most stoner/doom sounding Big Muff variant

• Thread starter GibsonMarshallGuy47
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
after doing lots of research (i.e. - checking out TONS of video demos online :D) on all the different variants of the most common Big Muffs made throughout the 70's & 80's, I kinda feel like I have a pretty good idea about the tonal characteristics that differentiate them.

as for the the main ones, we have - the Triangle Muff, the Civil War Muff, the Russian Muff, the Big Muff Pi, and the Ram's Head Muff... but in regards to the Russian, I notice that there are even some different variants within that particular era. there's the wide, green colored Russian Muff with the massive circular knobs with the fat on/off switch, and then there's the longer, black colored Russian Muff with yellow script, with the pointer style knobs.

so my question is - for any Big Muff experts out there... which one of the Russian Muff variants are known to have the thicker, chunkier, more bass-y tone between the two?

and a follow up question... in your opinion, are there any other Big Muffs (including the ones I mentioned, or maybe another more obscure Muff) that embodies the sludge-y, stoner/doom vibe the best?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
after doing lots of research (i.e. - checking out TONS of video demos online :D) on all the different variants of the most common Big Muffs made throughout the 70's & 80's, I kinda feel like I have a pretty good idea about the tonal characteristics that differentiate them.

as for the the main ones, we have - the Triangle Muff, the Civil War Muff, the Russian Muff, the Big Muff Pi, and the Ram's Head Muff... but in regards to the Russian, I notice that there are even some different variants within that particular era. there's the wide, green colored Russian Muff with the massive circular knobs with the fat on/off switch, and then there's the longer, black colored Russian Muff with yellow script, with the pointer style knobs.

so my question is - for any Big Muff experts out there... which one of the Russian Muff variants are known to have the thicker, chunkier, more bass-y tone between the two?

and a follow up question... in your opinion, are there any other Big Muffs (including the ones I mentioned, or maybe another more obscure Muff) that embodies the sludge-y, stoner/doom vibe the best?
Dont forget to look at the Proco RAT

V-man

Reaction score
This perhaps is my least understood area of FX (still waiting to explore muffs), but I would submit that notwithstanding the fact there is a very small subset of pedal junkies here (even smaller in this area), certain things should be better addressed for better conclusions.

In the who’s who of stoner doom (sound) what were their Muffs of choice (assuming this is even the case with such entries as Sabbath [modded Rangemaster] and Electric Wizard [Boss FZ-2])?

What amps are their muffs (etc) interacting with and were these amps adding needed character or set absolutely clean?

Is a Muff even the best pedal for doom (fulfilling tonal parameters you want) or is there a better-suited fuzz/distortion?

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
once again, as a result of people getting off topic, I feel the need to clarify what I am asking in this thread.

yes, I am a big fan of ProCo Rats, Rangemasters, Boss FZ-2, etc...all that stuff is great. I dig all of it. however...

what I wish to discuss here are BIG MUFFS... I wanna make sure we're all clear on that... yes, of course there are plenty of fuzz, distortion, and overdrive pedals that are great for stoner/doom. and although that is true, I'm really not discussing any of those pedals here. once again... my question is about: BIG MUFFS, BIG MUFFS, BIG MUFFS.

therefore, if you have a desire to derail this thread by talking about any non Muff pedals, with all due respect, please refer back to THIS comment, and kindly refrain.

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Sorry but I dont understand the question.
I have about 10 big muff variants, they all sound very different depending on the chain.
If I wanted a Doom sound I would use an Wah > OD > Muff > Dist > Delay > Reverb and probably a compressor somewhere too.
With that chain there are so many knobs it doesnt really matter what muff I use, I can destroy any signal.

V-man

Reaction score
therefore, if you have a desire to derail this thread by talking about any non Muff pedals, with all due respect, please refer back to THIS comment, and kindly refrain.

I am pretty sure you were given “constructive” feedback to clarify a vague and self-obstructing OP.

If you simply want the bassiest damned Russian, then you might best specify the amp used/how it should interract and NOT derail your own thread about what does it best for doom.

If you want doom suggestions specific to muffs, that would have been best brought up in the OP, not to those who have helpfully pointed out (despite your awareness) that ”best for doom” may not have been a muff in the first place.

and with that, I have no muff advice and (unfortunately) am betting the farm you won’t get anything close to a satisfactory conclusion here given the specifics cited, but wish you luck regardless.

V-man

Reaction score
This perhaps is my least understood area of FX (still waiting to explore muffs), but I would submit that notwithstanding the fact there is a very small subset of pedal junkies here (even smaller in this area), certain things should be better addressed for better conclusions.

Paying attention is a 2-way street, my guy.

Ask a (marginally satisfactorily-answered) TGP question here and prepare for frustration.

You think I wouldn’t want feedback from my fellow Marshall experts for their best pedal experiences that made Slayer into the Bee Gees in front of a 2203? Yeah, good luck there.

75% of this membership is either “straight in” or “Greatest hits OD/Distortion from the ‘80s ‘90s and ‘00s.“ 25% is more sophisticated, but finding 1 of 5 of them to have relevant experience to a nuanced theme/application <5% is a wild crapshoot.

I get the frustration but your expectations are a bit silly given this and I warned you. 😉

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Paying attention is a 2-way street, my guy.

Ask a (marginally satisfactorily-answered) TGP question here and prepare for frustration.

You think I wouldn’t want feedback from my fellow Marshall experts for their best pedal experiences that made Slayer into the Bee Gees in front of a 2203? Yeah, good luck there.

75% of this membership is either “straight in” or Greatest hits OD/Distortion from the ‘80s ‘90s and ‘00s. 25% is more sophisticated but finding 1 of 5 of them to have relevant experience <5% is a wild crapshoot.

I get the frustration but your expectations are a bit silly given this and I warned you. 😉
I get what you're saying, but let me respond with this - my thoughts on this thread are as follows. here's the way I was hoping the thought process would go...

ME: is anyone here an expert on Big Muff variants made throughout the 70's, 80's, & 90's?

90% OF OTHER PEOPLE: well, I'm not. so I guess I won't bother to comment here.

10% OF OTHER PEOPLE: yes, right here my good man. what do you wanna know?

ME: I'd like to know what you think of the differences between the different Russian eras of the Big Muff

(and so forth and so on)

is that really too much to ask??

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
IMHO experts tend to be grumpy old men who dont suffer fools gladly.
Implying that you think someone who has collected all the different muff variants thinks one and one only is the best makes you sound like a fool.
I never said that I thought there was only ONE type of Big Muff that was the best. I don't get how you can imply that this was what I meant. nor did I imply that someone who is a Big Muff expert would conclude that only one of them is the best.

once again, for the umpteenth time... I am requesting knowledge from a Big Muff expert to compare & contrast the differences between the different variants of the Russian era Muff, to determine which one sounds thicker, chunkier, and bass-ier... and furthermore, in addition to that, I was also asking about if anyone thought that ANY OTHER version of the Big Muff was good for stoner/doom tones.

that's it... I don't want to know about ProCo Rat's, Boss FZ-2's, Rangemasters, or the multitude of any other pedals that people like to use for stoner/doom guitar tones.

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
is that really too much to ask??

pretty much from my initial response, I think so. All I could offer were maybe parameters that ”might” help you streamline your inquiry for better responses (likely elsewhere).

But you know the deal, ask a question poorly/awkwardly of a group largly ill-equipped to answer it (even better-phrased) and respond poorly, and you know where the circus will be headed.

I am sure you have Muff junkies on thequeerpage but most of those assclowns won’t be helpful about the doom bit. My advice would be to ask them the targeted question about the russians, then maybe follow up on a FB doom/metal special purpose page to get their expertise (with a narrowly-tailored question on russians, etc).

Again, good luck with that.

Latest posts