New Amp Day - BluGuitar Amp1 Mercury Addition

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've been looking at these for years and should have gotten one when used prices were cheap, so I paid a little more than I wanted but well worth it! I recently joined a band that doesnt use amps so that was the motivator to get this now. Very quickly dialed in a couple tones I needed in 2 of the channels and good to go. Sounds great, has much functionality to expand it any way you need, I think all I need is the stock configuration I'm a simple player. So I have an edge of breakup tone dialed into the clean channel and a lead tone dialed into the classic channel, theres also a vintage and modern channel I'm not using right now, also have a boost dialed into each channel to color the tone a bit more, also have the reverb dialed in about half way, great tones! This amp has a total of 4 channels you can dial in and setup to be foot switchable. One complaint is the vintage channel doesnt have any custom controls like the other channels for further tweaking but I got the classic channel working for me instead which is fine, another complaint is the overdrive channel volume max's out I'd like to be able to get it a bit louder for a better lead volume boost but its not terrible, I'll have to try it in a live situation to see. Other functions the amp has I like is half power to 50 watts, and a global low gain function, and a custom channel setup, I may not use these features cuz the stock config works and sounds good as is. I'm running it through a creamback 2x12 at home but will plug it directly into my band's IEM system at practice. Highly recommend :yesway:

ZucLhm5.jpg

Last edited:

mark123

Reaction score
I’ve been eyeballing one of these since last years Black Friday sales. I think they sound amazing.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Cool man. I've been curious about those myself. Let us know how it goes at in a mix.

Enjoy! :dude:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I've been looking at these for years and should have gotten one when used prices were cheap, so I paid a little more than I wanted but well worth it! I recently joined a band that doesnt use amps so that was the motivator to get this now. Very quickly dialed in a couple tones I needed in 2 of the channels and good to go. Sounds great, has much functionality to expand it any way you need, I think all I need is the stock configuration I'm a simple player. So I have an edge of breakup tone dialed into the clean channel and a lead tone dialed into the classic channel, theres also a vintage and modern channel I'm not using right now, also have a boost dialed into each channel to color the tone a bit more, also have the reverb dialed in about half way, great tones! This amp has a total of 4 channels you can dial in and setup to be foot switchable. One complaint is the vintage channel doesnt have any custom controls like the other channels for further tweaking but I got the classic channel working for me instead which is fine, another complaint is the overdrive channel volume max's out I'd like to be able to get it a bit louder for a better lead volume boost but its not terrible, I'll have to try it in a live situation to see. Other functions the amp has I like is half power to 50 watts, and a global low gain function, and a custom channel setup, I may not use these features cuz the stock config works and sounds good as is. I'm running it through a creamback 2x12 at home but will plug it directly into my band's IEM system at practice. Highly recommend :yesway:

ZucLhm5.jpg
The stock 3 footswitch does not work at all for me so I opted for the Remote 1 switch. It has a volume boost as well, I agree, there isn't quite enough range on the unit stock.
There are workarounds...
Adding another 2 button switch should cover most switching but mine didn't seem to work as it should. Not sure. I just used the remote 1.
They do indeed sound really good, I still need a cabinet behind me and this sure does the trick. Mine is the Iridium.
Cheers

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The stock 3 footswitch does not work at all for me so I opted for the Remote 1 switch. It has a volume boost as well, I agree, there isn't quite enough range on the unit stock.
There are workarounds...
Adding another 2 button switch should cover most switching but mine didn't seem to work as it should. Not sure. I just used the remote 1.
They do indeed sound really good, I still need a cabinet behind me and this sure does the trick. Mine is the Iridium.
Cheers
Yes I tried the outboard 2 button switch to add clean and reverb on/off. I realize now the Vintage channel is supposed to be a rythm channel and the other gain channels lead. But that limits me from using it as a lead channel with the Clean channel which is now louder than the Vintage cuz I have the Clean channel volume dimed to get edge of breakup. Limitations I need to figure out how to work around. It would be nice if the Vintage channel had controls on the side like the other channels.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yes I tried the outboard 2 button switch to add clean and reverb on/off. I realize now the Vintage channel is supposed to be a rythm channel and the other gain channels lead. But that limits me from using it as a lead channel with the Clean channel which is now louder than the Vintage cuz I have the Clean channel volume dimed to get edge of breakup. Limitations I need to figure out how to work around. It would be nice if the Vintage channel had controls on the side like the other channels.
Try boost on clean for edge of breakup?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Try boost on clean for edge of breakup?
Heres my settings:

clean: Clean channel volume 8. Boost on (boost on side at 2 oclock) gives me edge of breakup

dirty: I wanted to use the Vintage but theres no volume boost for that channel, and now my clean channel is louder than the Vintage. So Im using the Classic channel, gain on 3, side volume dial dimed for volume boost, side tone knob off. Boost on. EQ set to 7 all dials on top.

reverb: set to 5

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
@Jethro Rocker I'm tweaking and experimenting with it, the one thing I dont like is I can dime the clean channel and dime the vintage channel volumes and the clean channel is way louder, I dont understand why they did this. :scratch:

Bottom line the vintage channel is designed to be a rhythm channel only that cant be used with the clean channel unless the clean channel is set truly clean. Not a good design, its killing the flexibility! I never use a true clean for anything.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
@Jethro Rocker I'm tweaking and experimenting with it, the one thing I dont like is I can dime the clean channel and dime the vintage channel volumes and the clean channel is way louder, I dont understand why they did this. :scratch:

Bottom line the vintage channel is designed to be a rhythm channel only that cant be used with the clean channel unless the clean channel is set truly clean. Not a good design, its killing the flexibility! I never use a true clean for anything.
set clean volume lower on control panel? Remember a shared gain between all channels can be a compromise. Try Vintage channel for crunch break up? Still 2 channels left and a boost. Why isnt Vintage channel fine for that?
Also , with 4 channels forget clean. Try tbe Boost function too to get more gain on Classic for solos?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I used my Classic channel for solos too.
I guess with 4 channels, having channel 1 be soley for clean is kind of expected to me.
Seems like Vintage woild be a good break up channel amd classic or modern for solos w boost?

I rarely use clean amd never use edge of breakup. Mine is the Iridium and gain is around 8. I am a high gain and I find it versatile enough although the Remote 1 switch sure helps.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
This amp switches between 50 and 100 watts but it doesnt show you which one youre on. I'd like to put a meter on this so I absolutely know Im in 50 watt mode before I connect it to a low watt speaker. Who can explain to me how to take this measurement?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
This amp switches between 50 and 100 watts but it doesnt show you which one youre on. I'd like to put a meter on this so I absolutely know Im in 50 watt mode before I connect it to a low watt speaker. Who can explain to me how to take this measurement?
Can you set volume lower, do the setting for 50 watt and see if it gets quieter or louder?

Dgd73

Reaction score
I don't own any of these but I was curious about them and found a couple links that may help you.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I don't own any of these but I was curious about them and found a couple links that may help you.

Yeah I read these, I want to check with a meter...

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I dont hear a difference...
Hmm. Should be 3 dB but perhaps it is most noticeable only at full volume ie - it is capable of 50 instead of 100 at full doesn't mean it will be 3dB linear thru the whole range.

I don't know. Do a reset then set it to the 50 watt mode? What speaker? It's also only an issue if up loud enough to put stress on that speaker.

I see much of the info is in the links above. I would reset then set to 50

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hmm. Should be 3 dB but perhaps it is most noticeable only at full volume ie - it is capable of 50 instead of 100 at full doesn't mean it will be 3dB linear thru the whole range.

I don't know. Do a reset then set it to the 50 watt mode? What speaker? It's also only an issue if up loud enough to put stress on that speaker.

I see much of the info is in the links above. I would reset then set to 50
Once I turned volume up loud enough I could hear volume difference between 50 and 100 watt. :yesway:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I had an idea, the Amp1 has a headphone/record output, I was thinking of getting a wireless in ear monitor to stick in there. This way I can control the volume to my ear the same time I'm cranking the amp through a speaker in the room when Im in a band mix. Anyone else try this?

I have a Zoom multi-effects pedal with two outputs I can do the same thing, plugged into any amp for that matter.

I'm looking at the Xvive U4 IEM. :yesway:

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I just got a creamback65 in the mail this week for the BluGuitar Amp1, I put it in the 1912 cab I built. I also figured out a good configuration to overcome the shortcomings of this amp, I have clean with boost engaged for a dirty clean (just the way I like it), and the classic channel with boost engaged for my gain channel (Marshall tone), roll the guitar volume back for crunch. Then I have an LPB1 in the loop for lead volume boost. Now I got all the tones and functionality I wanted in this rig! :yesway:

VziOFCz.jpg

Last edited: