New Dsl40cr Or New Evh 5150 Iii 50w?

Which one is the better option?

• Total voters

Iwanarock

Reaction score
Thanks Saxon i just saw the posts about this mod on the Gear Page where you were very informative in those post.
I am with you depending on price of mod with Labor when released i will either mod or sell my existing 5150iii and buy the new model.

My only other thought is maybe selling my 5150iii all together since it rarely gets used because of the volume jump, then selling my JVM 410H and using all the money to buy a new JVM 410JS. My problem with that is i like some things on the 410H and some things on the 410JS. But at the moment leaning towards keeping my 410H if the mod is cheap enough on the 5150iii. Decisions Decisions.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Thanks Saxon i just saw the posts about this mod on the Gear Page where you were very informative in those post.
I am with you depending on price of mod with Labor when released i will either mod or sell my existing 5150iii and buy the new model.

My only other thought is maybe selling my 5150iii all together since it rarely gets used because of the volume jump, then selling my JVM 410H and using all the money to buy a new JVM 410JS. My problem with that is i like some things on the 410H and some things on the 410JS. But at the moment leaning towards keeping my 410H if the mod is cheap enough on the 5150iii. Decisions Decisions.

You can manage the volume jump in other ways. I use a Boss MS-3 as multi effects and MIDI control for channel changes, I cut the output of the blue patches to match green volume and it works fine. I found that trying to boost green to match blue only distorted the clean channel.

LCW

Reaction score
The new 50 watt combo with concentric pots is 999. same as the previous generation. They've got them on Zzounds, just search EVH 6L6

Sure but I would have needed a cab with that. A head by itself is useless lol. Head is 999. Matching cab is 499.

saxon68

Reaction score
Sure but I would have needed a cab with that. A head by itself is useless lol. Head is 999. Matching cab is 499.

You don't need the matching cab :) My 1x12 was about 350 with a V30 and my Peavey 5150 cab was about 200, try to get one of the '92 models if possible, you can validate by the serial numbers. They changed the speakers after that year. Damn Ted Nugent is trying to buy them all up :p

Crunchifyable

Reaction score
Yeah either can. But the 5153 will. Without much effort.

That's what I like and dislike about 5150 amps. They are so effortless. They are like the apple I-phones of metal guitar amps. Plug in. Add optional tubescreamer (not a necessity but some people like it for the "tight" filtering. Play. Done. You don't get a lot of Choices like a JVM or a JSX, but you get three pretty hard to beat sounds that don't really take effort to dial in.

Thru V30s or Greenbacks is instant metal. Instant hard rock (probably competitive with the JVM as far as tone goes).

Kutt

Reaction score
Get an EVH and put a 12AY7 in V1. She will lean just a tad in the Marshall direction and tame the overwhelming amount of gain.

saxon68

Reaction score
That's what I like and dislike about 5150 amps. They are so effortless. They are like the apple I-phones of metal guitar amps. Plug in. Add optional tubescreamer (not a necessity but some people like it for the "tight" filtering. Play. Done. You don't get a lot of Choices like a JVM or a JSX, but you get three pretty hard to beat sounds that don't really take effort to dial in.

Thru V30s or Greenbacks is instant metal. Instant hard rock (probably competitive with the JVM as far as tone goes).

I run my blue channel gain at about ten o’clock and it’s an awesome classic crunch. It’s not all metal, but man it responds to the way you attack the strings.

Crunchifyable

Reaction score
I run my blue channel gain at about ten o’clock and it’s an awesome classic crunch. It’s not all metal, but man it responds to the way you attack the strings.

That's kinda what I do with my 6262. I've got the lead on like 10 o clock and the rhythm on half, and on crunch its very much Van Halen / Iron Maiden Marshally sound. The lead is even more fluid of a sound.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score

Antmax

Reaction score
Yeah, I wish there were cabinets for more models. Most marshall type cabinets aren't convertible from a combo to head because the tubes all hang down in the combos. DSL40 seems to be the only one with a head conversion available. Probably because it is such a popular workhorse amp.

BftGibson

Reaction score
Everytime I see BFT's DSL40HR head, it makes me want to convert my dsl40cr.
I love the speaker in the new CR, but a HR would look good on top my 412, and probably sound even better.
yeah man..i have some great amps and that DSL40cr is the sweet spot of amps for me...i dialed my main rhythym tone in to my best plexi crunch 1st channel and really messed with the Ultra and EQ and both red and green modes can be classic metal and red gets me modern but with the anti mesa-peavey and it is very good.. play hard rock to metal and when i jam with my chugga chugga friends , i can hang and the DSL just sings and growls.compared to a 1 trick recto sound. there is times for both sounds but i seriously can gig any genre with DSL..key tho was ..my cabs

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
My evh lbx ii is the extremely versatile and gets me all the tones I need ( I don't need many ) . I put an eq and gate in the loop and a tube screamer and 5150 od in front . I set the clean channel master on 10 and gain at 3 , dirt channel master 3 and gain 4 eq settings all at 5 and eq to taste with eq pedal in the loop . The tube screamer I use to cut the volume slightly on the dirt channel and tighten it up for heavy riffage and turn it off for boosted leads . The clean channel is petty clean with a hint of breakup when hitting strings hard , I set the 5150 od to give me AC/DC crunch . Some will say this is a very odd approach but it works great .

BftGibson

Reaction score
My evh lbx ii is the extremely versatile and gets me all the tones I need ( I don't need many ) . I put an eq and gate in the loop and a tube screamer and 5150 od in front . I set the clean channel master on 10 and gain at 3 , dirt channel master 3 and gain 4 eq settings all at 5 and eq to taste with eq pedal in the loop . The tube screamer I use to cut the volume slightly on the dirt channel and tighten it up for heavy riffage and turn it off for boosted leads . The clean channel is petty clean with a hint of breakup when hitting strings hard , I set the 5150 od to give me AC/DC crunch . Some will say this is a very odd approach but it works great .
i just messed with 5150 more, just getting to know it. it is so tight, i mean prob the most controllable gain i ever worked with. Some EQ tweaks and i think we are going to work it in...crzy thing is, got it for my rhytym player..lucky bastard..a 5150 4x12 rig..hey at least we will sound good..dsl on one side 5150 on other and Ampeg fridge holding down the bottom..my neighbors love me, i will post some pics once the CD is done and band room is decorated

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
OK I have clips of my DSL40C with stock speaker, and my EVH

DSL40C, all stock, no effects except the onboard reverb)

EVH 5150 (1x12, slight boost with the guvnor OD in my MS3, tuned down)

And for contrast, here is my Katana 50 combo which is another GREAT option especially for bedroom levels, and they're about 200 new, you can have 4 channels using the bank system they released with the last firmware update, and sneaky amps unlocks even more models, this would absolutely be my home only rig:

I think all 3 amps are great in their own way, all cut great in a band mix, but if I was doing home use only, the Katana would be it for me.

Saxon. All 3 of your clips sound great, but I have to agree with Flying guitars ,as I liked the 40c the best, (not trying to be biased) because I own the 40c’s

saxon68

Reaction score
Saxon. All 3 of your clips sound great, but I have to agree with Flying guitars ,as I liked the 40c the best, (not trying to be biased) because I own the 40c’s

It’s all good bro!

I’ve actually moved all 3 of those amps.

Sold the DSL at a time when money was tight and I wasn’t playing out.
Traded the Katana 50 for a 4x12 for the EVH.
Swapped the EVH for a Jackson guitar a couple days ago.

I’m running helix into a super tiny power amp (stomp box sized) then into whichever cab is correct for the room. That gives me tons of amp options and it’s consistent from room to room. Also gives me the ability to run into PC for recording.

I pretty much sound like me with whatever I play on, just different tonal colors.

saxon68

Reaction score
Cool as long as you keep playing and are happy with your tone package, all is good:agreed:

Yeah I’m really happy now. I kept the EVH for about 5 months to be sure I was ok without it, did a couple gigs with just the helix rig and both went great.

Bonus is if I want to have a Marshall-y sound I load up a Marshall model, etc. I’m gigging with the Soldano model right now :)
I might get the new power cab line 6 has. I hate to sound like a fanboy but they’re pressing all the right buttons for me now.