NAD….. what do?

• Thread starter chiliphil1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
So, I was browsing guitar center used and came across a DSL40C for $475. I looked at the picture and the amp in the picture was a 40CR. So, I snatched it up. I figure, that’s a good deal anyway you look at it.

Well, the amp showed up today and not only is it NOT a CR but just a normal C but it’s WHITE! It’s a limited run in white tolex, the amp in the photos was black.

So, I thought I snuck one over on them getting a CR for that price but it looks like they’ve snuck one over on me. So, I’m trying to contact the store to see what the deal is and if they’re willing to ship me the one in the photos, if not I can either keep it or return it. I’m not completely sure what to do, the CR had a lot of features that I wanted like the dual volumes, emulated out, better tone, etc but the C isn’t doing too bad. The 70/80 sucks but I have other speakers. It seems to be achieving the tone I’m looking for and an overdrive will get it where I really want it but I’m missing some features.

Not sure what to do, I’ll have to figure it out. I definitely do appreciate the white though, it’s nice.

Attachments

• IMG_7862.jpeg
    IMG_7862.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 13

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I hate wasting money shipping amps,
and they are heavy and easily damaged.
Seems very antisocial when ambulance services are struggling worldwide.

I would ask for a partial refund, or maybe a free pedal that has been returned or has a damaged box. You might get lucky.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the amp showed up today and not only is it NOT a CR but just a normal C but it’s WHITE! It’s a limited run in white tolex, the amp in the photos was black.
GC screws up photos all the time...
1703908750655.png
If you buy this DSL20HR online, you're not getting a Tele.
You probably got the amp they listed and the photo of the black CR was the mistake.
You could keep it or return it (local if applicable), and probably even get the shipping credited, but I doubt you'll get the black CR for that price because of the listing pic.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
So it is what was advertised, but they put the wrong pic on the ad? Seems like they should make it right, but it's GC so who knows.
^ This is all that needed to be said. As far as I'm concerned, that's the end of thread.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
So it is what was advertised, but they put the wrong pic on the ad? Seems like they should make it right, but it's GC so who knows.
The thing is, the white amp still has the bar code sticker on it and it doesn’t match the item number that I bought. I think they saw “oh, a dsl 40” and just grabbed one and boxed it. Technically, yes it matches the description but nothing said white and nothing said “no foot switch” I’m definitely not pleased with that part.
GC screws up photos all the time...
View attachment 142766
If you buy this DSL20HR online, you're not getting a Tele.
You probably got the amp they listed and the photo of the black CR was the mistake.
You could keep it or return it (local if applicable), and probably even get the shipping credited, but I doubt you'll get the black CR for that price because of the listing pic.
I agree but, I can’t help but be frustrated, how was I to know that it wasn’t a CR? How was I to know that it was white? I mean, I get that they don’t want to sell a CR for that price but, how do I know they didn’t have some kind of crazy mark down on this one?

On top of all of that it didn’t come with a foot switch and the speaker sounds like dog doo doo, not sure if that’s the 70/80 or if there’s a problem with it. I had to swap the speaker immediately because it was atrocious.

Hopefully they’ll answer the phone tomorrow and I can get some kind of resolution. At this point I wish I’d just kept the 5150 iconic I let go of a couple of months ago.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
The thing is, the white amp still has the bar code sticker on it and it doesn’t match the item number that I bought. I think they saw “oh, a dsl 40” and just grabbed one and boxed it. Technically, yes it matches the description but nothing said white and nothing said “no foot switch” I’m definitely not pleased with that part.

I agree but, I can’t help but be frustrated, how was I to know that it wasn’t a CR? How was I to know that it was white? I mean, I get that they don’t want to sell a CR for that price but, how do I know they didn’t have some kind of crazy mark down on this one?

On top of all of that it didn’t come with a foot switch and the speaker sounds like dog doo doo, not sure if that’s the 70/80 or if there’s a problem with it. I had to swap the speaker immediately because it was atrocious.

Hopefully they’ll answer the phone tomorrow and I can get some kind of resolution. At this point I wish I’d just kept the 5150 iconic I let go of a couple of months ago.

I can feel your frustration in this post. I wish you the best on getting this resolved.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
I can feel your frustration in this post. I wish you the best on getting this resolved.
I appreciate that. I don’t mean to come on here complaining. I swapped the speaker and tubes last night and got some workable sounds from it. I’ll need to get it out today and open it up to gig volume and see where I’m at, that’s really the only thing that matters is how it handles itself when louder. If it does what I need, I’m good. Really do love the white, I haven’t seen one of these before.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry you’re getting dicked around, @chiliphil1. This thread gives me uneasy feelings. Here’s why: I worked at a GC for about 9 years, 8 as a guitar tech. Working for a big corporation like GC can really suck, but it’s been hard to shake the indoctrination. Haha.

I worked with a great crew at my store, people who really cared about doing their jobs right. But not every store has that. As the tech, I saw a lot of guitars come back in horrible condition that were ordered from other stores. GC’s system with used gear ordering is definitely flawed, and stores with careless employees get to pass off difficulties to the store nearest the customer ordering the gear.

The former employee in me wants to see GC do well, and to get their stores in line to properly document and care for their used gear inventory. It would benefit all of us as customers, too.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Welp, I think this amp is a keeper. I did some swapping (speaker to G12T75, tubes to Ruby V1 and V2, JJ V3) and finally got a chance to get the volume up to about 3 tonight and I gotta say, it’s sounding good!

I find that I like lead 2 the best because its inherent thickness makes up for the fact that it’s a combo. If plugging into a cabinet I’d probably use lead 1. Running gain on about 2 with a boost out front the amp is nailing every tone I need for my band and by playing with the guitar volume and the boost I can get anywhere in the classic rock spectrum with just that channel. Now, I’m still trying to work out the foot switch, have not been able to contact the GC store yet but worst case I’ll buy a universal for $30.

Monday is the real test, if it hangs with the band and sounds good then she’s staying. I guess a somewhat negative experience turned out ok.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Finally was able to speak with guitar center today. They were extremely polite and helpful as it turns out, it was the wrong photo. The white amp that I received is the one that they were selling, the put a photo of a black one online and it was wrong. So, it’s either keep or return this one, I’ll know tomorrow for sure. They are also shipping me a foot switch since this one was missing.

All around a pretty good experience and I highly recommend guitar center El Paso. They are awesome!

nevermind

Reaction score
Welp, I think this amp is a keeper. I did some swapping (speaker to G12T75, tubes to Ruby V1 and V2, JJ V3) and finally got a chance to get the volume up to about 3 tonight and I gotta say, it’s sounding good!

I find that I like lead 2 the best because its inherent thickness makes up for the fact that it’s a combo. If plugging into a cabinet I’d probably use lead 1. Running gain on about 2 with a boost out front the amp is nailing every tone I need for my band and by playing with the guitar volume and the boost I can get anywhere in the classic rock spectrum with just that channel. Now, I’m still trying to work out the foot switch, have not been able to contact the GC store yet but worst case I’ll buy a universal for $30.

Monday is the real test, if it hangs with the band and sounds good then she’s staying. I guess a somewhat negative experience turned out ok.
I have a 40C and 40CR. I'd trust your instincts and get a CR when you find one...

Last edited: