• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

My Friend The Noodle Shamer

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

end user

Reaction score
Constantly harping on me because I mostly just noodle on my guitar at home. I have high praise for him because he takes a minimum of 2 hours a day every single day to practice scales and modes. All the time he says to me "Dude you would be so good if you were disciplined" like I suck or something. Hell I'm no shredtastic phenom but I can hold my own in a band.

Playing guitar gives me pleasure and for me it's actually therapeutic. If I have homework to do or something like songs to learn then ya I sit down and woodshed. I always warm up with scales 20 minutes or so before a gig.

Sorry just ranting. It helps for me to type stuff out.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Constantly harping on me because I mostly just noodle on my guitar at home. I have high praise for him because he takes a minimum of 2 hours a day every single day to practice scales and modes. All the time he says to me "Dude you would be so good if you were disciplined" like I suck or something. Hell I'm no shredtastic phenom but I can hold my own in a band.

Playing guitar gives me pleasure and for me it's actually therapeutic. If I have homework to do or something like songs to learn then ya I sit down and woodshed. I always warm up with scales 20 minutes or so before a gig.

:cheers:

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun

To each his own, I say..There IS something to say for a rigid practice routine, but then it can sometimes become too much like a job and burn ya out.

EndGame00

Reaction score
I'm an absolute free-for-all if I'm just playing at home with no backing tracks...I play one thing, then something comes up, I play other one... If I put 2 and 2 together, it equals to 5... my playing made no fucking sense at all.. Back in the days, I could hang with other technical players with speed and precision, now I'm as sloppy as it gets....I just play for fun now, not to compete with anybody else....

end user

Reaction score
I'm an absolute free-for-all if I'm just playing at home with no backing tracks...I play one thing, then something comes up, I play other one... If I put 2 and 2 together, it equals to 5... my playing made no fucking sense at all.. Back in the days, I could hang with other technical players with speed and precision, now I'm as sloppy as it gets....I just play for fun now, not to compete with anybody else....

Yeah my buddy totally looks at guitar playing as a competition. I dont think I've ever seen him smile while playing either. On stage or at home.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Yeah my buddy totally looks at guitar playing as a competition. I dont think I've ever seen him smile while playing either. On stage or at home.

I used to play in a band with a guy like that, I learned a lot from him but he could be a total PITA..We would go out to watch other bands, and he would be constantly judging and badmouthing the guitarists- "He plays too clean, he needs more distortion." "He made a mistake there." "I can play that lead line wayyy better than that!" You get the idea. :noplease:

I would be like "Just shut up and enjoy the show, dammit!" :lol:

end user

Reaction score
I used to play in a band with a guy like that, I learned a lot from him but he could be a total PITA..We would go out to watch other bands, and he would be constantly judging and badmouthing the guitarists- "He plays too clean, he needs more distortion." "He made a mistake there." "I can play that lead line wayyy better than that!" You get the idea. :noplease:

You just described exactly what it's like for me to go see a band with him!

EndGame00

Reaction score
:facepalm:

The drummer in my first band was a lead guitar player on another band...We never considered ourselves in competition with one another...However, the other guitar player in his band was trying to compete and critique what I play, considering I only had 2 years of lead guitar playing experience back then, and the other guitarist in my band was very new to lead soloing as well... the death stares on my fretting hand looking for a slip-up:facepalm::lol:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Back when I had to try and be the lead guitarist, I would see them at every gig we played, a lot of times the same guys, and all I ever did was improvise the damm solo, because it was always out of my reach, and would just smile and play on! Cheers Mitch

DaDoc

Reaction score
Back when I had to try and be the lead guitarist, I would see them at every gig we played, a lot of times the same guys, and all I ever did was improvise the damm solo, because it was always out of my reach, and would just smile and play on! Cheers Mitch

That's what it's supposed to be about! Love of music and playing.

Competition has no place in music, aside from improving one's own playing IMHO.

Maybe the "competition" crowd has issues like not making the high school football team or something? :lol: