NAD - SV20H

• Thread starter Gene Ballzz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
So after a couple weeks of daily use, both without and with a JohnH attenuator at all levels, this amp surprises me with new tones, versatility and other stuff every day!

Not only does it clean up nicely by turning down the guitar volume, it also even allows use of guitar volumes in the 2 to 4 range, without sounding like a blanket has been thrown over the speaker! Those kinds of volume levels really encourage the exploration of the wide variety of sounds in the middle pickup position on humbucker guitars as well as the myriad of tones available with single coil units.

All of this response and dynamic variety harken back, IMHO, more to the 100 watt 1959s than to the 50 and 40-ish watt 1987s and JTM45s, of which all were staples in my earlier years of Screechin' & Squawkin'! And while the 1959s supported this kind of use, that was not in my wheel house at that time of living between 7 & 10 on mostly the bridge pup volume on mostly Les Pauls.

With all that said, I've also lived for a while with an SC20H. I would put the comparison between the SV20 & SC20 as quite similar to the differences between 100 watt 1959s and 2203s, as opposed to the 50-ish watt variants!

When used judiciously and not depending on the amp for volume (basically finding it's sonic "sweet spot") and letting it run there, this amp is every bit of a big boy amp, simply at low volumes. I must say that given all/most reports/reviews, I'm surprised (not disappointed) that it's not a bit louder.

And yeah, the hands down winner in cabinet shootout is my '72, 1960B with 25 watt greenbacks and my 4x10, 1965B runs a very close second, although a bit quieter! And single 12, open backs can sound OKAY, but lack the girth of the 4x cabs!

While some claim the 5 watt setting to be whimpy, I find no real difference, other than volume, between 20 watts and 5 watts. And FWIW, I have not stomped on any sort of "boost box thingie" since getting this amp, not even for single coil Strats! :eek:

This Amp Rocks!
Gene

ken361

Reaction score
The SV can get a little thicker less Bright then the SC which I would take over it I own both. The SC seems like it needs more beef with some bigger transformers might help and a bit more gain which the Vintage Modern has more of. Would like to try a 50 watt 800.

Latest posts