• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Need advice on the orange th30h

• Thread starter Stratguy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stratguy

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a chance to pick up a practically new Orange TH30H
($1000.00 Canadian) I currently have a Marshall DSL 50 with 1960B cab loaded with greenbacks. Great sounding rig and certainly not going anywhere, but the biggest thing that I am curious about with the Orange is the capability to switch between 30 - 15 - 7 watts !!! Sounds like a great practise amp to me.

My biggest concern is that it is made in China. I played through a Marshall MA50 once (also made in China) and it was dreadful.

If there are any TH30H users out there that could give me some insight on this amp that would be appreciated. Is the gain channel noisy - require a noise gate maybe? Also what are the stock tubes like? Do they need to upgraded right away? Any advice would be helpful thx.

:slash:

Pat6969

Reaction score
You live in Canada? Where about? I have an Orange TH30.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Cool. The TH30 is a decent head. I think the build quality is excellent and sound is killer. Right out of the box it sounds great with the stock tubes, I never felt the need to change them. As far as noise, it's like any high gain head, crank the gain, get the noise. I always throw a Smart Gate in front of my high gainers which quiets everything perfect. I bought mine used in mint condition for $500. I always thought $1400 for it new was a little pricey but for $500 it's one hell of a nice head. I think there are better options for 1K, but that's just my opinion.

Stratguy

Reaction score
Yes I agree with you on the price its a bit much. This one is only a couple months old though and Long McQuade selling them for $1400.00. Still a bit much for something made in China. Think I will pass on this thx for the info.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, it's a fine amp head for sure. Build quality is excellent and sound is killer. The 2/4 tube switch and half power switch is great as well. I just find it hard to justify paying $1400 when I can buy an American or UK made head for a similar amount. The Chinese stuff has come a long way but I thought the whole reason for going off shore was to get to a better price point. 1K just seems a little steep for a used one.

SLA

Reaction score
seriosly dont do it ;) Get an used Rocker 30 if you want an great Orange amp but otherwise, you vill end upp still usíng youre Marshall..:cool:

Stratguy

Reaction score
Thx SLA - I already decided to shut this deal down. $1000.00 is to much for a used amp made in China I don't care who makes it !!!

Bigmuff

Reaction score
With virtually every amp I've tried with switchable wattage, I've found that reducing the wattage changes the tone and response of the amp more than the volume. Lower wattage yields a bit more compression and less headroom, at slightly quieter volumes. But even a 7 watt tube amp is going to be pretty loud. I have not played a TH30, but it's designed to be pretty high gain. I've heard it described as fuzzy too many times to be personally interested in it, but I'm sure there are great tones to be found in it.

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I have two Oranges, a MIB Rockerverb and a MIC OR15. In my opinion there are no noticeable differences in quality or construction or sound. I have looked at the internals of both.
I think the MIC OR15 actually sounds better than the Rockerverb, and the half power switch on the OR15 sounds awesome. I would not hesitate to pick another MIC Orange amp, from what I have seen they did them right.

Muovinen

Reaction score
Even if the TH30 went to 1W by a flip of a switch, it doesn't mean it would be quiet enough for home practise. It depends on the preamp type.

Latest posts