• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Modded Ds1 V/s Vox Satchurator

• Thread starter HOT TUBES 70
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

satchfan

Reaction score
I've got both & to my ears the Satchurator is a lot smoother sound than the DS1, also a little deeper & richer with a better tone.

Steve.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
i like my ds1 more than the vox

i have in my hands a vox satch and a DS1 that i modded a few months ago.
well , i have too say that the vox satch comes up short in blowing me
away like some folks have said . the volume output was so low that i had
to turn my amp up to even hear it , the dist. is on the fuzzy side , and it
sounded very compressed and almost distorted going into my amp , it has
the classic blanket over the speaker cab thing going on , the only good
thing is it has great sustain and tons of gain . more than my modded
DS1 for sure.

i just got done about an hour of playing both pedals , the DS1 to me still
sounds more like a real tube amp , warm and full .
not the pedal i thought it was going to be.....:hmm::confused:

thrashforlife , i agree with you on that .

surfdog777

Reaction score
I tell ya, I'm less impressed with so-called "signature" gear as each day unfolds. When you boil it down, most signature products are just marketing tactics to sell more stuff.

I'm curious to know if Joe's Satchurator ever logs any real stage or studio time.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I tell ya, I'm less impressed with so-called "signature" gear as each day unfolds. When you boil it down, most signature products are just marketing tactics to sell more stuff.

I'm curious to know if Joe's Satchurator ever logs any real stage or studio time.

i'm read'n yer mail brother !!!!

i currently have a 6100LM head and 4x12 cab , the same type gear that
joe used on a few cd's , i tryed running a DS1 into the clean channel as
he does , and it sounds like total garbage , you can't get anywhere near
his sound with it that way , so my question is .....:wtf: !!!!!!

I still can't understand why have this custom peavey amp built , and then
run a fuzz pedal into the clean channel , one of life's mystrys i guess.
the 6100LM has some meaty tone , as well as the JSX , to each there own.

MG100

Reaction score
I've found the Satch pedal can get you in the Satch tone ballpark as a recording preamp - run it through a cab emulator and its pretty good into a PC as a practice / redcording setup. Doesn't really push my boat out using it through my amp in a live situation. The gain channel on my cheap'n'cheerful MG100 head is far superior to either pedal IMO.
I'd not recommend either pedal.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
to be fair i never tryed it out for a recording etc ! but it did nothing for me as a
main distortion or a boost pedal . i can't comment on the MG100 tone because
i have never heard or played on one.

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
I've found the Satch pedal can get you in the Satch tone ballpark as a recording preamp - run it through a cab emulator and its pretty good into a PC as a practice / redcording setup. Doesn't really push my boat out using it through my amp in a live situation. The gain channel on my cheap'n'cheerful MG100 head is far superior to either pedal IMO.
I'd not recommend either pedal.

I'm seeing a trend with amps that the amp distortion is always better then any box distortion. :hmm:

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I'm seeing a trend with amps that the amp distortion is always better then any box distortion. :hmm:

i should hope so !!!!!

pay 100$ for a pedal , or 2000$ for a head , the head better sound better !!!

to add to this , i have the 6100LM , i don't use pedals very much , just
once in a while to add some differernt flavors etc.:hmm:

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
Well the AVT might not be 2000 dollars but the overdrive channel was surprisingly good. I always thought it sounded horrible but with my eq in the loop it really can get that good tone. I was shocked when I compared the ds-1 in the clean to just the overdrive channel. My set up now is just using the clean and overdrive from the amp with a blue breaker pedal that I can use sparingly to get the sounds in between in conjunction with the clean channel. :)

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Well the AVT might not be 2000 dollars but the overdrive channel was surprisingly good. I always thought it sounded horrible but with my eq in the loop it really can get that good tone. I was shocked when I compared the ds-1 in the clean to just the overdrive channel. My set up now is just using the clean and overdrive from the amp with a blue breaker pedal that I can use sparingly to get the sounds in between in conjunction with the clean channel. :)

is the DS1 pedal modded or stock ???:hmm:

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
Stock but honestly I don't think it would make a difference I have tried many high dollar pedals but nothing gives as much punch as the original amp. But on the other hand I can boost the clean with an overdrive and get the sound I desire in between my clean and overdrive channel on the amp.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Stock but honestly I don't think it would make a difference I have tried many high dollar pedals but nothing gives as much punch as the original amp. But on the other hand I can boost the clean with an overdrive and get the sound I desire in between my clean and overdrive channel on the amp.

for the most part i would agree , but it depends on what amp and pedal.
the DS1 is the one pedal that does make a huge transformation , from
stock to modded , its a world of difference !!!

but you can't compare a all tube head to a pedal !!!

omikl

Reaction score
I'll add my three penneth worth...

I tried out the Sachurator a few months back when it first hit the stores here, and as I already use a Keeley DS-1 Ultra it brought nothing to the party at all.

If you don't alredauy have a modded DS-1 I can see that it's a nice alternative to have on the try-out list

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I'll add my three penneth worth...

I tried out the Sachurator a few months back when it first hit the stores here, and as I already use a Keeley DS-1 Ultra it brought nothing to the party at all.

If you don't alredauy have a modded DS-1 I can see that it's a nice alternative to have on the try-out list

thanks for your review of the vox Satch pedal , i was hoping for
more from the pedal also , being a huge joe fan , but not to be !!

sojatriani

Reaction score
If you have ever seen Joes' pedal board live, you will notice Joe used two different Satchurators, one for low gain, one for high gain. Joe uses all of his Sig. stuff for a long time before he even releases it to you and I. Just tryed his new Vox delay and it is amazing, while some players do release alot of junk with thier name on it, Joe actually plays his first, and if you read up on the DS1 and the Satchurator, the Satchurator is based on Joes' modded DS1 circutry, so the comparison is really close. To me the Satchurator is alot more complex with defined mids and more control with the guitars volume. I use mine live with no problems, it is better for leadwork, and more controlable than most amp distortion for me. The feedback is more predictable which I love. For rhythm it is a little thin, as is the DS1. But it is the exact pedal Joe plays live, and sounds exactly like Joe. No question about that. And to answer HotTubes, he uses the Satchurator to replicate the tones on the older stuff and used the JSX distortion for the newer more aggresive stuff as well as rhythm work, like the ultra channel sounds like the Mesa MarkIIC he used on Flying, or the 5150 he uses on Crystal Planet. . His sounds are so diverse no one amp would ever cut it live for him. Although the LM6100 is close. So essentially you are trying to compare the Satchurator with one of the primary amps it is trying to replicate....LOL...you got the best amp for Joes sound, you know that , no pedal compares.... :))

psphill27

Reaction score
If you have ever seen Joes' pedal board live, you will notice Joe used two different Satchurators, one for low gain, one for high gain. Joe uses all of his Sig. stuff for a long time before he even releases it to you and I. Just tryed his new Vox delay and it is amazing, while some players do release alot of junk with thier name on it, Joe actually plays his first, and if you read up on the DS1 and the Satchurator, the Satchurator is based on Joes' modded DS1 circutry, so the comparison is really close. To me the Satchurator is alot more complex with defined mids and more control with the guitars volume. I use mine live with no problems, it is better for leadwork, and more controlable than most amp distortion for me. The feedback is more predictable which I love. For rhythm it is a little thin, as is the DS1. But it is the exact pedal Joe plays live, and sounds exactly like Joe. No question about that. And to answer HotTubes, he uses the Satchurator to replicate the tones on the older stuff and used the JSX distortion for the newer more aggresive stuff as well as rhythm work, like the ultra channel sounds like the Mesa MarkIIC he used on Flying, or the 5150 he uses on Crystal Planet. . His sounds are so diverse no one amp would ever cut it live for him. Although the LM6100 is close. So essentially you are trying to compare the Satchurator with one of the primary amps it is trying to replicate....LOL...you got the best amp for Joes sound, you know that , no pedal compares.... :))

Yeah...I was just about to say that the last time I saw Joe's pedal board...he had a DS-1 on it. I know he's used one for years. My question is...even with the Saturator...I wonder if he still uses the moded DS-1?

sojatriani

Reaction score
On the last tour he had two prototype Satchurators and a DS1. He has said "the DS1 is just there in case I feel like using it,because sometimes , in certain venues, the DS1 sounds great".... but with the new gear, namely the Time Machine delay and the Big Bad Wah, I think he will probably have a new board setup soon if not already. I would think the DS1 would stay....

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Yeah...I was just about to say that the last time I saw Joe's pedal board...he had a DS-1 on it. I know he's used one for years. My question is...even with the Saturator...I wonder if he still uses the moded DS-1?

truth be known the mod that i sent you for your SD1 , sounded bigger
and fuller to my ears ,into my 6100 .

i know you can't compare a 150$ pedal to a full blown 2200$ tube amp , but
it was more how they worked together , or not !!:dude: