• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

most popular OD pedal with JCM800

• Thread starter vishnu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian R

Reaction score
The Fulltone Fulldrive 2 is a killer pedal with my 800, and it's relatively affordable. Use the Overdrive button to add a little extra crunch to the overall sound, and with the Boost switch engaged, it just screams and can really get you through the mix in a live setting. I used to use the TS9, but the Fulldrive blows it away!

This question comes up all the time and I totally agree with the above..I tried nearly all of the more popular ones, including a few boutique models, and the Fulltone kills em' all! Build quality is superb and is handmade in the USA..for a decent price. One of the strongest features of this pedal, and one that many overlook, is that it can run in 9 or 18v mode...The 18v mode is 'dashite' man giving you far more headroom then a standard SD-1 or TS-9...

bosnialove

Reaction score
Don't buy a Okko Diablo if you have a JCM800! It simply doesn't work!

I really can't get better sounds out of it. The amp without the pedal sounds much better.

Crunchcity

Reaction score
It's a tie between my stock TS-9 or SD-1.

Classics. :)

The SD-1 has some teeth/bite/aggression, which alot of boutiques try to eliminate/filter out from their circuits!

But for boosted rhythm in addition to leads that can help in the mix.

Smooth is great but not always enough for certain tasks, just imo.

bosnialove

Reaction score
I'm going to return the Okko Diablo tomorrow and get a Boss pedal instead.

For some '80s KISS songs, like Tears are falling, Crazy nights, Who wants to be lonely..

Should I buy a SD-1 or a OD-3 for my JCM800 4010 combo?

rdamaral

Reaction score
I seem to be struggling to get that bottom end punch from my '83 JCM. I have the ZW OD, and a MXR 10-band.

How should the 10 band be set up?

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
distortionboxespizza008.jpg

Reckless_Life

Reaction score
I seem to be struggling to get that bottom end punch from my '83 JCM. I have the ZW OD, and a MXR 10-band.

How should the 10 band be set up?

Which JCM is it that you have? combo? head? speakers?...

rdamaral

Reaction score
'83 JCM 800 2203 head. 1960 cab with 75's.

I have several guitars, all with different pups, so it's hard to give a specific one. But in general, the amp seems very bright with no deep "Punch".

ZW Epi LP with MHD Hums
Jacksons with EMG's, Dimarzio SD, SD's

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score

I have several guitars, all with different pups, so it's hard to give a specific one. But in general, the amp seems very bright with no deep "Punch".

ZW Epi LP with MHD Hums

are the speakers broken in? I've read about them being too bright until broken in.
or the other options-
work the tone knobs on the guitars..
bright cap mod
tube change-people say JJ's are darker
run the eq w/ the mids humped w/ the8k & 16k sliders around -6 & -12 respectively. maybe even drop the 4k to 0. adding bass freq's up may just add mud to the bottom.

anyway,there's some places to start.:hmm:

rdamaral

Reaction score
Speakers should be broken in, but I don't know. Bought the cab used, and I don't play much.

I think the head actually has the bright cap mod. Head has 6550's also

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Speakers should be broken in, but I don't know. Bought the cab used, and I don't play much.

I think the head actually has the bright cap mod. Head has 6550's also

mine is too & can be a bit bright depending on tubes (I have Rubys)
what about taking the head & other gear to a music store & trying different cabs?

the cheapest & esiest route would be to dicker w/ the eq. & guitar's tone knobs. since you have MHD pups did you get a harness too or what pots & caps do you have in the guitars? stock? you can change those out easily enough and that will definitely change your tone for the better.

check this out-
Wiring Library - Les Paul Forums

Reckless_Life

Reaction score

ZW Epi LP with MHD Hums

It is a bright amp after all, and the 75's can be harsh on the treble.

But, I would try this: turn the EQ knobs to 0 (incl. Presence), adjust the preamp to taste (I have it maxed) and set the volume to 1 or 2 or whatever volume you want to play.
Play the bridge pickup on your guitar and adjust the EQ knobs of the amp around 2-3 and finetune with small steps.
Rolling off the tone on your guitar also helps, but I'd start with EQ'ing the amp coz that's your main sound.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only overdrive I've ever really used (since '81) I cant say I really use it for overdrive with a Marshall though , 4 hole or Cascade preamp. I set the pedal fairly clean and just use it for juice on the solos

dod001.jpg

I have a tube screamer in Europe somewhere. They never really did it for me.Probably why the sumbich is in Europe

What I really like on my 2203 IS

LPB.jpg

The old school is the best ......

rdamaral

Reaction score
It is a bright amp after all, and the 75's can be harsh on the treble.

But, I would try this: turn the EQ knobs to 0 (incl. Presence), adjust the preamp to taste (I have it maxed) and set the volume to 1 or 2 or whatever volume you want to play.
Play the bridge pickup on your guitar and adjust the EQ knobs of the amp around 2-3 and finetune with small steps.
Rolling off the tone on your guitar also helps, but I'd start with EQ'ing the amp coz that's your main sound.
It might just be my ears, but the EQW knobs on my amp don't do shit. Presence changes the tone, but the others are just there for show, lol

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
It might just be my ears, but the EQW knobs on my amp don't do shit. Presence changes the tone, but the others are just there for show, lol

crank the thing up to around 5 & they start working very well when making minute changes...:wow:

sdgiffin

Reaction score
I use an Xotic BB Preamp. It's a very transparent pedal that works great with an already overdriven amp. It really retains the character of my 800 while just giving, more! The treble and bass knobs are really useful too.

Latest posts