• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

New 2525H sound different at home vs. in store?

• Thread starter blackstrat13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Mine came w Tung Sols as well.
OP, you now see where your position to amp makes a big difference to how they sound.
I use Gain on usually 8 to 10 as well, Lead channel. Clip is irrelevant for lead channel. It is to "clip" the rhythm channel thus the term rhythm clip.
I use an OD with just level but no gain up front sometimes for solos.

Moony

Reaction score
Mine came w Tung Sols as well.

Thanks a lot for this!

To be honest, when the Mini Jube was launched I personally didn't like it that much because it has very prominent mids that can sound a bit honky/boxy.
I posted that impression back then on a German forum too.

When I tried several brands of new production EL34 power tubes a while ago to see which ones I'm stocking up I also noticed that the Tung Sols have very strong mids and a somewhat recessed low end. The JJ EL34II sounded beefier, more "organic" and had a bigger low end. Overall I liked them better than Tung Sol or EH EL34.

Now recognizing that probably a lot of the early Mini Jubes were shipped out with Tung Sols makes me want to revisit that amp as newer produced ones have the JJs in the power amp as you can see here. They probably will sound better to my ears.

Of course that's a matter of taste. Any brand of tubes will work fine and you should stay with what YOU like the best. :)

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for this!

To be honest, when the Mini Jube was launched I personally didn't like it that much because it has very prominent mids that can sound a bit honky/boxy.
I posted that impression back then on a German forum too.

When I tried several brands of new production EL34 power tubes a while ago to see which ones I'm stocking up I also noticed that the Tung Sols have very strong mids and a somewhat recessed low end. The JJ EL34II sounded beefier, more "organic" and had a bigger low end. Overall I liked them better than Tung Sol or EH EL34.

Now recognizing that probably a lot of the early Mini Jubes were shipped out with Tung Sols makes me want to revisit that amp as newer produced ones have the JJs in the power amp as you can see here. They probably will sound better to my ears.

Of course that's a matter of taste. Any brand of tubes will work fine and you should stay with what YOU like the best. :)
To be fair, mine was a Mini Jubilee before they were called Studios. I find the Jubilee can be very bass heavy to begin with and seems good to me. Doesn't quite beef up to the 1987 50 watt 2x12 Jubilee, understandably.

Moony

Reaction score
To be fair, mine was a Mini Jubilee before they were called Studios.

Yes the ones I was talking about were also from the first year of production (2016).

I've bought a few JVMs also in 2014 and 2015.
The 2014 ones came with Winged =C=, the 2015 one s (late 2015) had the JJs in the power amp.
That's why I thought the Mini Jube had also JJs right from the beginning.
Maybe Marshall had a lot of Tung Sols left that weren't matched for quartetts but duets, I don't know.

I'm also not sure how big the influence of power tubes is with that low wattage design when they don't drive the tubes too hard.
But it never hurts to try it out as having a set of spare tubes is always recommended.

Old Punker

Reaction score
Could be the sum of all the issues the other members have mentioned. Most music stores have large rooms with high ceilings and carpeted floors, etc., whereas our houses are much smaller spaces. You may have been playing at a different volume at the store, which can also have a huge impact. You mentioned using modelers in the past. With real amps your end result will be from the interaction of your guitar + effects + amp + cab(s) + volume + room...

The last time I reorganized my music room I moved my amps from along one wall to further into the room along a different wall and facing another direction. The first time I powered up I thought "Holy shit! What did I do to my amps when I moved them?" The answer was I didn't do anything to the amps but moving them completely changed the way they sounded. After dialing in the amps again and a couples of weeks of getting used to the new sound it was all good. Weird.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Celestion G12M Greenback instead of the V30 for smaller rooms. The V30 tends to be harsher on the ears, but more punchy at bigger venues. The Greenback will tame all that down for you and make it sound more like a Marshall again.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I should also add Celestion G12 M Greenback for amps 25W and under or a Creamback for 65W and under.

blackstrat13

Reaction score
Made a very short clip of MXT Timmy into the amp. The guitar is PRS with bareknuckle polymath and MXR 10-band EQ is in the FX loop. The Timmy is much much better than the SD-1. I'm happy with the tone now, thanks a lot for the input folks.

Reaction score
Could be the sum of all the issues the other members have mentioned. Most music stores have large rooms with high ceilings and carpeted floors, etc., whereas our houses are much smaller spaces. You may have been playing at a different volume at the store, which can also have a huge impact. You mentioned using modelers in the past. With real amps your end result will be from the interaction of your guitar + effects + amp + cab(s) + volume + room...

The last time I reorganized my music room I moved my amps from along one wall to further into the room along a different wall and facing another direction. The first time I powered up I thought "Holy shit! What did I do to my amps when I moved them?" The answer was I didn't do anything to the amps but moving them completely changed the way they sounded. After dialing in the amps again and a couples of weeks of getting used to the new sound it was all good. Weird.

The best post in this thread, only useful.

Reaction score
I have always found I like the son d quality better if I am in front of the amp, especially if speakers are pointing forward my head. Standing partially to the side, or a small cab down on the floor, the sound starts to muffle and isn't as bright or crisp.

dro

Reaction score
Not just amps, but music in general will sound different in every different environment you put it in.
A sound system tuned for this venue, will feed back like crazy in that venue.
So it must be tuned to the room.
Same holds true with an amp.
2525h is a good sounding amp. Though it does have it's own thing.
Just like the other 20 watt stuff Marshal makes. The do sound good.
But not quite like their bigger counterparts.