, too mid scooped (IMO).

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
I know they say the OD channel on the 210/205 is a little more mid scooped than a typical Marshall. Does upping the mid knobs have any desired effect? Curious as well since I have a 210 coming this week...
Actually the Clean/Crunch channel has the typical Marshall midrange, it's the OD channel that's different (Mid centered at 500Hz instead of usual Marshall 650Hz). I wouldn't say it sounds scooped, though, just different. Running Mid around 8 sounds more like the usual Marshall tone but you get better results running an EQ. There's a "conversion" chart on the JVM forum from a long time ago that shows you which frequencies to boost and by how much.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
Actually the Clean/Crunch channel has the typical Marshall midrange, it's the OD channel that's different (Mid centered at 500Hz instead of usual Marshall 650Hz). I wouldn't say it sounds scooped, though, just different. Running Mid around 8 sounds more like the usual Marshall tone but you get better results running an EQ. There's a "conversion" chart on the JVM forum from a long time ago that shows you which frequencies to boost and by how much.
Yes, OD channel as stated above. I’ve been lurking the JVM forum and saw that EQ thingy. On a MXR EQ, the mids were barely boosted!

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Yes, OD channel as stated above. I’ve been lurking the JVM forum and saw that EQ thingy. On a MXR EQ, the mids were barely boosted!
I know, and the biggest boost is down around 400Hz, not what I would have expected!

For a long time I had been using the 10-band MXR with good results but last year I found this kooky JHS pedal called Haunting Mids, basically a 1-band parametric EQ for midrange. I was able to spend some time with a 410H dialing in the JHS on OD2 and comparing to OD1 and got it really, really close. Now it's my always-on pedal with my 215C.

Lukas

Reaction score

I have the 210H running through a 1960 A &B cabs. It sounds ginormous. I play heavy metal mostly and one pedal that’s on all the time is an MXR 10 band eq in the effects loop. This pedal shapes the already awesome tone of the JVM from good to fantastic. That’s the missing link your looking for, and maybe turn your presence down lol.

crossy67

Reaction score

I run a good amount of mids anyway mate so not sure what the 410 od1 sounds like live. It’s a great amp, my question was mainly out of curiosity and I do need to get another cab anyway for it. My 1987x sounds amazing through the ax cab and I won’t be running that through anything else as it’s still my number one. The jvm still sounds really good through the greenbacks, just maybe a little loose and a fraction muddy in the bottom end so Im guessing it wouldn’t be the amp. Just my opinion and what I hear but YMMV.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
I run a good amount of mids anyway mate so not sure what the 410 od1 sounds like live. It’s a great amp, my question was mainly out of curiosity and I do need to get another cab anyway for it. My 1987x sounds amazing through the ax cab and I won’t be running that through anything else as it’s still my number one. The jvm still sounds really good through the greenbacks, just maybe a little loose and a fraction muddy in the bottom end so Im guessing it wouldn’t be the amp. Just my opinion and what I hear but YMMV.
Maybe some V30s would serve you well. Tighter bottom end and more mid focused speakers.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score

What brand of valves/tubes you running? Mainly the 12AX7's?

I have been primarily running my 2X12 with my JVM 410H. My 2X12 has had a Heritage Greenback M20 and an Eminence Reignmaker attenuator speaker turned to full attenuation, or lowest output on that speaker. I am running Chinese 12AX7 all through it and had the OEM Wing C EL34's in it for quite some time until loading in a new set of Ruby EL34 BHT's. I don't have top end fizz or odd high frequencies. going on.

I did just swap out the attenuator speaker for a second Heritage Greenback M20 not too long ago, so my cab will be a bit louder basically but should sound the sound somewhat, hopefully a touch better.

I should mention I primarily stay on CH3 OD1 Orange, which is the mode the 205/210 series JVM's do not have. But I do run the OD mode the 205/210 amps have sometimes, and I have no problems with the Treble response. That is CH4 OD2 on my amp and The CH2 OD modes on the 205/210 amps.

Oh no!

I have a JVM210h en route via UPS and I have a cab with greenbacks!

will I hate my new amp???

:run:

You are going to dig that amp, no doubt about that one. Like I mentioned above, there is a bit of subtle differences between the 410 and 205/210 as you will not have that one mode (410 CH3 OD1 Orange) that is so talked about and most popular on the innerwebz. BUT, you can dial in your OD modes to sound close to the response of the 410 CH3 modes just by increasing the mids to about 7 ish and set Bass to 4 ish. Then adjust treble to taste. I had my Treble about 6 with the global Presence 5 and global Resonance 4.

The 205/210 CH2 OD modes/410 CH4 modes are actually much meaner and refined, slight less mids, than 410 CH3 modes.

Bogmonster

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the JVM with Vintage 30's! They really make that amp shine. I have a cab with the 75's in at and they sound decent too when broken in. But Vintage 30's are may favorite for that amp. Very focused sound and nice tight bass. I also run the resonance completely off. It can sometimes sound a bit too boomy with a lot of resonance. But it all depends on the room too. Sometimes I'll add a tiny bit in.

Rockat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 210H which is indeed a fantastic amp. I use it with a 1960B with vintage 30’s. It delivers in epic proportions. In comparison I have found GT75’s have a flabby bottom end. Saying that, I do like some bass thump!
Re the top end I concur try reducing the presence and treble a bit. The sound will come!

Latest posts