• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

New Harley Benton PA-250 Attenuator

• Thread starter Tatzmann
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
so...I bought it and I was impressed, it works perfectly, .... I had the rivera rockcrusher, excellent, but like everyone it alters the sound slightly (even with the harley benton, for sure) but it costs 6 times more .... I wonder how this is possible?
Good decision.

The Rockcrusher uses quite expensive Ohmite resistors and generally is built with high quality
parts and assembly in mind, and in the usa ofcourse.

But quality wise there is nothing wrong with the
PA250, except maybe the slippy jacks, and this depends on what cable is used.

I havent looked inside yet, but it surely is not
an RC clone, more an "inspired-by" unit.

I think Thomann/HB has a total winner with
this unit, if it is reliable in the long run. Time will tell.

Could it be better, yes. But one always
has to keep the cost of production/saleprice
etc. in mind.

Last edited:

Capriccio

Reaction score
Gear is severely overpriced. There is no way we can justify the cost of an amp or guitar to anybody just based on what we are showing them. It isn't there in physical form. The money disappears in a black hole of various corporate explanations which could be true or false. We just don't know but I'd bet on brand tax being where the money goes and less likely into the pockets of the workers.

Today they might have excuses but not before COVID.
Good decision.

The Rockcrusher uses quite expensive Ohmite resistors and generally is built with high quality

etc. in mind.
I'd like to look inside but not now ...if someone have inside picture it was fantastic...I had a THD too and it was horrible I remember...With my big cables I don t have problem with slippy jacks... anyway this guy explain perfectly what I' think

to be clear I know that Harley benton did really bad things ...but know I really don't know what I have to think... help me :D

Wmacky1

Reaction score
Mine came today. strangely mine does not have a name on it, but is otherwise Indentical to the others online. Very happy so far. I'm now in my 50's and my ears are all blown out, but I really can't hear much difference in bypass, and attenuated. Sound good to me, and it looks high quality, especially for the price. Glad I didn't go for one of the $500 + units. My only concern is the reported distotion on the recording output. Has anyone else been able to confirm that was true, or if so has been resolved? I don't current;y have a good recording setup to test, but would like to if this unit will allow without issue/

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Congratz to your new tool.

Even though your advanced in age you
are still allowed to read the whole thread.:nutkick:

I wrote in my review some posts before that
the DI output works 100% fine.

There is no distortion if you set your amp
clean.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Anyway I'm only afraid that It blows up everything!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I'd be more afraid of an amp blowing out my ear drums, to be honest.

It still works for me, but I haven't been hitting it with more than 20W so far.

Still loud 15W and 20W amps, though, lol. Like eardrum busting loud.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Good decision.

etc. in mind.

@Tatzmann ,

It would certainly be sincerely appreciated if you could remove the 10 or 13 screws to pull off the cover and share a few gut shots! It would also be very helpfull if you'd willing to take a few simple measurements with a multi-meter? Please let me know on your willingness here? You'd be saving me the purchase and shipping price from germany to the US. On the other hand, upon seeing gut shots, I may still choose to purchase one to run a direct, side by side comparison to the @JohnH design!

Thank You,
Gene

Wmacky1

Reaction score
I pulled the bottom screws last night but it stayed togeher. I''ll check further this weekend

Wmacky1

Reaction score
I tried once more. Sorry guys, I won't be the one. I removed the 4 bottomr screws and 6 top screws. The top got loose in the back but was still locked to the front panel? I can see nothing holding it. The paint isn't the best and wanted to chip easily along the bottom seam. also lossened one of the feet screws and it won't full tighten. Must be a nut on the back??

I'm done!. Sure would have liked to look inside. Who's next?

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I tried once more. Sorry guys, I won't be the one. I removed the 4 bottomr screws and 6 top screws. The top got loose in the back but was still locked to the front panel? I can see nothing holding it. The paint isn't the best and wanted to chip easily along the bottom seam. also lossened one of the feet screws and it won't full tighten. Must be a nut on the back??

I'm done!. Sure would have liked to look inside. Who's next?
I ended up in the same place you did. I think a machine has pressed the sides in like it has been canned or something. This happened also to a small Palmer amp I had. I ended up bending metal to change a tube. Not fun.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I was also thinking if this was a bad unit that the competition would already have torn it open and paid an influencer to trash it hard.

Capriccio

Reaction score
I tried too but I gave up well before you :) ...anyways it stil works great ...and transformers stills there :fingersx:

JJB79

Reaction score
I got one of those. I got a 60W 6505+ combo that I don't really find it so necessary for lower volumes, the Peavey XXX I would say it seems to work quite well, the Mesa also don't really need but does help maybe a bit. For those that have seen my other post, I'm waiting on my Marshall so I'll see if I feel the need, but it is a 50w so maybe not.

Also consider that I'm not in an apt/wife/roommate situation so I don't need the volume to be too low, but just low enough I don't ruin my own hearing, or so I can play not so loud at like 1am lol

Tatzmann

Reaction score
It definately works acceptably well to about
-9db or even -12db.

I dont use attenuators on Mastervolume Amps much, they do a decent enough job if you dont have to turn it down to homevolume, so i dont bother.

I use attenuators mainly for Non-Mastervolume amps to just cut some of the highvolume that you reach when going for distortion.

Good decision!
Have fun hot rockin'!:jam:

Latest posts