Mr Scary mod with 1979 JMP Vid

• Thread starter cragginshred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run a minty RFT AT7 in first slot of Lynch Mod and it does change the character of the LM with a AX7. Plus the RFT is rounder/smoother.

Don’t usually add a boost to my lil 800 but the Archer JB mixes so mildly and just a bit more yet not ruin my core 800 stringy mean tone. No blurr. It’s fucking naughty with KT88’s under the hood. All outside of chassis tweaks for the win.

Waiting for the big one to drop a K. Then I’ll tune it like the mini.

Last edited:

cragginshred

Reaction score
I got a Mr Scary mod a few weeks ago for my handwired 2203 clone. It's never coming out of that amp, I absolutely love it.
1000% same here. Set it at 1 o'clock like lynch does and find the right balance of bass below noon and the mids just above noon. Sounds massive
Perfect crunch rock tone!!

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
I prefer the first version with one switch. High and low. I keep it in the low position. RCA orange label 12AT7/7025. Right now it is in a '72 JMP50 that I voiced around this unit. I found that this apparatus can really kick ass but one has to tweek the amp a bit to get it right. For me plug and play got mediocre results. I am not a bedroom player, however. Speaker distortion is crucial and the 12AT7 is needed for headroom and volume. Especially for meaty single coil tones.

cliffenstein

Reaction score
Decided to give the hot mod another shot…picked up a Mr. Scary one that was in the standard red housing, which I prefer (not that it matters at all since this is internal, but still). Reports are that the Mr. Scary version doesn’t introduce added noise and doesn’t color the tone at all. I can completely turn it off and then dial in just the right amount of gain.
Following up on this...the 2019 model hand-wired Hot Mod V2 with the same custom factory mods that now make up the Lynch Mod version (it's just hand wired instead of Mr. Scary circuit board construction) came in today. I tried it...like it more than the regular V2 Evo version...like it a lot more actually, but...still like the amp better without it.

Ultimately this thing just isn't for me.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I'm still loving the V2 EVO in my 2203x, which best retains the character of the amp (IMO). I did replace the 1st tube with a 12AT7, which puts my 2203x preamp volume at noon with the Hot Mod Gain switch down. That level of gain is perfect for what I play most. I'll switch to the high gain mode (switch up) occasionally, which sounds great, but not as easy to roll off the guitar for cleans.

Last edited: