NEW - Gibson Dark Walnut Collection

• Thread starter fitz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
Something about the fake copies never sits well with me -particularly being so out of style in this era.

I have the real “brown M&Ms” from the 1970s.

full
Damn!! These look great man!!

telemarshall

Reaction score
Long ago I had a '79 ES-335 in walnut. Should have kept that one.
Still kicking myself for passing on a bandmate's '72 walnut 335 (with the rare "Gibson"-embossed T-Tops) when he offered to sell it to me for $1200, 6-7 years ago..
NZ7Vh7X.gif

So he put it on the local Craigslist for $1500, and it sold immediately of course...

0MKOllC.jpg

LaIj7qO.jpg

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Still kicking myself for passing on a bandmate's '72 walnut 335 (with the rare "Gibson"-embossed T-Tops) when he offered to sell it to me for $1200, 6-7 years ago..
NZ7Vh7X.gif

So he put it on the local Craigslist for $1500, and it sold immediately of course...

0MKOllC.jpg

LaIj7qO.jpg
$1500??!!!!

$1500???!!!!

Holy sh..

It was worth a bit more than that even then. I'd have bought that instantly.

jmp45

Reaction score
They offered walnut stain and cherry stain back in the late 50’s to late 70’sI had a walnut stained ‘69 SG Standard and a cherry stained ‘68 which was redundant for me in the 80’s and I sold the ‘69 but still have the ‘68 in cherry stain.

I think Gibson is just re-introducing the Walnut stain as some sort of play on the vintage vibe.

View attachment 156034

I originally wanted the walnut stain SG in 68 but the Cherry batwing exactly like yours was in the stock. I miss that guitar, a club owner stole it in the 70s I found out 2 years after.

ElvisNixon

Reaction score
I got your dark walnut SG right here.
1971 SG 200, my first Gibson, notice the 90 deg edges and single coil pups . . .
My friends referred to it as "the tree trunk"View attachment 156188

Very cool and interesting SG! I played SG’s on stage and when I got the Cherry stain ‘68, I played it or my ‘59 LP Junior also in cherry stain when I figured out that If I played 2 sets with my big hands, my hands would start to cramp. Got the Junior with it’s chunky ‘59 neck and would switch pretty much every couple songs.

I have to say; I’ve never seen a SG 200 in the wild. Those look like some sort of low impedance pickups like the fuller sized LP Professional in the mid ‘70’s. How do they sound? Very cool and rare SG for sure! 👍

I still and will always have the ‘68 cherry SG and the cherry LP Junior. They’re like peas and carrots, they belong together. 😎
BTW, I found a correct knob for it since these pics were taken
IMG_0137.jpeg

IMG_0144.jpeg

IMG_0143.jpeg

telemarshall

Reaction score
$1500??!!!!

$1500???!!!!

Holy sh..

It was worth a bit more than that even then. I'd have bought that instantly.
At the time he offered to sell it to me, I had just bought 3-4 new guitars - so I reluctantly decided to pass on this one.. But of course now I wish I had snagged it... :facepalm:

And yeah - $1500 was a good price even back then. I actually told him to list it higher on CL, but he went with the 1500... It sold the very next day, of course.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Brown is the color of home furniture.

Buy one, and stock up on Lemon Pledge™.

Gibson is out of ideas.

V-man

Reaction score
Brown is the color of home furniture.

Buy one, and stock up on Lemon Pledge™.

Gibson is out of ideas.

How’s this for size…

Take this “brown idea,”
Put into a briefacase,
Drop the briefcase in a DeLorean w Flux Capacitor
Set the time for 2018
Hit 88 MPH in Gibson’s Nashville parking lot
Enter Ceasar’s office
Wait for his ghey authentic photoshoot to end
Beat the ever-loving fuck out of that D-bag w briefcase
Explain what ‘70s spec actually fucking is

Hope the message was received and we didn’t get those ‘20s V/Exp ‘70s guitar embarrassments and got the real fucking spec in natural mahogany finish.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
How’s this for size…

Take this “brown idea,”
Put into a briefacase,
Drop the briefcase in a DeLorean w Flux Capacitor
Set the time for 2018
Hit 88 MPH in Gibson’s Nashville parking lot
Enter Ceasar’s office
Wait for his ghey authentic photoshoot to end
Beat the ever-loving fuck out of that D-bag w briefcase
Explain what ‘70s spec actually fucking is

Hope the message was received and we didn’t get those ‘20s V/Exp ‘70s guitar embarrassments and got the real fucking spec in natural mahogany finish.
This is amazing. On the one hand, it's almost like I have no idea what you just said there, whilst on the other hand, it's as if you've crystalized my thoughts with an eloquence never before experienced in modern history.

Last edited:

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
At the time he offered to sell it to me, I had just bought 3-4 new guitars - so I reluctantly decided to pass on this one.. But of course now I wish I had snagged it... :facepalm:

And yeah - $1500 was a good price even back then. I actually told him to list it higher on CL, but he went with the 1500... It sold the very next day, of course.

I totally get that. If I had just bought 3 or 4 ...justifying another one that quickly would be difficult.

Lots of the time if I get one, another one has to be sold.

Price was amazing though.

Latest posts