need some recommendations for power-amp pedals

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
just to be clear... I am not talking about "amp-in-a-box" pedals, or pre-amp pedals.

I am talking about POWER AMP pedals. I need a pedal that I can literally put after my pedal board, run a speaker cable from the output, and go right into a speaker cab, and be powerful enough to use in a full band context.

there's lots of them out there... Seymour Duncan makes those Powerstage power amp pedals that are supposed to be really good. they're just a tad bit more than what I need, plus they're a little out of my price range.

I want one that I can use as a back-up in case my main amp either craps out on me, OR if I have to take my amp to a tech to get worked on, which is what I'm getting ready to to next week. I will be without it for at least 2 weeks, maybe 3.

I actually have the Mooer BabyBomb30 that I use to play at home with my 2x12 Marshall cab. I just don't know if that will be powerful enough to use with my 4x12 cab when I'm at band practice. I play with 4 other guys - drums, bass, vocals, and 2nd guitar... I'm thinking I need something that is somewhere in the range of 60 to 80 watts. I don't really need anything more powerful than that, AND I'd really like to keep it under $200.

the one that I've been considering is the Hotone Loudster, which I believe puts out 75 watts at 4 ohms. can anyone recommend any others?

Last edited:

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Pat Quilter is the King of Pedal Board Power Amps !!
the Quilter Superblock pedals are only 25 watts, and the Interblock is only 45 watts - I already have a Mooer BabyBomb30 (30 watts), and I was looking for something much more powerful... plus, they cost more than what I was looking to pay - I'm looking for something that is under $200.

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Quilter Superblock pedals are only 25 watts, and the Interblock is only 45 watts - I already have a Mooer BabyBomb30 (30 watts), and I was looking for something much more powerful... plus, they cost more than what I was looking to pay - I'm looking for something that is under $200.
I guess I can’t help there …… I did build this a couple years ago and it gets a lot of use !!
Each unit is - 75w into 4 / 40w into 8 / 20w into 16 respectively ……
1676927260891.jpeg

Last edited:

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
I
Electro Harmonix 44 Magnum.
if I didn't already have the Mooer BabyBomb30, I would probably get this, but I don't know if this would be worth my money, since it would only be 14 watts more than the pedal I have now. I was really hoping to get something that is somewhere in the 60 to 80 watt range.

Last edited:

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
I

if I didn't already have the Mooer BabyBomb30, I might get this, but I don't know if this would be worth my money, since it would only be 14 watts more than the pedal I have now. I was really hoping to get something that is somewhere in the 60 to 80 watt range.
Honestly I’m not sure if there’s anything with that much power (and low price) in a pedal sized package. The 44 Mag has a big power brick like a laptop. It’s plenty loud trust me, I ran my Helix floor into it and then to a 4x12, I kept up just fine with my lead guitarists 100 watt tube amp in a loud rock band.

I’ve also got a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200 and it’s plenty loud also, but at 4x the cost.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Honestly I’m not sure if there’s anything with that much power (and low price) in a pedal sized package. The 44 Mag has a big power brick like a laptop. It’s plenty loud trust me, I ran my Helix floor into it and then to a 4x12, I kept up just fine with my lead guitarists 100 watt tube amp in a loud rock band.

I’ve also got a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200 and it’s plenty loud also, but at 4x the cost.
I believe you that the Magnum44 is super loud, and yes, the Mooer BabyBomb has the same exact type of power supply. so I'm familiar with it. I just don't think its worth spending my money on this, since its only 14 watts more than what I already have. I was really hoping to find something that is at least 60 watts or more (that is under $200).

and yes, I'm familiar with the Seymour Duncan products.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
To split your signal, something like an MXR 10-Band EQ would do the trick, and have a use too.
But I can also recommend a TC Electronic Mimiq Doubler.
That has a real stereo presence. The double tracking effect is brilliant.

Last edited:

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I have never used a Harley Benton GPA-100, but it is cheaper than a saloon haircut.

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
I have never used a Harley Benton GPA-100, but it is cheaper than a saloon haircut.
OK... so now, what's the general consensus on this thing? is it worth the low price tag? or will it sh*t the bed soon after I get it?
I know the Harley Benton stuff is notorious for being in the "you get what you pay for" ballpark.

what I want to know is - how does this compare to the Hotone Loudster power amp pedal, in the context of build quality? this is the one that is my current contender that I have my eye on.

Last edited:

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
OK... so now, what's the general consensus on this thing? is it worth the low price tag? or will it sh*t the bed soon after I get it?
I know the Harley Benton stuff is notorious for being in the "you get what you pay for" ballpark.

what I want to know is - how does this compare to the Hotone Loudster power amp pedal, in the context of build quality? this is the one that is my current contender that I have my eye on.
Their stuff is supposed to be decent BUT on that one check voltage, it may require 230V

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Their stuff is supposed to be decent BUT on that one check voltage, it may require 230V
OK, in that case, I'm thinking that the Harley Benton GPA-100 is out... so then in my mind, right now the Hotone Loudster is the current one to beat. can anyone else recommend something that is of similar or better build quality, similar power output (60 to 80 watt range), and for under 200 bucks?

Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
This one from HB might be better suited to the US market:

You might not get the full 2x50W into 4 ohms with a 412 that is 8 + 8 ohms in stereo (if I understand it correctly).

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey @GibsonMarshallGuy47, how much louder do you need to be? 60watts will only give you 3 more dB than the 30 watt amp. What speakers are you using? It might be worthwhile to look at speakers with higher sensitivity. Just a thought. Good luck, man!

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Hey @GibsonMarshallGuy47, how much louder do you need to be? 60watts will only give you 3 more dB than the 30 watt amp. What speakers are you using? It might be worthwhile to look at speakers with higher sensitivity. Just a thought. Good luck, man!
I would be using it with a 4x12 Marshall JCM900 cab (1960A, I think)... it has two GT12-75's and two V30's in an X-Pattern.
and by the way, the one that I'm thinking about getting is the Hotone Loudster, which I believe is 75 watts into 4 Ohms, if I'm not mistaken.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be using it with a 4x12 Marshall JCM900 cab (1960A, I think)... it has two GT12-75's and two V30's in an X-Pattern.
and by the way, the one that I'm thinking about getting is the Hotone Loudster, which I believe is 75 watts into 4 Ohms, if I'm not mistaken.
Carvin makes a pedal amp that’s 50w/50w stereo into 8 ohms, which would work into a 1960 set to stereo. They’re on sale for $169 right now.
https://carvinaudio.com/products/mach100-100w-pedal-amplifier

Karl West

Reaction score
just to be clear... I am not talking about "amp-in-a-box" pedals, or pre-amp pedals.

I am talking about POWER AMP pedals. I need a pedal that I can literally put after my pedal board, run a speaker cable from the output, and go right into a speaker cab, and be powerful enough to use in a full band context.

there's lots of them out there... Seymour Duncan makes those Powerstage power amp pedals that are supposed to be really good. they're just a tad bit more than what I need, plus they're a little out of my price range.

I want one that I can use as a back-up in case my main amp either craps out on me, OR if I have to take my amp to a tech to get worked on, which is what I'm getting ready to to next week. I will be without it for at least 2 weeks, maybe 3.

I actually have the Mooer BabyBomb30 that I use to play at home with my 2x12 Marshall cab. I just don't know if that will be powerful enough to use with my 4x12 cab when I'm at band practice. I play with 4 other guys - drums, bass, vocals, and 2nd guitar... I'm thinking I need something that is somewhere in the range of 60 to 80 watts. I don't really need anything more powerful than that, AND I'd really like to keep it under $200.

the one that I've been considering is the Hotone Loudster, which I believe puts out 75 watts at 4 ohms. can anyone recommend any others?
Carvin Mach100. They should be on sale for 169 and it runs mono or stereo.