• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Need Help Deciding On My First Marshall

• Thread starter RG1985
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirTolik

Reaction score
That’s what I did: bought a dsl15c, tsl100 and JCM800 2005. I also considered that an amp should be able to play quietly cause i live in a multi-appartment house with brick but still not thick walls. All three can be loud. But with more powerful amps I got a tone which I liked much better than the one of dsl15 even on the same level of loudness in the room

Rickrevs

Reaction score
i think people need to be carefull...40cr is the new one...40c is the old one...ive seen the old ones on ebay used quoting the new model price new to try and bump up the price....40c is cheap new (old stock) and used... but the cr is top dollar dont be fooled into getting the old one thinking your getting a bargain

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Get the 40CR not the 40C. 15% off right now on the phone not online at all the big box stores.

Hudman_1

Reaction score
I'm new to the forums, and have only owned a Crate GFX212 but always wanted a Marshall. Now I have the funds available, but cannot decide what I need. I tried out a DSL40C at a local shop, but quickly realized that 40 tube watts is way to loud for my solo basement jam-a-long sessions Hahaha. Just needing some advice from those of you who have used various size combos. I'd like something I can crank up to get the great tube sound but not loud enough to wake the neighbors!

I bought a DSL 20CR last week. I love it. It is an amazing amp. Very versatile. Super warm. Tons of rich distortion. Nice clean tones. Perfect for bedroom level volume but can get loud when needed. It’s a keeper.

Surecatch

Reaction score
If you have the means to get the DSL40....get the DSL 40. I play mine in the basement all the time without really having to get out of control. I haven't read through this thread yet, so this may have been mentioned, but the DSL40 also has a pentode/diode switch on the back which can reduce the output to 20W. Although this ends up having more to do with headroom than it does about volume, the tubes do break up quicker in the 20W mode.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Tonight I was practicing with my DSL40C at my usual 85-90ish db and someone came in and asked me to tone it down so they could nap. hmph. So i turned it down to 73ish db and played on. Could talk over it. It still sounded way better than it should. A bit of body lost, but still sounded like a Marshall should. Later I was asked if I played my Katana Mini because they didn't hear a thing. Nope. 40 watt EL34 Marshall.

RG1985

Reaction score
A little update for anyone who might be wondering: ended up getting the e-1000fm for Father's Day thanks to my wife, and she's still bitching about the $850 price tag even though it didn't make a dent in the bank account lol great guitar for the money. The jazz bass and '59 pickups so great and almost plays as good as my 2002 LP Standard Plus. I think I'll let her cool off a little before telling her I still need the Marshall. I'm currently looking at used ones to see if i can find a good price drop compared to the $550 new one at the shop

EndGame00

Reaction score
I have neighbors complain how loud my 25-watt Plexi clone can get and I'm not even pushing it past 2...it can be heard two houses down....

RG1985

Reaction score

Well I pulled the trigger! Honestly sounds way better in my basement than it did in the store. Had it "cranked" all the way to 4! thought man this thing really cooks, then realized I had it switched in half power mode, saw the error of my ways and flipped the switch... I'm addicted now. All I want is more loud and this amp has plenty of it to give. I've kept everything in the EQ at noon, gain at 9 o'clock and I just can't get enough

EDIT: nevermind the Christmas tree... my wife refuses to put it away

brando69

Reaction score
Dsl5, its a great little amp. Its even better if u do some simple mods. Its loud as hell for a small amp, but great at low volume too. It handles pedals good in front and in the loop also.

Rob Bottom

Reaction score
holy shit man. That's gold!

LOL! I just recently bought the purple Vintage Modern.

I got the DSL40c right before the new ones came out. It is a good amp for the money. I've used it with a couple jams with some friends and it easily plays with a drummer. But compared to the 2266, mama mia, that VM is creamy and delicious. I like the single channel clean, then I run all my pedals through the front. The Mojomojo O/D and Tubescreamer are great through it. What I don't get is that some pedals sound worse through the VM but sound ok with the DSL. I have an EHX Lester G pedal and it's great with the DSL, you can really hear the effect, but with the VM you can barely hear the effect and it kind of muddies up the tone. I'm trying to figure it out but so far it's not working.

The DSL can be a little brittle sounding but it very usable. I've always wanted that classic Marshall sound and I read that Paul Gilbert and Robin Trower used them, so I picked one up used, $50 less than the DSL new.

Even as a bass player I liked amps that were simple and didn't have a lot of EQ. My bass amp is the first series Mesa Boogie D-800. Great amp, great sound, especially with the Alembic Essence.

RG1985

Reaction score
I've been looking at the vintage modern lately, unfortunately no shops around here have one in stock to play with